Covington, Virginia, USA
First Name
Terry
Last Name
R
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KT4OZ
Never did much camping, but I grew up down around Wytheville. What areas in particular are you looking at?

ShoKilla

Rank I
Launch Member

Contributor II

McKenney, Va
Member #

I'm eyeballing the Mt Rogers area. Have some work to do around Grayson on Friday so I thought I'd finish up the weekend.

TerryD

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Covington, Virginia, USA
First Name
Terry
Last Name
R
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KT4OZ
I grew up in Elk Creek right there in the edge of Grayson. There are some nice trails on 21 between Elk Creek and Speedwell along with some campsites along the CC Camp road. If you go across the forest service road at the top of the mountain, there are some nice camp sites up that way as well as a small man made lake and some trails to hike.

TerryD

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Covington, Virginia, USA
First Name
Terry
Last Name
R
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KT4OZ
The lake is supposedly named for my Mom's great uncle. I'm not sure the validity of that story, but a Hale is a Hale and they're the only group in the valley! The trails I mentioned there are hiking trails. I should have clarified that some I'm sorry. Which way are you going to be going in from and where are you headed. With some more info, I could maybe give you some more ideas of stuff to do and roads to travel!

ShoKilla

Rank I
Launch Member

Contributor II

McKenney, Va
Member #

That's pretty cool about the lake. I am from the Richmond area so the idea is just hang around in the forest for camping Friday and Saturday night. No real destination other than to come back home on Sunday.

TerryD

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Covington, Virginia, USA
First Name
Terry
Last Name
R
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KT4OZ
Well, where in Grayson will you be Friday? That'll give me am idea of the best route for the best views and maybe I can think of another campground to visit as well? There are tons of great back roads and neat places to check out in that area. When I got my driver's license, my friends and I roamed all over the county in our free time.