• HTML tutorial

AmyH

Rank II
Launch Member

Contributor III

Seattle, WA
Member #

Hi all,
I'm part of the NW group but traveling in my 80 Series down to Colorado (originally from C.Springs) for a little vacation. I got into overlanding after I moved to Washington so I'm looking for some advice on where to go for a couple days that is accessible from C.Springs or Denver area.

I'm probably by myself (happy to have anyone join who wants to!) and looking for some trails to run on Sunday/Monday the 22-23 of July.

Any tips, or trips already in the works I could glom onto?

Reactions: asturdivan

Neal A. Tew

US Rocky Mountain Local Expert
Mod Team

Member III

Pueblo West, CO
First Name
Neal
Last Name
Tew
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
N1TEW
Hi all,
I'm part of the NW group but traveling in my 80 Series down to Colorado (originally from C.Springs) for a little vacation. I got into overlanding after I moved to Washington so I'm looking for some advice on where to go for a couple days that is accessible from C.Springs or Denver area.

I'm probably by myself (happy to have anyone join who wants to!) and looking for some trails to run on Sunday/Monday the 22-23 of July.

Any tips, or trips already in the works I could glom onto?
Amy,

Are you coming just for this or will you be visiting a certain area already?

-neal

AmyH

Rank II
Launch Member

Contributor III

Seattle, WA
Member #

Amy,

Are you coming just for this or will you be visiting a certain area already?

-neal
I'm coming for other things around the state. I'll be in Colorado Springs on Sunday and need to end up near Fort Collins on Tuesday.

Graeman

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Catalina Avenue, Tucson, AZ, USA
First Name
Todd
Last Name
Hoffmaster
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7CRJ
Service Branch
Air Force
You can't go wrong with the Durango, Telluride, Silverton, Ouray area. The trails are awesome. I just got back from a 4 day camping trail ride and I loved it. We hit Ophir Pass, Corkscrew Pass, Engineer Pass, Imogene Pass, Black Bear Pass, Cinnamon Pass and Poughkeepsie Gulch. Best 4 day camping vacation ever. Did it all in my stock '98 4Runner with e-locker and 32" BFG's.

Neal A. Tew

Mod Team

Member III

Pueblo West, CO
First Name
Neal
Last Name
Tew
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
N1TEW
You can't go wrong with the Durango, Telluride, Silverton, Ouray area. The trails are awesome. I just got back from a 4 day camping trail ride and I loved it. We hit Ophir Pass, Corkscrew Pass, Engineer Pass, Imogene Pass, Black Bear Pass, Cinnamon Pass and Poughkeepsie Gulch. Best 4 day camping vacation ever. Did it all in my stock '98 4Runner with e-locker and 32" BFG's.
While those trails are arguably the best around, Ouray is about 7 hours from Ft. Collins.

Amy, are you up for that much pavement or would you rather stay closer to the Front Range?

Neal A. Tew

Mod Team

Member III

Pueblo West, CO
First Name
Neal
Last Name
Tew
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
N1TEW
Wow, that far???? It was only 9hrs from Phoenix to there.
Yes, 6.5 hrs according to Google Maps for the shortest path. I added 1/2 hr for stops. The Rocky Mountains are in the way.

It took a lot of getting used to moving here several years ago. You can't drive directly to any place west of the front range. You always have to drive over or around some mountain.

If Amy doesn't mind that, that could be part of the fun. Get the iOverlander app and find camping along the way and then hit a couple of the best trails around Ouray. You could make a big loop of it.

Graeman

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

First Name
Todd
Last Name
Hoffmaster
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7CRJ
Service Branch
Air Force
If you decide to do that I would say the best trails are Imogene - high elevation, Black Bear - awesome views and difficult sections, and Corkscrew - relaxing, fun short trail. Black Bear being the hardest of the trails. Engineer is a long trail and one to consider as it is an west to east trail that will end in Lake City - one of my favorite towns. Sportsman's has the best Texas style bbq food in all of Colorado.

AmyH

Rank II
Launch Member

Contributor III

Seattle, WA
Member #

Thank you for your suggestions! I'd love to hit Ouray and see some friends at the FJ Summit but it's a little too far. Also dying to do both Black Bear and Engineer but I'm solo and have a strict rule of not doing anything that remote without another vehicle in tow. I'll check out some of the others.

Graeman

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

First Name
Todd
Last Name
Hoffmaster
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7CRJ
Service Branch
Air Force
That is the wonderful thing about those trails - you are never alone. But I get it, always more safe/fun in groups.