Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Snohomish, WA, USA
First Name
Cody
Last Name
Streeter
Member #

To see the photos and links, follow the link below or link in my profile.

Our current cooler

Seems like forever ago when I bought this Tepui Kukenam Sky. So much has happened between now and then. Lots of camping trips and life events. Through all of it the tent was saddled up and ready to roll out at a moment’s notice, which is a nice feature of a tent that is mounted on the truck already. I can’t begin to count the amount of last minute trips I have done.
I bought the tent at Mule Expedition Outfitters in Issaquah, WA in July of 2017 (Shout out to Mule). Immediately we took it out. Not that we needed a new excuse to take a trip as we had already been going all over the Northwest and California before the tent anyway.

Here we are, 2,730 miles away from Mule and 745 days later after purchasing. This tent has been on the truck for about 65k miles, 16ish states, seen the Pacific and Atlantic, mountains and beaches.

Time has done a number on the tent. Before I start talking about what we’ve learned, and the damages, I want to point out that we have not been kind to the tent or taken steps to protect it, like taking it off the truck during winters.

I am not affiliated with any company mentioned or sponsored by them.
This article is my opinion. There is no sponsored 70k dollar Insta-landing here.

The tent is a 2017 Tepui Kukenam Sky. They have probably made changes in manufacturing since then, so I can’t speak for what they have learned through R&D. If you are planning on getting a tent, contact the manufacturer to see what they have done to prevent some of the cons I mention below.

Pros:

Space savings. It saved us lots of space inside of our small truck as well. Now the tent and other sleeping stuff can be out of the bed or cab and safely contained on top of the rack. If you have a small truck or Jeep, then you know storage is constantly a battle.
Safety and security. The Tepui definitely beats being on the ground in a thin plastic tent any day. Katrin loves that it’s up away from where bears and the bumps in the night could just walk through the walls. Also, when we hear something roaming around or the dogs start barking, we have a nice vantage point to see out like a tree stand. All of the windows open fully as well, if you really want to use it as a tree stand.

Beating the rain, snow, and mud. The times when we have camped in the rain, we never woke up in a puddle. Despite being a bit wet on the walls and edges of the mattress. When it comes to rain, we have had to put the tent away wet on multiple days back in August of 2018 when we were living full time in the truck. (A con mentioned below) The rain fly for this model is great for a night or two in the wet but eventually all of the fabric being stuffed inside the rubber cover gets everything wet, it’s not water tight. When it comes to snow and mud, you’ll be in the clear, since it requires no ground clearing to set up. Plus, you won’t be laying on top of the snow.
Durability. The materials have been mostly durable. Including the YKK zippers, mattress, fabrics, rain fly, and actual base of the tent, which has some small dents but remains solid. The ladder has also held up very well despite rain, mud, and a dog or two being carried up and down it. Once you see a roof top tent in person, you’ll notice that the fabrics and other materials used are not cut from the cheap stuff.

Great Support. If you don’t like the mattress, you can buy a plush one. Getting moist? They have a mat for that. Shoe bags to keep your dirt outside. Add on rooms/annex, a table for inside the tent, insulation, and replacement parts all on the website.

It’s clean. Less dirt and bugs get into the tent being up so high. The ladder itself helps knock off the crud from your hiking boots while you’re climbing up. If you get the shoe bags then you’re even better off. This is also great when we camped on the beach last year. We all know how sand gets into EVERYTHING.

Time. I have spent a great deal of time outside in lots of portable shelters and tents. I have even slept in nothing more than just a sleeping bag. The advertised time to set up on Tepui’s website is “just a few minutes” which is accurate to say. In my experience, set up time is invested in three steps. (1) Getting the truck/tent level (we like to use sticks, rocks, or preferably our GoTreads) (2) Getting the cover off/opening it, and (3) setting it up for use (making the bed and opening the windows).

On WA BDR

Cons:

What’s breaking or not going well?

The plastic vapor barrier. (I think that’s what it is.) It’s peeling and there doesn’t appear to be much to do about it. The exterior of it is getting the usual dust from the trail as well and being beaten on by the brush hanging over many of the back roads of the USA. On the inside it’s being rubbed by the mattress getting all manner of things under it.

The base. As mentioned above, despite being durable, the aluminum base has a few dents in it, which haven’t had any adverse effects on our use of the tent but I am keeping an eye on it. The ladder is wearing it out in a few spots too. None of the other aluminum components are showing wear. Despite 2 adults sleeping in the tent and occasionally a dog.

The ladder is beating the heck out of everything it touches. Both the rubber cover and the aluminum base that is sits on. The ladder is wearing a hole through not only the plastic barrier but the paint and maybe given a few more years the base as well.

WATER. After moving to Roanoke, Virginia from Seattle, there has been lots of water intrusion. Since the cover has a few holes in it, the nightly thunderstorms have been battling me to keep the fabric wet. Yes, I know, I will replace the cover soon. Even with a new cover, the small rain fly that comes with the tent isn’t going to keep you perfectly dry in a heavy downpour. Tepui does offer better weather proofing, but of course this review is of the Kukenam as it is.

If you plan to camp in a prolonged manner though a few days of rain, plan for the mattress to get wet. Once you pack up the wet tent fabric, it’s all going to rub together and remain wet inside the rubber cover. When we camped out last summer the constant thunder storms were killing us. White mold or mildew started appearing on the fabric and blue looking mold is appearing in some spots as well too, which provided us with a smell too.

Weight. I have a vehicle specifically known for rolling over. I drive it with this in mind so it’s not a major concern for me. Still though, the Kukenam weighs about 130 pounds. Plus blankets. If you’re like me, that is not the only added weight. I built a custom bed rack that also changed the vehicles center of gravity. Just be aware that it may change the handling of your vehicle. Also, know your vehicles gross vehicle weight rating.

The only other major damage was upon arrival from the factory. There was a drill bit stuck in the hole for the window pole. I drilled a new one and moved on. This was the only factory defect to my knowledge. I didn’t really try to get in touch with Tepui about it. I had the tent already, I just wanted to use it.

Interior vapor barrier peeling

The ladder is rubbing here

All things considered?

If you are in the market, I would gladly recommend Tepui or really, most big brands.
I have been on a few trips with other types of tents and from what I have gathered, Tepui, Free Spirit Recreation, and Cascadia Vehicle Tents are all manufactured in the same facility or get the parts from a similar supplier. The owners of these tents have all been very satisfied with the product and customer service.
After living in this tent and the many trips, I really do like the size, price, and overall performance. The Kukenam is in the lower end of the price range and it holds its own as a great tent.
In the future, I will be looking for a hard-shell type tent and maybe something that has better drying and water proofing. For example, the James Baroud hard shell series with the closed self-contained ventilation, not only good for hot nights but for drying the tent while closed. The price is much higher than our current tent though.

Where I drilled a new hole

The ladder rests here when stored

Exterior plastic peeling

Comment below what tent you have or plan to have!
Have you had any issues with your tent?

For more reviews and trip reports. Adventure_Trac

Last edited:

jeepers29

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer II

Georgetown, TX, USA
Member #

I just finished a 6 week trip with my kids. Myself and my 18 year old son slept in our free spirit every night and really slept well. So much better than sleeping on the ground. Nice honest write up.

Cody Streeter

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Snohomish, WA, USA
First Name
Cody
Last Name
Streeter
Member #

I just finished a 6 week trip with my kids. Myself and my 18 year old son slept in our free spirit every night and really slept well. So much better than sleeping on the ground. Nice honest write up.
I'm glad you enjoyed both the write up and your new tent. Six weeks is a long time, where all did you go?

jeepers29

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer II

Georgetown, TX, USA
Member #

I'm glad you enjoyed both the write up and your new tent. Six weeks is a long time, where all did you go?
We left central Texas on June, 2nd. Went to Sedona , Az, The Grand Canyon, Sequoia Nat Park, Yosemite, San Fran, Redwoods Nat Park, Crater Lake, Capital Reef Nat Park. Finised with a week in Pagosa Springs, Co and a week in Ouray , Co. My son graduated HS this year and this is what he wanted to do before heading off to college. Great trip that I hope the kids remember for a lifetime.

Cody Streeter

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Snohomish, WA, USA
First Name
Cody
Last Name
Streeter
Member #

We left central Texas on June, 2nd. Went to Sedona , Az, The Grand Canyon, Sequoia Nat Park, Yosemite, San Fran, Redwoods Nat Park, Crater Lake, Capital Reef Nat Park. Finised with a week in Pagosa Springs, Co and a week in Ouray , Co. My son graduated HS this year and this is what he wanted to do before heading off to college. Great trip that I hope the kids remember for a lifetime.
That IS an amazing trip! I'm sure they will always remember it!

Road

Not into ranks, titles or points.
Launch Member

Advocate III

On the road in North America
First Name
Road
Last Name
Dude
Member #

Comment below what tent you have or plan to have!
Have you had any issues with your tent?

For more reviews and trip reports. Adventure_Trac

Great, honest review, Cody, nicely done.

I've owned and used a hardshell tent for almost two years and have had it out adventuring around North America for somewhere around 500 nights in that time. I bought mine used from a fellow who used it for a nine week adventure with his son.

You may be a lot happier with a hardshell, as far as obvious wear or plastic film, wear spots, and water ingress. I'm not sure it matters much which hardshell you go with as far as the simpler ones like mine, as I bet that, as you've seen with soft tents, most may be made in the same few factories in China and get private branded, perhaps with a few modifications such as closures, interior fabrics, etc.

Random points and thoughts on using my hardshell rooftop tent:
- VERY easy to deploy and stow back away. Undo four latch straps and give it a shove and it pops open. There are four back up strap/buckles I use when on the highway or interstate. Just about as easy to close, though you will have a much easier time if you leave all window covers unzipped so it does not billow out when you collapse top shell to bottom shell. Easy tuck here and there, and fasten the four straps, done.
- I get a little water in at the windows from time to time, though usually more from my not zipping things up before rain hits. Any moisture at the mattress edge has always dried easily. Sometimes I'll prop something under the mattress edge at the window or entry to allow more air.
- I have a simple extension ladder which I collapse and store in the tent before closing. It has a durable bag to slip into, though I just put the ladder on the mattress and comforter and drape the bag over it so it doesn't wear at the foam lining the upper shell. No wear from the ladder where it contacts the opening in use.
- It has a net attached to the ceiling inside for stuffing your clothes etc, though I think it sags too much with not much weight at all, so I use it mostly for light stuff and a light.
- There are regular household coat hooks in each corner at the head of the tent. None at the rear. These get used a lot to keep clothes hanging out of the way while sleeping.
- There are hanging side pockets on each side at the head of the tent. These get used a lot too.
- I've found having a regular old style TV tray or cookie sheet up there helps tremendously in having a good flat space to put stuff so it doesn't spill or roll away.
- No problems with the struts or shells or zippers
- The mattress on mine is, if I recall correctly, 82" L x 54" W and allows 33" from top of mattress to the upper inside shell. I think the mattress is a bit on the soft, thin, side so keep a doubled-over comforter under any sleeping arrangement.
- I rarely ever have it completely zipped up, even in big rain, and almost always have the end window covers zipped down four or five inches for cross ventilation. I keep the entry screen zipped but not the cover, even in cold weather. This arrangement keep rain out. Where I get rain water coming in occasionally is at the bottom of the entry opening and/or the bottom of the opposite opening (which can also be used for the ladder, though does not have an awning over it).
- I've been impressed with how well the tent sides shed rain, even after two + years
- The shells seem to be holding up well with no fractures or wear holes. I may be cleaning, sanding, and painting the top, more as part of an overall color scheme for van, tent, and trailer, not because it needs it.
- I like the tent, but can't say I've had real good luck with the vendor, mostly because of communication issues. I've never had to deal with them for parts or warranty or any other issue so can't speak to that.

I researched and looked at every type and brand of rooftop tent out there, I bet. In the end chose to go with a hardshell and have been quite pleased with my choice.

Here's an image from a couple days ago. There are a ton more, including some of the inside, on my insta at @roaddude

xv2-n-van-1907114-1000.jpg

Cody Streeter

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Snohomish, WA, USA
First Name
Cody
Last Name
Streeter
Member #

Great, honest review, Cody, nicely done.

I've owned and used a hardshell tent for almost two years and have had it out adventuring around North America for somewhere around 500 nights in that time. I bought mine used from a fellow who used it for a nine week adventure with his son.

You may be a lot happier with a hardshell, as far as obvious wear or plastic film, wear spots, and water ingress. I'm not sure it matters much which hardshell you go with as far as the simpler ones like mine, as I bet that, as you've seen with soft tents, most may be made in the same few factories in China and get private branded, perhaps with a few modifications such as closures, interior fabrics, etc.

Random points and thoughts on using my hardshell rooftop tent:
- VERY easy to deploy and stow back away. Undo four latch straps and give it a shove and it pops open. There are four back up strap/buckles I use when on the highway or interstate. Just about as easy to close, though you will have a much easier time if you leave all window covers unzipped so it does not billow out when you collapse top shell to bottom shell. Easy tuck here and there, and fasten the four straps, done.
- I get a little water in at the windows from time to time, though usually more from my not zipping things up before rain hits. Any moisture at the mattress edge has always dried easily. Sometimes I'll prop something under the mattress edge at the window or entry to allow more air.
- I have a simple extension ladder which I collapse and store in the tent before closing. It has a durable bag to slip into, though I just put the ladder on the mattress and comforter and drape the bag over it so it doesn't wear at the foam lining the upper shell. No wear from the ladder where it contacts the opening in use.
- It has a net attached to the ceiling inside for stuffing your clothes etc, though I think it sags too much with not much weight at all, so I use it mostly for light stuff and a light.
- There are regular household coat hooks in each corner at the head of the tent. None at the rear. These get used a lot to keep clothes hanging out of the way while sleeping.
- There are hanging side pockets on each side at the head of the tent. These get used a lot too.
- I've found having a regular old style TV tray or cookie sheet up there helps tremendously in having a good flat space to put stuff so it doesn't spill or roll away.
- No problems with the struts or shells or zippers
- The mattress on mine is, if I recall correctly, 82" L x 54" W and allows 33" from top of mattress to the upper inside shell. I think the mattress is a bit on the soft, thin, side so keep a doubled-over comforter under any sleeping arrangement.
- I rarely ever have it completely zipped up, even in big rain, and almost always have the end window covers zipped down four or five inches for cross ventilation. I keep the entry screen zipped but not the cover, even in cold weather. This arrangement keep rain out. Where I get rain water coming in occasionally is at the bottom of the entry opening and/or the bottom of the opposite opening (which can also be used for the ladder, though does not have an awning over it).
- I've been impressed with how well the tent sides shed rain, even after two + years
- The shells seem to be holding up well with no fractures or wear holes. I may be cleaning, sanding, and painting the top, more as part of an overall color scheme for van, tent, and trailer, not because it needs it.
- I like the tent, but can't say I've had real good luck with the vendor, mostly because of communication issues. I've never had to deal with them for parts or warranty or any other issue so can't speak to that.

I researched and looked at every type and brand of rooftop tent out there, I bet. In the end chose to go with a hardshell and have been quite pleased with my choice.

Here's an image from a couple days ago. There are a ton more, including some of the inside, on my insta at @roaddude

View attachment 108323
THAT is an extensive response!!! I appreciate the comment and most of what you said is great to hear, since a hard shell is what I'm aiming for next. I think depending on what one I get I may or may not be able to use the tips about the ladder. But the TV trays are genius!

Reactions: Road

Road

Launch Member

Advocate III

First Name
Road
Last Name
Dude
Member #

THAT is an extensive response!!! I appreciate the comment and most of what you said is great to hear, since a hard shell is what I'm aiming for next. I think depending on what one I get I may or may not be able to use the tips about the ladder. But the TV trays are genius!
Good, glad it helps. I'm a nerd for testing and reviewing gear and geek out on tweaking things for better performance.

I meant to mention, too, that I've not really had a problem with condensation or thought I needed a condensation mat under the foam mattress. I believe that happens mostly to folks who zip things up tight against the weather. Then their own exhalations are trapped and condense on various cooler surfaces. As long as I left the end windows and side entry open a bit so air could move across the top of the interior space, I have had no problem with condensation.

Cody Streeter

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Snohomish, WA, USA
First Name
Cody
Last Name
Streeter
Member #

Good, glad it helps. I'm a nerd for testing and reviewing gear and geek out on tweaking things for better performance.

I meant to mention, too, that I've not really had a problem with condensation or thought I needed a condensation mat under the foam mattress. I believe that happens mostly to folks who zip things up tight against the weather. Then their own exhalations are trapped and condense on various cooler surfaces. As long as I left the end windows and side entry open a bit so air could move across the top of the interior space, I have had no problem with condensation.
I think the mat would be best used in either humid places, or near the beach. A friend of mine had an issue along the coast of Washington state with it while fishing. He made his own mat and its worked great for him.

Road

Launch Member

Advocate III

First Name
Road
Last Name
Dude
Member #

I think the mat would be best used in either humid places, or near the beach. A friend of mine had an issue along the coast of Washington state with it while fishing. He made his own mat and its worked great for him.
Oh I've used my rooftop tent in every type of environment and weather imaginable in the last two years, from Padre Island NS where it was SO humid my awning just dripped water and my bike chain rusted in mere days, to the bayous and swamps of southern Louisiana along the Gulf of Mexico where you felt like you could cut through the humidity, to no humidity at all in the high desert borderlands of West Texas. My point is that with the right ventilation in a hard shell tent and not zipping up tight, at least in mine, I have not had any real problem with condensation or needed a mat under the foam.

Reactions: Cody Streeter