Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Durango, CO
First Name
Corbet
Last Name
Hoover
Member #

I recently picked up a new water filter for both overland and backpacking. I choose the Katadyn Base Camp Pro 10 liter model. https://www.katadyn.com/us/us/368-8019201-katadyn-base-camp-pro-10l_usa

Sourced from my preferred local dealer www.bcexp.com

I got to use it for the first time this weekend while backpacking and I'm extremely satisfied. Filtration is plenty fast and well effortless. Simply fill the bag, hang, and let it flow. One bag was plenty of water for the night and morning meal prep as well as filling bottles for the days hike.

I look forward to the next extended overland trip where I can use it to refill the 5 gallon water can I carry for hydration duties. Hanging the filter system off the roof rack should make it simple. And two bags through the filter will fill the can.

I should note there is a shower conversion kit available as well that I need to pick up.

P1110394.jpgP1110399.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: Wawa Skittletits

Wawa Skittletits

Local Expert East Region USA
Staff member
Launch Member

Expedition Master I

Wilkes-Barre, PA, USA
First Name
Drew
Last Name
Hawley
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRBZ674
Service Branch
USN veteran
I'm very interested in hearing how it holds up for you after a few more uses. A good (bad) percentage of Amazon users gave it poor reviews. I was looking into into the 5L Lifestraw but like this as an option as well.

Corbet

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Durango, CO
First Name
Corbet
Last Name
Hoover
Member #

I imagine performance will deteriate with time as gravity can only push water trough the filter so hard compared to a physical pump. A new element of course should bring it back to new.

This reminds me I need to pull it from my gear and disassemble it to dry before storing it until next time. Probably something many users skip.

I just cracked it open and about 1.5 oz of trapped water poured from the element. That can't be good for storage. Simple to do after a trip. I'll let the whole assemble dry overnight before storing until next time.

Last edited:

Wawa Skittletits

Local Expert East Region USA
Staff member
Launch Member

Expedition Master I

Wilkes-Barre, PA, USA
First Name
Drew
Last Name
Hawley
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRBZ674
Service Branch
USN veteran
Agreed on the gravity fed part. I guess the common complaint was how quickly the filter stopped flowing even when great care was taken to add only clear water. By quickly they meant during the first outing with it. As I said I'm interested in hearing your experiences with it.

Corbet

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Durango, CO
First Name
Corbet
Last Name
Hoover
Member #

Not sure when I'll use it again. My next overland trip is planned for early October. I'll make sure to update the thread with use.

Winterpeg

CDN Prairie Ambassador
Staff member
Launch Member

Influencer II

Winnipeg, MB
Member #

Katadyn seems to be a good product. I've got the Katadyn Vario and have used it for a couple years now.

When we're camping we don't take much water and use this to fill up our 20L jug. It takes about 20 minutes of pumping. My wife was on water duty this past trip and afterwards she was more appreciative of when I did it because of all the pumping, lol.

Katadyn vario.jpg

Corbet

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Durango, CO
First Name
Corbet
Last Name
Hoover
Member #

The pumping is what I want to eliminate. I've got a couple old pump (Pure & MSR) style filers now. I'm hoping the gravity unit will be reliable enough and I can just continue to carry iodine as my back up.

Reactions: Winterpeg

Winterpeg

CDN Prairie Ambassador
Staff member
Launch Member

Influencer II

Winnipeg, MB
Member #

Yeah, she wasn't too impressed with the pumping either, lol. And truth be told... I'm getting tired of it too considering a family of 4 can go through a 20L jug of water in a couple days when the weather is warm.

Corbet

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Durango, CO
First Name
Corbet
Last Name
Hoover
Member #

you should see how much water a 90lb Alaskan Malamute can drink on a hot day when natural sources don't present.

Reactions: Winterpeg