Laurel Lakes, CA

• HTML tutorial

Wits' End

Rank 0

Contributor I

Went to Rock Creek, Mammoth Mountain and finally Laurel Lakes this past weekend and man what a trip!

I was originally supposed to meet up with my local 4WD club (SCOTA4X4) but I had to leave a day earlier then everyone else so basically it was a solo truck trip.

Got in really late so decided to stay at Rock Creek's East Fork Campground. Pretty packed but got to enjoy the views in the morning. Packed up and went in to Mammoth to our usual breakfast spot then headed over to the Earthquake Fault that I never get to see because I'm always there in winter. Checked out the "ice cave" so I was happy. 20 min side trip checked off the list.

Left there around noon and went up one road from the 203 and started up Laurel Lakes Road after dropping tire pressure to 18psi.

The road into Laurel is by far one of the most amazing five miles of trail I've ever had the good fortune to be on. Nearly all shelf road, TIGHT switchbacks and all splintered shale rock which just loves to act like ball bearings when you start to slide. Don't slide here. Sliding = death.

When we got in there was a few RZRs and an Iron Pig packing up to leave. In essence we had the ENTIRE upper and lower lake to ourselves (my brother and son were with me).

Could not have asked for a better weekend. Left Saturday at noon and that's when all the trucks started pouring in. I picked a good time to go [emoji6]

Rock Creek
ImageUploadedByOverland Bound Talk1471316566.819188.jpg
ImageUploadedByOverland Bound Talk1471316593.100215.jpg

Earthquake Fault in Mammoth
ImageUploadedByOverland Bound Talk1471316805.285171.jpg
ImageUploadedByOverland Bound Talk1471316836.387150.jpg