Hobart, Tasmania, Australia
First Name
Randall
Last Name
Treloyn
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
VK7VWK
Has anybody got any experience when it comes to the water-fording abilities of Jeeps?
The specific vehicle I am curious about is a JT Gladiator, but a JL Wrangler with the Pentastar engine would be similar. I would likely fit a snorkel and breathers to give some protection anyway.

This is a gasoline vehicle. The weak point of my previous gasoline vehicles was water in the ignition system. My last 3 vehicles were diesel, so the engines could, in theory, be completely submerged (especially the minimal electrics Nissan).

bgenlvtex

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Texas and Alaska
First Name
Bruce
Last Name
Evans
Member #

Jeep says I believe 29" and that is to electronics in stock ride height.

29" is a lot of water, probably more than you should be fording if you can avoid it and definitely too much if it is running swiftly

Reactions: rtexpeditions

leeloo

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

Luxembourg
First Name
Mihai
Last Name
Doros
Member #

There are always consequences even if you don't go over the specified depth. It should a last resort thing. The snorkel will keep your engine running, but that is about it. Water will wash off lubricants, deposit silt on the cooling fins of radiators, accelerate corosion processes on electrical connections and so on. So you will be fine with snorel and diff breathers, , but the accumulated wear and tear will be significant in time. It might not matter for you if you don't keep the vehicle for long.

OTH Overland

Local Expert Washington, USA
Investor

Trail Blazer III

Camano Island, WA, USA
First Name
Dave
Last Name
Ballard
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
N7XQP
Service Branch
Fire/EMS/SAR
There are always inherent risks with water crossings, Jeeps are capable of crossing some deep water, and have a good fording depth from the factory. I recommend being conservatives in the depth of water you choose to cross, especially if you do not choose to walk it first, hidden holes can quickly put you much deeper than you expect. Keep in mind that the airbox has a small drain hole in the bottom to let out any moisture that gets in, so even with a properly fitted snorkel they are not 100% water tight and where the water can get in is a lot lower than the air box inlet. For the typical water crossing you are not spending much time actually in the water and the vehicle is creating a bow wave of sorts so very little if any water finds its way in. The issue occurs when you somehow find a deep spot and or you get stuck or the rig stalls, then you are just sitting still and water will slowly fill up your airbox. Some will put a piece of gorilla tape over the hole when they know they will be in water. Jeep does keep much of the electronics fairly high unless the owner has added communication or battery management equipment under the seats etc. Jeep doors do not seal very well and extended time will let water leak into the cabin (at least Jeep was kind enough to provide drain plugs to let it back out..lol) . As Bruce mentioned above it does not take much swift moving water to move a vehicle off course and down stream.

smritte

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Ontario California
First Name
Scott
Last Name
SMR
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KO6BI
Jeep does keep much of the electronics fairly high unless the owner has added communication or battery management equipment under the seats etc. Jeep doors do not seal very well and extended time will let water leak into the cabin
This is what I would worry about more then anything. My main profession for decades has been body electrical for three manufactures. Virtually no manufacture waterproofs anything inside a vehicle. "if" the computers in a vehicle get wet, the only reason the insurance company even shows up, is to verify the vin number before they total it. The Katrina fiasco showed everyone that.
The issue isn't as much computer as it is connector. Moisture gets in and over time builds up corrosion. This causes power to bleed across terminals. Its not enough to blow fuses, it mostly causes chaos with computers.
I've seen this happen a number of times and have had to inform customers the vehicle they just bought was submerged.
You stall a vehicle in deep water, crawl out the window and try to get it out before too much fills up inside.

rtexpeditions

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

First Name
Randall
Last Name
Treloyn
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
VK7VWK
There are always inherent risks with water crossings, Jeeps are capable of crossing some deep water, and have a good fording depth from the factory. I recommend being conservatives in the depth of water you choose to cross, especially if you do not choose to walk it first, hidden holes can quickly put you much deeper than you expect. Keep in mind that the airbox has a small drain hole in the bottom to let out any moisture that gets in, so even with a properly fitted snorkel they are not 100% water tight and where the water can get in is a lot lower than the air box inlet. For the typical water crossing you are not spending much time actually in the water and the vehicle is creating a bow wave of sorts so very little if any water finds its way in. The issue occurs when you somehow find a deep spot and or you get stuck or the rig stalls, then you are just sitting still and water will slowly fill up your airbox. Some will put a piece of gorilla tape over the hole when they know they will be in water. Jeep does keep much of the electronics fairly high unless the owner has added communication or battery management equipment under the seats etc. Jeep doors do not seal very well and extended time will let water leak into the cabin (at least Jeep was kind enough to provide drain plugs to let it back out..lol) . As Bruce mentioned above it does not take much swift moving water to move a vehicle off course and down stream.
I'm amazed that the drain hole doesn't have a one-way valve.

I'm not planning on intentionally drowning the vehicle, but snorkels are a bit of insurance that I usually fit and they help keep the dust out of the air filter as well.
I'd still rather replace an electronic module than a hydro-locked engine as well.

Gasoline overlanding vehicles are less common in Australia in recent years, so not so much experience here
I'm more concerned about the spark plug leads shorting out which in turn stops the vehicle sitting in the water (like my old FJ40 used to), the consequences of which you have described. I've heard Jeeps used to be fairly waterproof in this regard, but I was wondering how much so.

Reactions: OTH Overland

Kent R

Executive Director
Staff member
Mod Team

Pathfinder III

El Dorado, Ca
First Name
Kent
Last Name
Reynolds
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K6KNT
Service Branch
Retired Firefighter
I have taken my old JK's and now Gladiator through 36" +- with 4" lift and 35" tires. No issue as long as I kept the bow wake up.

OTH Overland

Local Expert Washington, USA
Investor

Trail Blazer III

Camano Island, WA, USA
First Name
Dave
Last Name
Ballard
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
N7XQP
Service Branch
Fire/EMS/SAR
I'm amazed that the drain hole doesn't have a one-way valve.

I'm not planning on intentionally drowning the vehicle, but snorkels are a bit of insurance that I usually fit and they help keep the dust out of the air filter as well.
I'd still rather replace an electronic module than a hydro-locked engine as well.

Gasoline overlanding vehicles are less common in Australia in recent years, so not so much experience here
I'm more concerned about the spark plug leads shorting out which in turn stops the vehicle sitting in the water (like my old FJ40 used to), the consequences of which you have described. I've heard Jeeps used to be fairly waterproof in this regard, but I was wondering how much so.
The gasoline Jeeps have the 3.6 V6 that has individual coil packs that sit directly on the spark plugs with tight fitting rubber boots, I have never had any issue with water intrusion or misfires. pretty much all the connectors are 'weather sealed' under the hood. I have had most of them apart and put a bit of dielectric grease on the seals and contacts, so far never had an issue and we live in a wet climate with lots of water on the trails.

My JK and WJ both have small holes about 3/16" (4mm) in diameter with no type of one way valve. Never had a issue with water getting in thru the holes, but also have never been stalled out in deep water. If you did fill up the air box with any amount of water it would take quite a while to drain back out thru the hole (have had the experience of a large amount of oil getting sucked into the box from the crankcase vent system and that had no problem draining out and making a huge mess of the undercarriage, but that is another story and different thread lol.

rtexpeditions

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

First Name
Randall
Last Name
Treloyn
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
VK7VWK
The gasoline Jeeps have the 3.6 V6 that has individual coil packs that sit directly on the spark plugs with tight fitting rubber boots, I have never had any issue with water intrusion or misfires. pretty much all the connectors are 'weather sealed' under the hood. I have had most of them apart and put a bit of dielectric grease on the seals and contacts, so far never had an issue and we live in a wet climate with lots of water on the trails.

My JK and WJ both have small holes about 3/16" (4mm) in diameter with no type of one way valve. Never had a issue with water getting in thru the holes, but also have never been stalled out in deep water. If you did fill up the air box with any amount of water it would take quite a while to drain back out thru the hole (have had the experience of a large amount of oil getting sucked into the box from the crankcase vent system and that had no problem draining out and making a huge mess of the undercarriage, but that is another story and different thread lol.
Thankyou for the information Dave, that is what I was after.
The search for my next vehicle is just starting, but I've always liked the size and ability of the Jeeps.

Reactions: OTH Overland

Speric

Rank VI
Launch Member

Advocate III

Santa Rosa, CA, USA
First Name
Eric
Last Name
Speric
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6SCT
Has anybody got any experience when it comes to the water-fording abilities of Jeeps?
The specific vehicle I am curious about is a JT Gladiator, but a JL Wrangler with the Pentastar engine would be similar. I would likely fit a snorkel and breathers to give some protection anyway.

This is a gasoline vehicle. The weak point of my previous gasoline vehicles was water in the ignition system. My last 3 vehicles were diesel, so the engines could, in theory, be completely submerged (especially the minimal electrics Nissan).
Here’s mine crossing a creek. The rear bumper where it tops out at is 29”. It still running fine.

Attachments