Kenwood VX-71 install in a 2nd gen Tacoma

• HTML tutorial

slomatt

Rank V

Influencer I

Bay Area, CA
Here are some details on my ham radio install in case anybody finds them useful. I'm a member of our local CERT group and also part of a local emergency communications group that works closely with the fire department. I went with the VX-71 because several members of the group have this radio and the fire department also has a couple in active use. I like the simplicity and small form factor of the faceplate. I specifically wanted a radio with true dual receivers so that I could monitor one frequency while being active on another.

Radio
  • Programmed with our emergency communications code plug installed, and I've added a few extra channels for things like the OB 2m frequency.
  • The faceplate is installed under the front console near the cup holders.
  • The body is installed under the front drivers seat along with my CB.
  • I made my own kit to remote mount the faceplate using a 3d printed mount and a pair of Cat6 extension cables.
  • Power is provided via the sPOD so that the radio can be left on if the key is out of the ignition.
Antenna
  • Tram 140MHz-170MHz + 430MHz-470MHz Dual Band NMO Antenna
  • Mounted on a hood hinge bracket using a Laird NMO mount.
  • This is not an ideal mounting location since the cab of the truck affects the radiation pattern and it is arguably too close to the driver. That said, I didn't want to put the antenna on the roof where it would get hit by branches and kayaks, and I very rarely run over 5w so the proximity isn't a safety concern.
Speaker
  • RoadPro RPSP-15
  • The internal speaker was hard to hear under the seat so I installed an external speaker in the "change cubby" under the steering wheel.
Pictures can be found at Blank Photos :: Communications. I'll include a few here as well.

3D printed mount, custom bracket, and the end of the mic extension cable.

Faceplate mounted under the dash. If there's a tall drink in the cupholder it blocks the view a little, but the radio is still fully usable.

Antenna on the hood hinge bracket.

NMO mount. I was worried about getting a good ground connection through the hinge, but I measure very low resistance from here to the battery's ground terminal.

Radio installed under the seat. All accessory power in my truck uses Powerpole connectors to make it easy to move things around.

External speaker in the change cubby, it's a tight fit. Held in place using double sided tape.

The entire setup.

RoarinRow

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Elk Grove, CA, USA
First Name
Rolando
Last Name
Nispiros
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6JJS
Nice install! On my truck I have the v-71 installed on top of the dash (with faceplate attached). On my daily driver I have the same v-71 hooked up like yours with faceplate only and main unit in my trunk (no space under seat).

Reactions: slomatt