Looking for info regarding condtions on the ID BDR

• HTML tutorial

stevenboise

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Boise, ID, USA
Member #

We are looking at doing section 1 of the ID BDR the week before the NWOR in Plain. We’d like to go up into section 2, but we can’t seem to find any current info from the Forest Service’s website regarding road closures from last year’s fire.

We found some info dated last year talking about Trinity Mountain Road (172) being closed but, like I said, that seems dated. The ID BDR page’s most recent update was from last August as well.

We’d like to make it up to Lowman from Jawbidge then come out at Lowman and head to Plain. If getting to Lowman isn’t possible, we’ll probably come out around Anderson Ranch Reservoir.

Anyone have any recent info regarding Section 2 of the ID BDR, or a link to a webpage that has current road closures and access information?

stevenboise

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Boise, ID, USA
Member #

Have you tried calling the Ranger Districts down there? They should be doing weekly road updates now. My area (Magruder/Lolo Motorway) is still mostly closed and the Forest Service provides weekly updates.

Not sure if you've seen these reports yet. https://www.fs.usda.gov/alerts/boise/alerts-notices
I did not see those. Thanks for that link. Looks like NFS172 is technically open now. The order expired May 31, 2017.....now, that doesn't mean it's passable, lol.

I bookmarked that link. Thanks again!

OffroadTreks

Rank IV

Advocate II

Nomad
Member #

It's not passable. I just tried driving a section of it over memorial day weekend. During my big fat, no luck trip.

I tried two different sections and even a go around and just keep getting turned around. Even after a ranger told me a section was open. We encountered downed trees and washed out road.

The pioneer fire and the snow pack have done a number up there.

I have two tracks you can see where I got stopped.

https://www.gaiagps.com/public/WUbYZwLdrj80ROSt3JEaZYTI

https://www.gaiagps.com/datasummary/track/6f11472867b1d82ce3325f1df22b8b33/

Reactions: britz

britz

Rank VI
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Musselshell, Idaho
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K6YTI
Great pics. Looks like you guys down south are running around the same as the snow conditions here. I went up the Lolo Motorway Monday and made it to 5200 ft at Pete Forks/ Beaver Saddle intersection.

Reactions: OffroadTreks

stevenboise

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Boise, ID, USA
Member #

It's not passable. I just tried driving a section of it over memorial day weekend. During my big fat, no luck trip.

I tried two different sections and even a go around and just keep getting turned around. Even after a ranger told me a section was open. We encountered downed trees and washed out road.

The pioneer fire and the snow pack have done a number up there.

I have two tracks you can see where I got stopped.

https://www.gaiagps.com/public/WUbYZwLdrj80ROSt3JEaZYTI

https://www.gaiagps.com/datasummary/track/6f11472867b1d82ce3325f1df22b8b33/

Great pic......thanks.

Looks like we'll do Section 1 till Anderson Dam. We'll try to find something not flooded and camp then head over to the NWOR.

I also noticed on the USFS link from above that a section of NF385 just closed for the rest of the year...:(

Thanks for all the help everyone!

Sent from my iPad using OB Talk

Reactions: OffroadTreks

OffroadTreks

Rank IV

Advocate II

Nomad
Member #

I'm thinking the route down to the start in Nevada should be wide open. But I dunno if it's scenic or boring, lol. Might have to drive it. Kind of bummed about NF385, think that is the one with the major wash out.

I am thinking of trying to do the Magurador (?sp) corridor later in the summer.

Reactions: britz

stevenboise

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Boise, ID, USA
Member #

I'm thinking the route down to the start in Nevada should be wide open. But I dunno if it's scenic or boring, lol. Might have to drive it. Kind of bummed about NF385, think that is the one with the major wash out.

I am thinking of trying to do the Magurador (?sp) corridor later in the summer.
Yeah, Section 1 may not be scenic, but we need to cross it off the list. We're going real slow and stopping at the Bruneau Sand dunes as well.

We are doing the Magruder/Lolo with a group from NWO in July. We're starting in Elk City and going around to the north. We're hoping to come down out of Pierce and reconnect with the BDR west of Elk City and make our way to Warm Lake afterwards.

We shall see. Lots of time between now and then for forest fires.

Sent from my iPhone using OB Talk

britz

Rank VI
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Musselshell, Idaho
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K6YTI
I'll be in on the July Magruder NWOL run. I'm trying to get down to Elk City this month to check conditions. I know it's closed around Red River right now. I was thinking after the Magruder portion, I'd bomb down 12 to the cabin, grab the kayak, ditch the dogs and boyfriend, then meet the group at Rocky Ridge Lake CG the next evening.
I'll be joining the August Treasure Valley NWOL group run for the Wallace to Pierce section as well, but will probably scoot back to the cabin for the night to check on the animals, then rejoin the next morning for the LM segment. I have a feeling I'll have run it several times if snow allows before then.

Already doing the no fire dance.