Launch Member

Enthusiast III

South Florida
First Name
Charlie
Last Name
Mike
Member #

Looking for a new set of binoculars. Nothing extra fancy. Just something I can keep in the truck and use at any moment. Any suggestions?

Boort

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Colorado
Member #

@Chuckem12

Looking for a new set of binoculars. Nothing extra fancy. Just something I can keep in the truck and use at any moment. Any suggestions?
I love my hand me down Nikon 10x50's Dad brought 2 sets home from his time in the Airforce (Picked up while in Asia). One for him and the other for my grandfather. Grandpa kept his on his boat for the last 40 years, I got them when he passed. Still work as well as when new. The modern equivalent would likely be the Nikon 7245 10x50 EX or the Nikon 8248 / A211 10x50.

I also keep a compact pair of Bushnell 7x25 in the console of the rig, for spotting trails and getting a quick look at wildlife on the trial.

A buddy got a pair of no name 15x70 Binocular that came with a Tripod mount which he uses for birding and looking at objects in the night sky. For the <$50 he paid they are very light weight and work very well.

Boort

TSnider

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Carbondale, CO
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KE0UYA
Vortex Diamondbacks if they arent too expensive for you. You can find them used for 120 on forums or craigslist. Vortex will replace them if you even run them over. 10x42

If you have more money, the Vortex Vipers are what I have now. Id eventually like the Razors but Vipers are good enough for hunting for now.

Desert Runner

Rank VII
Launch Member

Expedition Master III

Southern Nevada
First Name
Jerold
Last Name
F.
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
/GMRS=WREA307
Have a set of Nikon compact 10 power, A great lightweight pair. I also purchased years ago, some East German military ones, that were used on the Wall. They were made by Ziess, and a compatible set (armored) would have been North of $500 i think easily. Excellent lenses on them. They were the best at the time. THEY HAVE THE BUILT IN RANGE FINDER. Have done Tasco as a knock about set, good for casual use, not long, due to eye strain, BUT INEXPENSIVE..

I also have a pair of BAUSH AND lOMB? 8x40, made in the early 1960's. At the time they were high quality, with 1st gen lens coating. Today cheap pairs have comparable coatings. These are from my dad, and are treasured as a keepsake.

Do some research, do the Amazon reviews. When you find some that interest you, write down the model numbers and go to a sporting goods store that has a selection. A 7x or 8x pair should be good. 10 power becomes a little hard to keep steady, over time and long use. Also better coatings are very appreciated at dawn and dusk, as light gathering is enhanced.

Binoculars get expensive real quick, just like quality rifle scopes. Unless money is no object, research will allow a happy medium between $$$ spent and a happy wallet.

EDIT: Years ago while deer-hunting, some deer were not very far away from us. Maybe 50-70 yards, this was at dusk, and right at the legal cut-off time. Thru my older non gen 4 Leopold scope, I could see them. My father could see them by eyesight, but not thru his scope. This is where quality is important, as the price for the lens coatings comes down as new generation equipment is released. Post back what you finally decide on.

Last edited:
Reactions: RichieFromBoston

Flipper

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Florida
First Name
John
Last Name
F
Member #

Some specs to look at when purchasing is the first number is the power or magnification, 2 number is how wide an area you see, BAK rating , the lower number the better, 3 would be better than a 4 , and light transmission in %, the higher the better. Nikon has great specs and quality at a very reasonable price range. If you have deep pockets, Steiner. Happy Shopping!

Corbet

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Durango, CO
First Name
Corbet
Last Name
Hoover
Member #

Vortex is generally a solid choice at nearly any price point IMHO. I’ve got a set of older viper 8x50’s that I use hunting. And set of similar priced Leupolds that are no where near as nice.

Last edited:
Reactions: TSnider