Launch Member

Influencer I

Tuscaloosa, Alabama, USA
First Name
Steve
Last Name
Shepard
Member #

I have recently started using iOverlander to help locate campsites and log/post the ones I find. It does seem to have relatively sparse coverage and is very clunky to use. I see the OB web site has a map feature, but doesn’t seem to have much listed in the areas I frequent (primarily the southeast).

Does anyone have a better recommendation for finding and logging overland campsites?

1Louder

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member II

AZ
First Name
Chris
Last Name
K
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K1LDR
The few iOverlander spots I checked out I was not impressed with (right on a main road) and also full of trash. I know not all of them are that way.

I prefer to pick my own unless there are specific required spots along a trail. I also use Ultimate Campground for potential spots.

However, the more people recommend a share spots the more likely they are to be taken and or trashed. See (Oregon Closing Dispersed Camping)

Tundracamper

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer I

Tuscaloosa, Alabama, USA
First Name
Steve
Last Name
Shepard
Member #

That is interesting. Where I travel, dispersed campsites are generally pretty clean. Not really interested in campgrounds, per se. I prefer to camp away from other campers.

Matthew Reed

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Georgia
First Name
Matthew
Last Name
Reed
Member #

I use iOverlander a fair amount. It’s usually what I use to find backup campsites. 90% of the time I find something much better on my way to the site I had picked out but it’s always nice to have alternates. Also if I’m in an area I haven’t been before I can get an idea of what’s in the area.

LostWoods

Rank IV
Launch Member

Member III

Phoenix, AZ, USA
First Name
Andrew
Last Name
lastname
Member #

The problem with popular apps like iOverlander and others is that once they become popular, everyone starts using them and not everyone has the same respect for sites. It's the same reason you are hard pressed to get anyone to tell you where to wheel on the east coast - if they get too popular, they get trashed and closed down.

The apps are good for more dispersed sites but for anything easily accessed, I haven't exactly had positive experiences and normally come out with a bag full of trash.

Reactions: Matthew Reed

Matthew Reed

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Georgia
First Name
Matthew
Last Name
Reed
Member #

The problem with popular apps like iOverlander and others is that once they become popular, everyone starts using them and not everyone has the same respect for sites. It's the same reason you are hard pressed to get anyone to tell you where to wheel on the east coast - if they get too popular, they get trashed and closed down.

The apps are good for more dispersed sites but for anything easily accessed, I haven't exactly had positive experiences and normally come out with a bag full of trash.
Same. Actually the first site I found and used on iOverlander I packed out a whole bag and burned almost another bag worth of cardboard and paper

Aequitas1916

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate I

Florida, USA
First Name
Jon
Last Name
Weet
Member #

Service Branch
U.S. Navy
I use a combination of iOverlander and freecampsites dot net. Freecampsites seems to have a lot more sites, but you have to read the reviews carefully. Many seem to be registered by boondockers who operate pretty loosely, and will register a site which may or may not be legal, but they just didn't get hassled when they stayed there. I've found a lot of great campsites through there, but I usually stick to reviewed ones where several people camped without problems or were able to confirm it was a legal site. So far, I haven't been awoken by LEOs telling me to move on.