Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Gahanna, OH
First Name
Walt
Last Name
Middleton
Member #

Good morning everyone. I thought I’d put up a simple explanation for how to install a kill switch for you vehicle. My experience is with a Jeep. However, the same theory should work for any vehicle.
So… lets start with the basics. There are a few different ways to go about creating a kill switch for you vehicle.
1, you can make a battery kill switch.
This would of course disconnect your battery when you put the switch into the off position. And correspondingly, with no power to anything, well. The vehicle will not be able to start.
2. Create a Kill switch front one that is already in the vehicle.
Some vehicles have kill switches on everything from the clutch (in manuals),brake pedals (newer vehicles with push to start), to the hood latches. So, depending on your vehicle. You may be able to use one of those.
3. Put a switch inline with the starter solenoid.
So when you turn the key, unless the switch is in the on position, no power would get to the starter solenoid…
4. Put a switch inline with the relay for the starter solenoid…
Same idea as the above, except you are putting a switch inline with the power going to the relay that feeds the solenoid.
5. Put a switch inline with the power going directly to the starter motor.
I would hope fairly self explanatory.
6. Put a kill switch on the power for the Fuel pump.
This one works well with Manual vehicles and can serve as secondary kill switch for any vehicle.
7. Finally; a simple one and the one I recommend for automatics. Putting a switch inline with the ignition switch.
This will involve finding the correct wire behind where you put your key into.

So, lets talk about #7. Since this is the easiest one in my opinion. It is good for automatics; however, it is not foolproof for manual vehicles. I.E. you can still “Pop Start” a manual and entirely bypass the ignition system. If you are working with a manual, you can either or also install a switch for the fuel pump.
First thing you will need to figure out is which wire is the actual ignition wire. For a 2009 Jeep Wrangler, it is the Pink and White wire. Simply cut the wire and install a switch. You will find this wire coming out of the back of the little module that you insert your key into in the steering column. Pretty simple.
If you have a remote start of your vehicle… If you install a momentary switch you will have just disabled your remote start…. So… in that case I would recommend you install a two-position switch. That way you can, when you want to, disable the vehicle or leave it enabled. Thus, allowing you to remotely start it when you want to.

Now you need to find a good place to hide your switch. Preferable somewhere that is not noticeable and yet easy to reach when sitting in the driver seat.
Good luck and don't share with anyone where you have hidden your switch or for that mater which method/methods you have used.

Last edited:
Reactions: littledetails

old_man

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Loveland, Colorado
First Name
Tom
Last Name
Houston
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WØNUT Extra
Remember, disconnecting the battery will not necessarily kill the engine. If the alternator is working, you will keep running. I have a hidden disconnect on my fuel pump. It will start, run for a few seconds then die. The question is really, why do you want a kill switch? (1) to kill the engine and all the electronics incase of emergency (kill engine and cut fuel) or (2) to prevent theft?

Remember, disconnecting the battery will reset the ECU and you will have to go through a learn cycle all over each time you use it.

Desert Runner

Rank VII
Launch Member

Expedition Master III

Southern Nevada
First Name
Jerold
Last Name
F.
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
/GMRS=WREA307
Remember, disconnecting the battery will not necessarily kill the engine. If the alternator is working, you will keep running. I have a hidden disconnect on my fuel pump. It will start, run for a few seconds then die. The question is really, why do you want a kill switch? (1) to kill the engine and all the electronics incase of emergency (kill engine and cut fuel) or (2) to prevent theft?

Remember, disconnecting the battery will reset the ECU and you will have to go through a learn cycle all over each time you use it.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The OP (#1) and post number 2, are excellent ideas in High crime areas or those vehicles that have older style (external) hood latch releases. My father did these on a 1965 Ford Mustang. It seemed to work, and as stated above only those who had a need to know...........KNEW!
When I first read the OP, my first thought was.....the early MAD MAX movies where he had his car rigged for just such a contingency. OBLogo-Gold_Outlined_100x.pngGood post on vehicle security. Most cars do not have a ONSTAR or LO-JACK capability. And you have to go aftermarket if wanted or keep a subscription active like those I mentioned.

Instagram....desertrunner-lv

Boostpowered

Rank VI

Member III

Hunt county, TX, USA
First Name
Justin
Last Name
Davis
Member #

Atl east when your going down a bumpy road or a trail and everything shuts off you will know exactly why. Well hopefully it will have just been the kill switch being bumped off.

w_m_photo

Rank V
Founder 500
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Gahanna, OH
First Name
Walt
Last Name
Middleton
Member #

Just an addition... The Kill switch that I added to my rig doesn't matter once the vehicle is started. Once the vehicle is started the switch can be in the off or on position. If you leave it in the on position, there is no down side. Just remember to turn it to the off position when you leave your vehicle... Or leave it in the on position if you want to still have the ability to remote start your vehicle.

Reactions: littledetails