Launch Member

Influencer I

Long Island, Ny
First Name
Lou
Last Name
Rom
Member #

hey everyone, i have a quick question, i have a 2012 nissan frontier, stock rear bumper.. now my question is could i add D-Ring mounts to the bumper and weld it on? or would that be bad if i use them ,there is a possibility the bumper could be pulled right off? i appreciate the input ive looked on forums and i get the 50/50 answers
thank you

Mike W

US MidWest Region Local Expert
Staff member
Investor

Expedition Master III

Iowa, USA
First Name
Mike
Last Name
IowaLR4
Member #

Do you have a rated tow hitch there? Most factory bumpers (the metal under the plastic bumper cover) are not rated as a recovery point.. they would bend. But the tow point is usually tied into the frame somehow.

Louie559

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer I

Long Island, Ny
First Name
Lou
Last Name
Rom
Member #

Do you have a rated tow hitch there? Most factory bumpers (the metal under the plastic bumper cover) are not rated as a recovery point.. they would bend. But the tow point is usually tied into the frame somehow.

this is the bumper , all metal except the step part, and i do have that tow hitch d ring , actually just got it a month ago
i believe its a hitch 3
IMG_4896.jpg

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

No
Member #

That bumper is basically sheet metal that is only really supported in the middle section and even then wouldn't take much pulling. The hitch mounted d ring is definitely a better way to go. I have an old hitch I wasn't using and took the ball off and put a d ring in its place for an even cheaper option. Even then I wouldn't pull sideways too much since it's really designed to pull/push straight on.

Sent from my iPhone using OB Talk

Louie559

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer I

Long Island, Ny
First Name
Lou
Last Name
Rom
Member #

t
That bumper is basically sheet metal that is only really supported in the middle section and even then wouldn't take much pulling. The hitch mounted d ring is definitely a better way to go. I have an old hitch I wasn't using and took the ball off and put a d ring in its place for an even cheaper option. Even then I wouldn't pull sideways too much since it's really designed to pull/push straight on.

Sent from my iPhone using OB Talk
thanks for the reply, if anything maybe go aftermarket bumper? and for now if needed use the hitch d ring

Reactions: 1derer and 000

1derer

Rank V
Launch Member

Traveler II

Carlsbad, CA, USA
First Name
user
Last Name
name
Member #

I am also under the opinion that welding a d-ring onto a stock bumper would be a bad idea for any real load (Like recovery). Even if you cut a slot in the bumper and welded it behind the bumper you would have limited material to support the load. Think you are on the correct path.

Reactions: Louie559

Louie559

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer I

Long Island, Ny
First Name
Lou
Last Name
Rom
Member #

i w
I am also under the opinion that welding a d-ring onto a stock bumper would be a bad idea for any real load (Like recovery). Even if you cut a slot in the bumper and welded it behind the bumper you would have limited material to support the load. Think you are on the correct path.
i was thinking the same thing welding it in from the back so the d ring hole in just showing in the outside of the bumper