idea for getting unstuck. is this feasible? is it new?

• HTML tutorial

taliv

Rank II

Enthusiast III

Tennessee
basically, using the spinning tires as a winch

usually getting stuck means your tires don't have sufficient traction, but they still spin.

so what if we devised a contraption that looks like a winch spool that would mount onto the hub/wheel, to which we would fix a strap or chain or whatever. as the tire spins, it still doesn't gain traction, but it does start winding in the strap/chain, moving the vehicle.

offhand, i can see several challenges:
- very diverse wheel patterns not intended for this function, though someone could design a wheel that would have the strength and a quick-attach/quick-detach mechanism for the spool

- you'd need lockers or the other wheel would spin (unless you put one on both sides, in which you just need 2x as much strap/chain)

- you'd need a pretty low gear, but i think this would be ok.

but the technique would have several advantages
- wouldn't need any traction at all
- would work for very heavy vehicles that would break maxtrax or exceed common winch specs
- would work in forward and reverse, unlike most front-bumper mounted winches
- strap/chain wouldn't be permanently mounted and exposed to elements (i.e. avoid UV prob with synthetic rope)
- could have various spool sizes, which would equate to gears. small spool for slow/hi-torque, larger spool for fast/low-torque
- operator must be in driver seat with foot on throttle, so probably fewer safety incidents with half-value knuckleheads straddling winch rope when it breaks

anyone ever try something like this? thoughts?

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

No
Member #

There's a company called Bush Winch that makes what you are describing. It seems like quite a bit of work and you'd need pretty ideal conditions, like a straight on anchor, etc... you also would need to not be real concerned with potential body damage etc if especially if using wire rope. it also seems like it would want to pull to one side especially in slippery mud and not stay spooled. It'd probably work to get out of a short muddy spot, but so would a traction mat type thing without all the work. It's been done, but imo there's better ways to get unstuck. The videos are interesting to watch though.

Sent from my iPhone using OB Talk

canadianoverlanders

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate III

Whitehorse, YT, Canada
First Name
Marcus
Last Name
and Laurie
Member #

x10 to what Lintnercory said.....there is way better ways to get unstuck.
We had them in the Canadian Army as part of the Bombardier Iltis VW Unstucker Kit back in the 90's before we got the G Wagon.
I stand to be corrected by my armoured recce brothers who were forced to use the Iltis in ways it was never meant to be used.
It worked ok sometimes. We very rarely used the kits other than on course. They were a Royal Pain in the caboose! They rarely worked in the field or down range. Tow strap or winch from another pull or push from another wheeled vehicle or fighting vehicle always worked better, faster and safer. That's not saying they are junk. There are better ways to get unstuck that are not complicated, that are easy to use under stress in the dark when it is raining with a 90% chance of snow and you are soaked. Just sayin'!
If you are looking for advice.....BUY a winch, Maxtrax, a good long handled shovel, good recovery kit and always go 4x4'ing with another capable vehicle.

Sent from my iPad using OB Talk

Reactions: GHQ1

taliv

Rank II

Enthusiast III

Tennessee
i have a good winch already. (warn 16.5k) and long handled shovel and quite a bit of basic recovery it. however, i was advised by a few that the weight on my truck (9800 lbs) would probably break the maxtrax. perhaps that's not true. i don't know.

definitely open to advice. was just thinking about alternatives. knowing lots of ways to solve a problem is usually a good thing

canadianoverlanders

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate III

Whitehorse, YT, Canada
First Name
Marcus
Last Name
and Laurie
Member #

For sure.....what truck do yo have?
Have you considered "sand ladders" they are popular in the foreign Military/Land Rover and Unimog communities, not particularly popular in North America.
They do support some pretty heavy Unimogs and those 8x8 trucks plus I've seen some pretty heavy land rovers in Afghanistan with them.
They are expensive and do work.....same idea as Maxtrax basically.
With the $ of Maxtrax they probably cost the same to get a set shipped to North America.
I would think there has got to be a supplier in the USA.
Hope that helps!

canadianoverlanders

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate III

Whitehorse, YT, Canada
First Name
Marcus
Last Name
and Laurie
Member #

Found them on amazon and they cost as much as Maxtrax.
Keep in mind with your trucks weight they are only for traction.....you can not bridge with them.

On another thought.... we use 4 Maxtrax with our jeep and now for our taco. Would that help your situation?

Sent from my iPad using OB Talk

dagen

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate II

Oakland, CA
Member #

+1 on the maxtrax. I feel like they can get you out of most situations. For the cost they are usually cheaper than a winch alone. Especially cheaper than a winch and bumper setup.

Reactions: canadianoverlanders

GHQ1

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Fidalgo Island, WA USA
Member #

US Military makes a "derigging ladder" designed to move a vehicle out of a transport aircraft. A nylon grid ladder (1.75" webbing) spools around the tire (s) to move the rig. Messy to be sure esp in the mud but they are light weight.
Fig2-7.gif

Boostpowered

Rank VI

Member III

Hunt county, TX, USA
First Name
Justin
Last Name
Davis
Member #

Id say that idea would work in theory but in the real world you would have a 10 inch or more spool coming off the side of your wheel or both wheels. If you have tire chains you may be able to attach a winch cable to the middle of the chain and let it spool around your tire, there are alot of backwoods solutions to problems. I jacked up my ford ranger 4x4 one time by wedging a log against my front bumper and driving forward until the momentum and length of log lifted the truck.

Boostpowered

Rank VI

Member III

Hunt county, TX, USA
First Name
Justin
Last Name
Davis
Member #

Best way not to get stuck hands down is to air down your tires before you get on the trail and go slow, if your doing the prerunner, trophy truck desert fast driving then a set of tracks are probably a good idea. But if not air down to 15psi and have atleast a 150psi air compressor onboard dont go over 30mph

Lunch Box

Rank IV

Advocate II

I concur on airing down. I also use the Mark 1 eyeball and that squishy thing between my ears when looking at the trail. I remind myself that I'm driving an 8,000 lb vehicle with a track width equivalent to the wheelbase of a CJ5 and a wheelbase as long as my zip code. Hands down, the easiest way to get unstuck is to not get stuck in the first place. That said, a capable winch, a good shovel, and forgiving friends are very helpful too.

Reactions: MuckSavage