Colorado Springs, CO, USA
First Name
James
Last Name
Kultala
Member #

Service Branch
Retired Army
So this isn't a guide, just something to give ideas to others if they have the same issue. Winter is over, but as my 3rd with my Trailhawk, that was the last one I'm going to go through with frozen feet as I drive with the heater blasting in the morning. But this could also be done if you're driving out to a great overlanding spot and have the same problem.

I tore up the carpet and sure enough, no insulation from where my feet rest up to the firewall.

I bought a roll of blue polystyrene for next to nothing at Lowes and laid down enough vertically to cover all the metal, then for good measure I laid another row horizontally then put the carpet back and snapped 2 large plastic pieces back over top of it all.

Just to make sure this was going to do Something I also added a good layer to the bottom of my floor mat using some gorilla tape + spray adhesive.

It was a super easy job, luckily it was a nice sunny and windy day, perfect for outdoor jobs.

überlander

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer I

First Name
James
Last Name
Kultala
Member #

Service Branch
Retired Army
How did it perform?
World of a difference for me, driving to work in the morning is comfortable now, I almost had to turn the heat off (it was on low) but I would much rather have that "problem" than the reverse when I had the heat on high for my feet and was still freezing. I don't ride in my passenger seat so I'm not sure if I'll insulate that side as well but I could not be any happier with this $10 job I did!

überlander

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer I

First Name
James
Last Name
Kultala
Member #

Service Branch
Retired Army
Great idea. I got a Wrangler last year and noticed the cold floors over the winter, definitely something to look into. Thanks for the info.
Glad I could help! Was super easy, still happy with the results, my only regret is I didn't do it sooner. It's so nice not having frozen feet anymore.

Reactions: Gaingreane

Infidel439

Rank I

Enthusiast I

Virginia
So this isn't a guide, just something to give ideas to others if they have the same issue. Winter is over, but as my 3rd with my Trailhawk, that was the last one I'm going to go through with frozen feet as I drive with the heater blasting in the morning. But this could also be done if you're driving out to a great overlanding spot and have the same problem.

I tore up the carpet and sure enough, no insulation from where my feet rest up to the firewall.

I bought a roll of blue polystyrene for next to nothing at Lowes and laid down enough vertically to cover all the metal, then for good measure I laid another row horizontally then put the carpet back and snapped 2 large plastic pieces back over top of it all.

Just to make sure this was going to do Something I also added a good layer to the bottom of my floor mat using some gorilla tape + spray adhesive.

It was a super easy job, luckily it was a nice sunny and windy day, perfect for outdoor jobs.
I did something similar to the roof of my truck a couple years back. My headliner was dis-bonded and falling down, so I pulled the panel out and found no insulation there. I bought two cheap $3 windshield reflector panels and applied spray adhesive to bond them to the roof.

Reactions: überlander

tacoclifford

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Stony point, ny
First Name
Anthony
Last Name
Cirrilla
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KD2RMS
Man it’s nice to see someone else with a trailhawk! I’m totally doing this. That’s such a great idea

Reactions: überlander

MazeVX

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Gießen Germany
First Name
Mathias
Last Name
Kreicker
Member #

Great idea. I got a Wrangler last year and noticed the cold floors over the winter, definitely something to look into. Thanks for the info.
I'm experienced the same problem in my wrangler jku. I'm going to install armaflex or x-trem isolator under the carpet. This will help with the temperature and even the noise volume will decrease.
This stuff is made for automotive and does resist water and should not grow mold or something