Bonner Springs, Kansas, United States
First Name
Lucas
Last Name
Antes
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KE0ZXA
Looking to add either lockers or some sort of LSD to my '04 WJ. I'd prefer to have sometime requiring little to no maintenance out of the ordinary and be as budget friendly as possible. Anyone have any suggestions? It's daily driven, so I'd like to maintain as much of the driveabilty as possible since it sees a lot of city usage. I'd prefer to maintain near stock gearing as I am running basically 30" tires and will continue to do so as the mild lift I plan of doing will only yield about 1.5" of lift and will level out the ride. Thank you in advance!

The other Sean

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Minneapolis
Member #

My personal opinion is saying no to rear LSD on anything that will see highway speeds and snow/ice. I've owned a few vehicles that had them and ALL felt light in the rear during and just after snowstorms. My old Ford Ranger regularly liked to have it's rear try to pass the front. I prefer a selectable locker here in MN.

Kanobee

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Queen Creek, AZ
First Name
Leo
Last Name
G
Member #

i would have to agree, a selectable locker would be best. maybe not the cheapest route but certainly feels better in term of control on different surfaces

1derer

Rank V
Launch Member

Traveler II

Carlsbad, CA, USA
First Name
user
Last Name
name
Member #

I have been a huge fan of the Assuie Locker but living in CA I don't have to deal with a lot of ice. I have had my rig in the snow without any real issues besides slowing down and being more careful which is a good thing anyway. They are better on long wheel base with automatic transmissions. Sure no way to debate that selectable is the best of both worlds but if money is an option personally I'd give it a try. Here is a video how you can expect a auto locker to sound in a tight corner. I have no experience with lunchbox lockers in a jeep (Disclaimer)

Classic City Overland

Rank III
Launch Member

Influencer II

Athens, GA
First Name
Eric
Last Name
Gagnon
Member #

I 'm in GA so snow isnt much of an issue, but we get alot of ice in the winter. I had a LSD in my rig, it was the Dana Trac-loc in the D44, It wasnt a very strong LSD but it was indifferent in ice/snow vs dry driving. I now have a Powertrax no-slip locker in the rear, and its drivable in the snow, if your going straight. But if you hit ice or take a turn on some slick stuff you'll go around and around. I have gotten out of snow/ice covered hill street before by driving in "3 wheel" drive before to help get decent traction all around