Chittenango, NY
First Name
Jordan
Last Name
Moore
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KD2NFZ
I have a real soft spot for that era of troopers. I could definitely see following up my XJ with one of those, if only they could be found around here. I find it interesting that at the time, their body styling seemed a little unusual, but over time it has really turned out to be a fairly classic look. The front end is so simple and clean. Thanks for putting up the pic!

jordan04gx

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Chittenango, NY
First Name
Jordan
Last Name
Moore
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KD2NFZ
Oh, and don't ever mention what I said around my Jeep. Last time it heard me talking like that it got jealous and peed differential oil via the axle housing all over my garage floor while I was sleeping.

jrtester

Rank II
Founder 500
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

Oh, and don't ever mention what I said around my Jeep. Last time it heard me talking like that it got jealous and peed differential oil via the axle housing all over my garage floor while I was sleeping.
I'll keep it between us! Lol
Thanks, I've had 8 over the years. From stock to rock crawler. This is my last one, as I've found my off road purpose on over landing. Thanks for posting!

James MOZES Tester 1990 Isuzu Trooper

jrtester

Rank II
Founder 500
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

Ok, a little more detail.
1990 Isuzu trooper
3.4l camaro engine swap. It was a yard motor the previous owner had swapped in that died at 14k. Truck cost me 650.
Had the rims from a previous project that I traded, 0 cost.
Sold 31s on trooper for 300. Bought used 285/75/16 rollers and had them mounted for 100.
Found a guy parting put a 95 camaro, got complete front end, engine and trans for 150.
Sold camaro trans for 150.
Found engine stand for 40.
So far I'm doing pretty good! Next step is to determine what's "wrong" with 3.4 in the trooper. Then I'll have one of the long blocks to a shop for rebuilding.
Btw, I've name him Winston Churchill. He's not British, but he is old, square, and if call him a survivor.
Plan is:
Z34 pistols
Comp cams 252 cam set and roller rockers
Open up exhaust to 2.5".
Already has 4.3l tbi with matched intake.
This should give me over 200hp at crank.
Stock 2.8l that came in trooper was 120hp at crank.
Already has 4.56 axle gearing stock.
I have a Tera low transfer case gears that will be going in.
3 inches of suspension lift. 1 inch body lift.
Bumpers, roof rack, and rock sliders built by me and friends.
Have a 3rd row for the grandkids that is rearward facing. I'm designing a system that will allow me to switch between the 3rd row seat, overland box, or nothing in the back. Something that is safe and not require 4 hrs to switch out.
Communication systems. CB, HAM.

A couple of pics of my kind of scenery. Did a quick 5 mile loop in the ford edge.20180210_204210.jpg20180208_145144.jpg20180208_144059.jpg

Reactions: jordan04gx

Kent R

Executive Director
Staff member
Mod Team

Pathfinder III

El Dorado, Ca
First Name
Kent
Last Name
Reynolds
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K6KNT
Service Branch
Retired Firefighter
They are fun vehicles, my father traveled all over the US with his. It had a four cylinder diesel in it and never quit. One of the best memories I have is him sitting in the vehicle in Death Valley with four blown tires.

Reactions: jrtester

jrtester

Rank II
Founder 500
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

They are fun vehicles, my father traveled all over the US with his. It had a four cylinder diesel in it and never quit. One of the best memories I have is him sitting in the vehicle in Death Valley with four blown tires.
Thanks, they sure are. Goal now is to build one that will last the ages and have parts that are replaceable.

Classic City Overland

Rank III
Launch Member

Influencer II

Athens, GA
First Name
Eric
Last Name
Gagnon
Member #

Should be a great rig, I remember reading all your old posts on the planet, when I had acouple first gens. If you need any pointers on the Tera lows/revo install let me know. Me and my pal Lorenzo installed the set in my Amigo, it was a learning experience for both of us. If you need any suspension parts for your Trooper let me know, I'm a Dobinsons dealer and can get HD Tbars and Rear springs and such.