Reno, Nevada, United States
First Name
Jim
Last Name
Bro
Member #

Service Branch
USAF DAV
All I am going to say is WOW!!!, While in Death Valley we had to use this in a no cell back country area, long story short, this allows voice or text to emergency services via satellite and it worked perfectly...... We got the person helicoptered to Vegas. I believe this ia an apple IOS feature not a iPhone version feature, I have it on my iPhone 12 and the wife has it on her 14.

Again WOW.

Jim

El-Dracho

Ambassador, Europe
Supporter
Investor

Inventor I

Lampertheim, Germany
First Name
Bjoern
Last Name
Eldracher
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
DO3BE
Cool. Thanks for the field report. It's always good to get first hand information. Especially when it's real experience with something and not just hearsay. Thanks!

I hope everything turned out well.

4X3Lander

Rank V
Launch Member

Steward I

California, United States
First Name
Don
Last Name
4X3Lander
Member #

This is one reason why I did upgrade - my wife too. I wanted this feature and for myself, needed more space. Glad to hear this feature worked out well!

Reactions: Kent R

Jim SoG

Forums Manager
Staff member
Investor

Educator I

Reno, Nevada, United States
First Name
Jim
Last Name
Bro
Member #

Service Branch
USAF DAV
More set up info:

Good to know:

Emergency SOS via satellite and privacy
When you text with Emergency SOS via satellite, your messages are sent in encrypted form, and decrypted by Apple to be passed along to the relevant emergency services dispatcher, or the emergency relay center. Your messages may be retained by emergency service centers and the relay provider to improve their services, and in compliance with applicable laws.

In order to route your text messages to a local emergency services organization, and to assist responders in reaching you, your location will be shared with Apple and its partners when you use Emergency SOS via satellite.
Locations shared via satellite in Find My are sent in an end-to-end encrypted form and can't be accessed by Apple.
At all times, information collected by Apple will be treated in accordance with Apple’s Privacy Policy.
1. In the U.S. and Canada, call or text 911. In France, call or text 112, 15, 17, 18, 114, 119, 191, and 196. In Germany, text 112 and 110. In Ireland and the U.K., call or text 999 or 112.
2. You need iOS 16.2 to connect to emergency services via satellite when you call or text 15, 17, 18, 114, 119, 191, and 196 in France, 110 in Germany, and 999 in Ireland. The availability of these additional emergency numbers might also depend on your cellular carrier.
3. Including Puerto Rico, the U.S. Virgin Islands, Corsica, Guadeloupe, Martinique, Saint Barthelemy, the Collectivity of Saint Martin, Saint Pierre & Miquelon, Isle of Man, Isle of Wight, Shetland Islands, Orkney Islands, and Scottish Hebrides.
Published Date: December 13, 2022

GFB_Steve

Rank III

Off-Road Ranger I

CA
First Name
Steve
Last Name
gfb
Ham/GMRS Callsign
KM6WJH
I have an iPhone 13. When out of cell service is usually says "SOS" in the upper right hand corner of the display where the signal reading usually is and the phone says something like, "SOS service only"... not sure what the 14 says when out of service.

Regardless, good stuff!