Elk Grove, CA, USA
First Name
Rolando
Last Name
Nispiros
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6JJS
I haven't read every post here, but yes there are some 'overland' gear that is very expensive. The gear that I see that are expensive seem to be gear that is built in small quantities, hand made, unique design, and/or something hardly no one is making. So those companies have to charge more to make up for their unique requirements. I normally check my own gear if I could make up something similar, go to Amazon.com, or I bite the bullet and buy it.

There are some 'overland' gear, which I think have been useful to me in non-overlanding events, e.g. using my portable fridge for family road trips in my other rig, my Jackery for power outages at home, and my Jet Boil because my other camping stoves, while they still work great, take a lot of room in my camping containers or don't fit at all.

TX95ZJ

Rank I

Enthusiast I

Dallas-Fort Worth Metropolitan Area, TX, USA
First Name
Brent
Last Name
RRR
To answer the OP's original question, I believe the answer is no. For people who WANT to do something, they'll find a way. For those that don't, they'll find an excuse. If a grown man says to me, "overlanding is not for me because it is too expensive", I interpret that as, "I'm just not that interested in overlanding", or "I've got other priorities and interests that are more important to me right now". Overlanding is about getting AWAY from life's pressures, getting out into nature, and having an adventure with family and/or friends.

Everyone approaches this hobby from their own perspectives, life stages, financial situations, and interests. In my particular case, I use my rig (1995 Jeep ZJ) for general camping (with two young kids), weekend-landing, off-roading, and hunting (in Colorado). The first time I took my son camping (he was almost 3 at the time), we folded the seats down and slept in the back. In the 5+ years since, I've added a RTT, awning, rear bumper with tire carrier, storage racks, etc., all in an effort to add efficiency to packing/unpacking and setup/takedown. If you've camped with young kids, you know that anything that reduces time/effort in the field is worth its weight in gold! These have been deliberate, experience-driven decisions as funds have allowed.

I watch a lot of the YouTube influencers to get ideas and to live vicariously through them at times, but I never once felt pressured to buy something in order to fit in. When you truly get away, there are no Joneses to keep up with!

Just my 2 cents.
-Brent

20190505_073233.jpg
20231115_140211.jpg

SLO Rob

Rank VI
Staff member
Founder 500
Investor

Pathfinder III

San Luis Obispo, CA
First Name
Rob
Last Name
Petterson
Member #

To answer the OP's original question, I believe the answer is no. For people who WANT to do something, they'll find a way. For those that don't, they'll find an excuse. If a grown man says to me, "overlanding is not for me because it is too expensive", I interpret that as, "I'm just not that interested in overlanding", or "I've got other priorities and interests that are more important to me right now". Overlanding is about getting AWAY from life's pressures, getting out into nature, and having an adventure with family and/or friends.

Everyone approaches this hobby from their own perspectives, life stages, financial situations, and interests. In my particular case, I use my rig (1995 Jeep ZJ) for general camping (with two young kids), weekend-landing, off-roading, and hunting (in Colorado). The first time I took my son camping (he was almost 3 at the time), we folded the seats down and slept in the back. In the 5+ years since, I've added a RTT, awning, rear bumper with tire carrier, storage racks, etc., all in an effort to add efficiency to packing/unpacking and setup/takedown. If you've camped with young kids, you know that anything that reduces time/effort in the field is worth its weight in gold! These have been deliberate, experience-driven decisions as funds have allowed.

I watch a lot of the YouTube influencers to get ideas and to live vicariously through them at times, but I never once felt pressured to buy something in order to fit in. When you truly get away, there are no Joneses to keep up with!

Just my 2 cents.
-Brent

View attachment 270132
View attachment 270131
Great two cents that probably sums up most of us. …and wow, what a cool ‘95! That’s such a great setup you’ve built.

Reactions: TK-421 and TX95ZJ

Sea Diamond

Rank III

Enthusiast III

First Name
Sea
Last Name
Diamond
Wow...this post has definitely hit a nerve and keeps on giving. Has been some excellent emotional testimonials here which has been a pleasure to read. Gotta love the passion...that's why chillin' in the woods will never die.

Just my under valued two sense worth ;-)

Reactions: TX95ZJ