Is Single Side Band (SSB) useful in overlanding?

• HTML tutorial

Kato Baggins

Rank II
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

Bend, OR, USA
First Name
Dave
Last Name
Robertson
Member #

I'm getting ready to purchase a CB to install in my rig. I'm wondering if SSB is worth the extra money for a radio that is SSB capable. Does anyone use it while they are out and about?

I imagine the standard 40 channels is the norm. Just wondering if anyone has found SSB useful in overlanding situations. I'll be picking up a handheld HAM as well to cover other situations.

Last edited:

TerryD

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Covington, Virginia, USA
First Name
Terry
Last Name
R
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KT4OZ
SSB on CB frequencies is probably not of any use. Just your standard $40 Cobra should do everything you need.

Remember that you have to be licensed to transmit on the Ham bands. If you are liscened, be sure to check in on the call sign thread!

Prerunner1982

Local Expert, Oklahoma USA
Launch Member

Member III

Navina, Oklahoma
First Name
Jon
Last Name
B
Member #

If you are trying to talk to other offroaders/overlanders I woulds say that you might find one using SSB but it's not as likely. Most offroaders run a simple AM CB.
However since SSB allows a few more watts and is a bit more efficient you might be able to make contact with somebody (non-overlander) on Channel 38LSB, if propagation allows.

If space is not an issue run a mobile ham and SSB CB, just another tool to have at your disposal.
If space is a concern I would go with ham every time.

If you are interested in longer distance contacts I would suggest studying for your General license and getting an HF or all band radio. Can work the world on 20m SSB from your vehicle.

Reactions: TerryD

Eurasian

Rank II
Launch Member

Contributor III

San Diego, CA
First Name
Tom
Last Name
Spyrou
Member #

SSB can be used to increase range due to its increased power and narrow bandwith. You can google what it sounds like. In the original star wars movie the battle scene at the end sounds liek SSB. You loose fidelity but gain power and range. Like the previous comments mentioned unless there is someone else with SSB it won't help much.

If you want to increase range the best thing to do is to have a good antenna with a good ground and make sure it is properly tuned with an SWR meter. The best antenna is a long 102" whip which is 1/4 wavelength. The shorter antenna you use, the easier it is to drive with, but you sacrifice range. Normally on the trail all that is needed is a 1/4 mile or so. A firestick or other shortened antenna will work for that. In my experience with firesticks, the 3 foot version is hard to tune across all 40 channels resulting in power loss. The 4 foot version is much better. You can see the 4 foot version on my profile pick mounted to my jeep. I have made contacts over a couple of miles with this setup without SSB on AM.

A ham license is great if you want to make longer distance contacts or use repeaters but takes some work. There are many ham-crams around that teach you and then you take the test all in 1 day. For the basic technician license this is a great way to start. I have been a ham for a long time.

GMRS radios are also a great way to go if your group agrees to use them. No license is required and the audio and range is better than CB usually since GMRS is FM not AM. Just like in your car radio FM is usually more clear.

There are a lot of choices. Maybe one day overlanders can agree on a favorite radio type and channel.

TerryD

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Covington, Virginia, USA
First Name
Terry
Last Name
R
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KT4OZ
GMRS radios are also a great way to go if your group agrees to use them. No license is required
A license is required for GMRS. Its FRS that doesn't require a license. They share some frequencies but you can't use repeaters, have more than 2w or have a removable antenna on FRS.

Reactions: Prerunner1982

Eurasian

Rank II
Launch Member

Contributor III

San Diego, CA
First Name
Tom
Last Name
Spyrou
Member #

Yes, GMRS requires a license but there is no test, just a fee of $70 for a 10 year license. It is much easier to get than a ham license which requires passing a test on basic electronics, operating procedures and some FCC regulations for the entry level technician class.

bendts

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

A Pasture in Wisconsin
First Name
Bendt
Last Name
S
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
N0WTR
If the extra $$ wont break your bank, then get one with the SSB. You may never need it, but if you do you have it. And if your out camping (or whatever), give SSB a try - you never know who you'll find.

Kato Baggins

Rank II
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

Bend, OR, USA
First Name
Dave
Last Name
Robertson
Member #

Thanks for the reply. I ended up going with a regular ol' CB. I figure if I wanted to play around with SSB, I'd put one in the RV for entertainment.