Looking at nav-com handhelds. Need opinions/reviews.

• HTML tutorial

O2Thrp

Rank I
Launch Member

Member I

Missouri and Kansas
First Name
Steve
Last Name
Ward
Member #

Time to add a sat com handheld. I'm looking at both the Garmin Explorer+ and the 66i. I know the Explorer+ is tried and true, and that the Mini is being used by many, but I'm looking for any reviews on the 66i. Does anyone have one that could offer an Overland related review? Is it worth the cost over the Explorer+? I'm looking at it for Overland/hiking safety with the added hiking routing/mapping set up. I already have nav in the truck that has done better than expected with forest roads and I carry topo maps when available for the areas I travel. What I've found so far is the 66i has/had some initial issues that Garmin is/was working on. The most important to me is the weather issue (unable to download weather from the sats). I was recently camping on the Buffalo River with a 20% chance of rain at my last cell service check. We got 4-6" of rain in less than 24 hours while areas to the west of us got upwards of 10". The river came up several feet that night. I figure the forecast changed at some time but I wasn't able to get the update. I'm also in my mid 50's so the SOS feature is gaining priority in my loadout.
Any reviews or comparisons are appreciated.

Thanks,
O2Thrpy

1Louder

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member II

AZ
First Name
Chris
Last Name
K
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K1LDR
Lots of reviews on the InReach. So search for that. I would say most people are happy with them including me. I have never heard of the other device. It doesn't mean it is better or worse. I just have never heard of it. Personally I would prefer the new small Garmin InReach and just use my phone. I have no need to 2 different navigation screens and I carry a small battery backup in the rare chance I need to charge something.

Reactions: tundra21

RoarinRow

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Elk Grove, CA, USA
First Name
Rolando
Last Name
Nispiros
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6JJS

dstock

Rank VI

Influencer I

Lake Arrowhead, CA, USA
First Name
Dave
Last Name
Stockslager
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KM6ZGS
Wow that's a nice unit. Just bought my InReach mini so I won't be upgrading anytime soon lol.
Yeah, I updated my InReach last year on one of the Costco sales so I won't be upgrading mine anytime soon either. Agreed though, nice looking unit for sure.

Reactions: RoarinRow

kivo

Rank II
Launch Member

Member III

Geel, Belgium
First Name
Kid
Last Name
Van Ouytsel
Member #

My own Garmin experiences so far are to wait a bit with a purchase until all - at least most - of the bugs are out... I've had and have multiple handheld (and other) Garmin devices, currently a GpsMap 64 for outdoor use, but the 64 was one I did wait with to purchase until a while on the market. Never had an issue with it so far, as to compared with my others I usually bought soon after release. Inreach features look interesting though.

CurrentlyRockhoundin

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Spokane, WA
First Name
Jared
Last Name
Goguen
Member #

I think the real question is will you really be needing the InReach feature? If yes then invest in it however I think for most people it's a little over kill, that just my opinion since you asked for it.

I know it's a little off the subject but I have used a simple Garmin eTrex 20 for sometime now and I have found it to be a great product and at under $150 its a lot easier to get into then something like the 66i which is over $500. Yeah it doesn't have InReach but if you leave a travel plan with someone, have phone, and a HAM is InReach needed? Just a thought.

Last edited: