Launch Member

Influencer II

Bates City, MO, USA
First Name
Scott
Last Name
Heiser
Member #

I was getting the itch to go find some dirt to camp on, as I do about once a month or more.. So, I decided to take off for the weekend of 2/10/17-2/12/17, and my friend Raul who runs Xpeditionoutfitters said he had some coordinates we could go try out. I posted up on Overlandbound to see if there were any other interested parties in joining the fun, and we had a few others say they were up for a trip... Awesome! So, I loaded up the truck on Friday morning, and then loaded up the entire family, my wife and 2 kids, and we headed toward the coordinates provided. We arrived at the approximate coordinates around noon on Friday, after a quick stop for supplies. Knowing that we would have a 2 wheel drive Nissan frontier in the group, I did my best to make it an easy spot to get to for everyone. I found a spot, and and setup camp.

As I was setting up camp, the first vehicle rolled in, fellow overlandbound member "Grizzcamp" in his Nissan frontier. After quick introductions, he found himself a good spot to park and setup camp. He had a huge REI 8 man tent that looked super comfy!

Later in the afternoon, a friend of "Grizzcamp joined us in his nice new Nissan NV van. Lots of space in that thing!

The three of us finished setting up our respective camp sites, and the wind started to come up. Luckily we had thought ahead to park our vehicles in somewhat of a circle to attempt to block the wind. It helped, but the wind was still howling. Gusts probably got up to 20 miles per hour or so. We had a coleman ground tent up that we were using as our privacy shelter for a bathroom, and I noticed something did not look right with it. Upon further investigation, I noticed a broken tent pole. I am still not sure how this could have happened, but I know I am going to contact Coleman and see about getting a replacement. The broken tent pole also stabbed through the rainfly and ripped it. Not the best way to start a trip. Luckily the tent was still semi functional, so we could continue to use it as a restroom.

Not being one to let a little setback like this ruin my trip, I just chalked it up to part of life, and continued to enjoy the camp spot. As you can see in the above photo, there is a 4 Runner that had joined us late on Friday night, another Overlandbound member, "Jimbohotwings". By Saturday morning, Raul from Xpeditionoutfitters had also joined us, and we had everyone that was scheduled to arrive.

We sat around camp and admired each other's camp setups and gear purchases. I have a new found obsession with Coleman Japan products thanks to Grizzcamp and his camp setup. The kids that were on the trip all played together and had fun collecting ants and stinkbugs, while some of the adults were relaxing.

Photo Credit : "Grizzcamp" on overland bound
As the sun went down, it gave me the perfect opportunity for some photos of the skyline.

Saturday evening, we got quite a bit of rain, but our CVT Mount Denali roof top tent kept us nice and dry.

The family blast on this trip, even though we had some gear failures with the tent, it was still a great time. Thank you to everyone who was able to make it out to make this a fun time.

Photo Credit: "Grizzcamp" on Overland Bound