Leviathan Mines Road to the Carson River/Hot Springs 6/24-25

• HTML tutorial

Jelorian

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

SF Bay Area, CA
Member #

Coming from the SF Bay Area, we had a convoy of 4 vehicles. 2 Suburbans, a Tacoma, and a 4 Runner. We met up with another guy in is FJ Cruiser in Gardnerville. Later in the day another buddy showed up in his Rubicon. 2 other buddies in their Suburbans had gone a day ahead.

Because Corral Hollow still had a lot of snow and downed trees we went to plan b and decided to hook up with some friends who headed out a day ahead of us. Their destination was the hot springs at the end of the Barney Riley Trail. There are 2 ways to get to the hot springs by 4x4. 1 is the Barney Riley Trail itself which is off Hwy 89 near Markleeville. The other way is to go to the Nevada side and take Leviathan Mines Road off Hwy 395.

This route takes you to the opposite side of the river from the hot springs and unfortunately the spring runoff is way too strong to wade across.

It didn't look like anyone came down the trail from the CA side so I don't know the conditions of the real Barney Riley Trail, but the rafters who came down and camped there had the place to themselves.

Any high clearance vehicle can make this road as of the writing of this post. I was in 2WD the whole trip. There are some sections that you just have to pick a good line and take things very slow but for the most part it is a moderate trail. I think I hit my Hitchgate Tire carrier once and that's about it. There are a few very shallow stream crossings as well. Of course you come out with some new pin striping but that comes with the territory. DISCLAIMER: Trails can and will change. What may be passable for a stock high clearance vehicle today might be different the next.

We still had a great time and will try to go back when the water levels drop.

Here are some pics.

The views and scenery to not dissappoint

Very cool to have 4 Suburbans out there. You can see the man made tub for the hot springs across the river.

A view of the campsite. The rafters on the other side of the river had the hot springs to themselves. All we could do is watch from across the other side.

Beautiful meadows all over.

On the way back we had to take a shot of Caples Lake near Kirkwood. Still a lot of snow in the mountains.

Back home in time for the Pacifica sunset!

Last edited:
Reactions: boss324

boss324

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer I

Tracy California
First Name
Brian
Last Name
Castro
Member #

My son and I had a blast this trail was a little more technical than we anticipated... Very happy we were able to go through these very rough sections unscathed. 33" a 2.5" lift and good shocks can get you alot of places and the right gear will make your ride compliant. Was impressed with this platforms capability. I would rate this trail hard-moderate due to the rock garden. High clearance and sliders are your friend. You can make it stock but you will have to be ok scraping your undercarriage every now and again. I was fortunate only had two mishaps both my fault caught too much speed and came down on a boulder on my running board and misjudge a large boulder that touched my skid plate. It was good meeting up with you all! Definitely plan another one soon!

Also Jelorian thanks for leading the way and having a plan B!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk

Last edited:

boss324

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer I

Tracy California
First Name
Brian
Last Name
Castro
Member #

For sure Jelorian! Some vids of our excursion...

Heading home from camp:

Back through the Rock garden:

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Reactions: JCWages