JRock24

Rank I

Contributor III

Toledo, OH, USA
First Name
Jamie
Last Name
Durham
Hello, new to the board. I am slowly building up my 2020 Ram 1500 crew cab, and I'm currently looking at a 10" aluminum Max Modular truck bed rack for an iKamper Skycamp 3.0 Mini, or a 20" rack for the iKamper Skycamp 3.0.

Been going through the pro's and cons, like the lower being relatively behind the cab for less wind resistance saving some MPG. And lower to the ground making setup in and around the truck easier. But also the skycamp mini maybe being too cramped. It'll be me, my wife and our dog. Would definitely like to leave no doubt and get the bigger RTT, but that comes with being higher and extending over top of the cab adding a bunch more cons to the list.

I guess my question would be for anyone who's had either, or both of these setups:

- Would the higher rig's cons outweigh the lower?
- For anyone who owns a 3.0 mini, would you have rather have more space in your RTT in favor of losing some MPG's?

Any help in this area would be appreciated, especially before dropping this much coin!

Thanks!

JRock

JRock24

Rank I

Contributor III

Toledo, OH, USA
First Name
Jamie
Last Name
Durham
You already have a MASSIVE truck, the more you can keep your CG lower the better. There are quite a few solutions now that "pop up" and save you a ton of headaches vs a fixed solution.
Yeah, definitely going in with a bigger truck. That's all I have to work with at the moment. Do you have any examples of what you mean by "pop up?"

Influencer II

South Carolina, USA
First Name
Ryan
Last Name
Haskins
I have the voodo Fabrication max modular rack on my 2500 I have mine at cab height I think it’s an 18” by 88” since I have a long bed. I like the cab height so I can walk under my RTT and use the Annex. And with my 270 awning I wanted higher mounting to walk under. I’m 6’4 so it’s needed. A little more work to set up the windows on the tent, be we usually do it from inside.

Attachments

JRock24

Rank I

Contributor III

Toledo, OH, USA
First Name
Jamie
Last Name
Durham
I have the voodo Fabrication max modular rack on my 2500 I have mine at cab height I think it’s an 18” by 88” since I have a long bed. I like the cab height so I can walk under my RTT and use the Annex. And with my 270 awning I wanted higher mounting to walk under. I’m 6’4 so it’s needed. A little more work to set up the windows on the tent, be we usually do it from inside.
Nice! Great info. I've been talking with a voodoo rep and he was saying I needed a 22" to clear my antenna fin, with the tonneau brackets that would raise the overall height to 24.5. That's for any RTT that would overlap my cab. I really wish iKamper made an in between 2 and 4 person that wouldn't overlap, then I'd probably get a 14" or 18" like yours maybe, cause I do see your point on being able to walk under the RTT. Roofnest Condor Overland I think might be a 3 person that would be an option, I just really like the look and reviews of iKampers.

sfonteno

Rank I

Enthusiast I

Cedar Rapids, IA, USA
First Name
seth
Last Name
fontenot
Yeah, definitely going in with a bigger truck. That's all I have to work with at the moment. Do you have any examples of what you mean by "pop up?"
The two things I've seen is:
A. a pop up camper, you can google them, there are quite a few.
B. A truck enclosed toper for gear with an RTT extended. TSTN did one like this:
Also, keep the water low, avoid those dumb roof top water kits, that's just begging for roll overs and terrible on road driving.

Reactions: JRock24

Influencer II

South Carolina, USA
First Name
Ryan
Last Name
Haskins
Nice! Great info. I've been talking with a voodoo rep and he was saying I needed a 22" to clear my antenna fin, with the tonneau brackets that would raise the overall height to 24.5. That's for any RTT that would overlap my cab. I really wish iKamper made an in between 2 and 4 person that wouldn't overlap, then I'd probably get a 14" or 18" like yours maybe, cause I do see your point on being able to walk under the RTT. Roofnest Condor Overland I think might be a 3 person that would be an option, I just really like the look and reviews of iKampers.
mines a ram long bed so nothing out there would touch my cab. I have 8’3” of bed length to play with. That’s why I went with Voodoo. They make an actual long bed rack. It’s 88” long. Plus it mounts into the track on my tonneau cover. I went with the 23Zero tent because of the light suppression technology. It’s pitch black inside even in the brightest sunlight. Plus it was a king size bed, and 53” to center inside. We basecamp mostly at the lake with our boat. So being comfortable after setup was important to me. I’m 6’4 and can stand having to crouch or stoop for everything, hitting my head and so on. Love the annex for changing and dry storage too.

Attachments

TX95ZJ

Rank I

Enthusiast I

Dallas-Fort Worth Metropolitan Area, TX, USA
First Name
Brent
Last Name
RRR
I have a Skycamp Mini, and I would say you would need to get pretty creative to comfortably fit two adults and a dog in the tent with you. If your wife is short and the dog is small, you could potentially make it work. You also need to think about where to put any overnight gear you'll want to have with you (I've seen people use a hanging cargo net). Perhaps you could use a small, collapsible table that straddles your feet to hold some gear or a small doggie bed???

I've used mine with one kiddo (I'm 6'3" and he's about 4'), and there's just enough room for a small duffle or two without employing any "creative" measures.

MidOH

Rank IV

Off-Road Ranger I

Mid Ohio
First Name
John
Last Name
Clark
Ham/GMRS Callsign
YourHighness
I prefer a Bundutec RTT on a high mount.

An f250 or 2500 would laugh at the higher CG. But a 1500 is going to notice. Add a stiff rear sway bar and minimum of at least Fox 2.0 shocks (diesel valved). Consider an add a leaf maybe.

You're in Toledo. Are you sure you wouldn't find a FWC or Bundutec camper more useful?

I'd like to make the jump to a Bundutec hardside camper. (Winter travel) But I have to camp 15 weekends a year and travel for at least 5 more, before a $30k investment makes sense. I'm just not there yet. When the weather isn't fun, we get a hotel.

P8trit

Rank II

Enthusiast III

Montana
First Name
Travis
Last Name
Campbell
If your actually going to hit back country roads and do long travel I would stay as low as possible with the biggest tent you can fit, Lots of light weight tents out now.

JRock24

Rank I

Contributor III

Toledo, OH, USA
First Name
Jamie
Last Name
Durham
If your actually going to hit back country roads and do long travel I would stay as low as possible with the biggest tent you can fit, Lots of light weight tents out now.
Thanks for the reply. And that's pretty much the direction I'm leaning. Currently looking at Billie Bars (5 or 8 inch not sure yet), and Roofnest Condor or Condor XL. The XL will stick out by a couple inches off the back of the bed, which I know will annoy me a bit. But might just have to sacrifice to have more space in the tent. Looking at some of the other cheaper tent options too, like the Ironman Nomad or Rough Country Hard Top. But as far as rack I'm almost 100% Billie Bars with a molle panel on one side.

Reactions: P8trit

P8trit

Rank II

Enthusiast III

Montana
First Name
Travis
Last Name
Campbell
Thanks for the reply. And that's pretty much the direction I'm leaning. Currently looking at Billie Bars (5 or 8 inch not sure yet), and Roofnest Condor or Condor XL. The XL will stick out by a couple inches off the back of the bed, which I know will annoy me a bit. But might just have to sacrifice to have more space in the tent. Looking at some of the other cheaper tent options too, like the Ironman Nomad or Rough Country Hard Top. But as far as rack I'm almost 100% Billie Bars with a molle panel on one side.
If you havent look at the uptop overlanding racks. great fit and quality that has a mid height that kept mine down but also gave me some head room to crawl in the bed.