Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Gretna, NE, USA
First Name
Brandon
Last Name
Talley
Member #

I have been working on planning a trip out west this summer hitting some national parks as well as some off road trails and overland routes. Looking for any recommendations for camping spots, routes, must see places. Also looking for anyone that wants to join in for some of the trip. Attached is a general idea of what I have mapped out. I have a month to make the loop. I know each place is amazing and I could spend a week or two in each spot but I'm looking to hit the each area and keep moving except for a few areas.
download (2).png

Big G

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Grants Pass, OR, USA
First Name
Gary
Last Name
Cloud
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7MZB
I have been working on planning a trip out west this summer hitting some national parks as well as some off road trails and overland routes. Looking for any recommendations for camping spots, routes, must see places. Also looking for anyone that wants to join in for some of the trip. Attached is a general idea of what I have mapped out. I have a month to make the loop. I know each place is amazing and I could spend a week or two in each spot but I'm looking to hit the each area and keep moving except for a few areas.
View attachment 145522
Hi Brandon looks like a great trip. Are you planning to go across the South then up to the North and back to Omaha, or the other way around? Also, when are you planning to travel? By the looks of your loop you may already be planning this but I would definitely recommend Crater Lake National Park.

Reactions: M Rose

Heartland Overland

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Gretna, NE, USA
First Name
Brandon
Last Name
Talley
Member #

Hi Brandon looks like a great trip. Are you planning to go across the South then up to the North and back to Omaha, or the other way around? Also, when are you planning to travel? By the looks of your loop you may already be planning this but I would definitely recommend Crater Lake National Park.
I originally planned from North to South, but have since reevaluated everything and I think South to North will be better. After leaving Grand Tetons I will head back to Colorado to Telluride area to meet up with a friend and also hoping most of the trails will be open by then. Crate Lake is on the list for sure.

Reactions: M Rose

Ubiety

Rank VI

Explorer I

Sammamish, WA, USA
First Name
Greg
Last Name
Ubiety
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
Ribs
I originally planned from North to South, but have since reevaluated everything and I think South to North will be better. After leaving Grand Tetons I will head back to Colorado to Telluride area to meet up with a friend and also hoping most of the trails will be open by then. Crate Lake is on the list for sure.
Looks epic! I can maybe help out with ideas around MT, ID, WA, OR, NV. Suggest avoiding Portland (city, crowds, I-5). If you take the 97 S from Ellensburg WA you will see some awesome territory, skip I-5 and end up in Bend OR which which looks like your destination after Portland. Bend is one of my favorite places.

Heartland Overland

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Gretna, NE, USA
First Name
Brandon
Last Name
Talley
Member #

Looks epic! I can maybe help out with ideas around MT, ID, WA, OR, NV. Suggest avoiding Portland (city, crowds, I-5). If you take the 97 S from Ellensburg WA you will see some awesome territory, skip I-5 and end up in Bend OR which which looks like your destination after Portland. Bend is one of my favorite places.

Thanks for the info. We will be making a stop in the Tillamook area to hit some trails for a couple days and then down to the Bend area. I am planning to avoid the big cities the best I can.

Reactions: Ubiety

M Rose

Local Expert
Mod Team

Advocate III

Northeast Oregon, United States
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Rose
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7FSB
Service Branch
US ARMY Retired
Tillamook has a great air museum and really good cheese ;)
My wife, @KRose , and I often talk about the ice cream at the Tilamook Cheese Factory as well as the Air and Space Museum... I was planning on a stop in to both of those places this year, looks like my plans might change a little though :(

Reactions: Ubiety

taliv

Rank II

Enthusiast III

Tennessee
I’m planning something similar in May June but if it slips maybe I can join for a leg or two. I prob won’t go to California

Munga Brown

US Northwest Region Member Rep Oregon
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Central OR Coast
First Name
Martin
Last Name
S.
Member #

Check with land managers first. Lots of stuff is closing now. Forests, trail heads, campgrounds, tons of stuff closing until at least September. Boo.... but it is what it is.

Heartland Overland

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Gretna, NE, USA
First Name
Brandon
Last Name
Talley
Member #

I’m planning something similar in May June but if it slips maybe I can join for a leg or two. I prob won’t go to California

Depending on how things go I may have to push things back or shorten it a lot, fingers crossed things get better and everything opens back up. I would definitely welcome some more company along part of the way.

Reactions: taliv

Heartland Overland

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Gretna, NE, USA
First Name
Brandon
Last Name
Talley
Member #

Check with land managers first. Lots of stuff is closing now. Forests, trail heads, campgrounds, tons of stuff closing until at least September. Boo.... but it is what it is.

Yeah I've been keeping an eye on things. Hoping somethings start getting better sooner rather than later.

bumbleruck

Rank II
Launch Member

Enthusiast II

Denver, CO
First Name
David
Last Name
M
Hope I'm not too late to the party (and that you can still do this!) but if you don't mind going further north in WA you should really check out the North Cascades. Dunno about trails in the area but it's arguably the most beautiful region in the state (the peninsula fights hard for that too but is pretty impractical for a trip like this). You could then work your way down to US 2 and then to I-90 to get back on track.

Heartland Overland

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Gretna, NE, USA
First Name
Brandon
Last Name
Talley
Member #

Hope I'm not too late to the party (and that you can still do this!) but if you don't mind going further north in WA you should really check out the North Cascades. Dunno about trails in the area but it's arguably the most beautiful region in the state (the peninsula fights hard for that too but is pretty impractical for a trip like this). You could then work your way down to US 2 and then to I-90 to get back on track.
I would love to venture out that way for sure. I doubt I will be able to this trip. I have been all over Washington for work over the past few years but have never managed the time to get out into the Northern Cascades. Depending on what happens in the next few months the trip may have to be altered quite a bit. Either way we will make the best of it.

Reactions: bumbleruck

California Overland

Rank II
Launch Member

Contributor III

Roseville, Ca.
Member #

View attachment 145522
Looks like a good route. Wondering why you've chosen to zig-zag in and out of the Sierra's as you've shown on your map?

Heartland Overland

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Gretna, NE, USA
First Name
Brandon
Last Name
Talley
Member #

Looks like a good route. Wondering why you've chosen to zig-zag in and out of the Sierra's as you've shown on your map?
Still making some changes to the route. Planned route was the fastest route according to Google Maps in and out of the National Parks. Working on mapping out some back country roads to avoid main highways through the area.

Heartland Overland

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Gretna, NE, USA
First Name
Brandon
Last Name
Talley
Member #

Depending on when and where in Central/Southern CA you go, I wouldn't mind joining you for a bit.
I'll let you know when I have some better dates planned out. Right now everything is hinging on whats happening around the country, as well as when I get back home. I am currently stuck in East Africa for work and don't have a return date as of now.

Reactions: PonoAdventures

Flying pig

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Florence, OR, USA
First Name
Jeff
Last Name
sprueill
Member #

I see what looks like a Yosemite visit. I would suggest the eastern side on 395. It is some of the most beautiful country compared to the west side. Unless you have stops off on hwy 49 on the west. Also the Oregon coast is some of the most beautiful shoreline out west. Your westbound into Salem can head to the coast and up hwy 101 with only an addition of 40-50 miles. Much better than I-5 and Portland