nateh

Rank III

Advocate I

Pocatello, ID
First Name
Nate
Last Name
H
New to overlanding here (and off-roading in general) and trying to find a good list of some of the must-do or "good" trails in the state. I'm specifically in Pocatello and don't really know much to do in the area. Coming from the trail running/mountain biking world and knowing the trails around here I have my eye on some dirt roads locally that I'm aware of but that's it. These wouldn't be considered "classics" but in the spirit of collaboration, here's the trails I plan to hit here locally that may not be considered "overlanding" trails due to their length but would be a fun day trip:

Scout Mountain summit road - FS163->009 - Dirt road to the summit of Scout Mountain (8700' locally prominent peak). From my experience running it, it gets pretty loose and rocky towards the top

Kinport Peak/City Creek road - Upper City Creek lot->FS289 - I've only ran this but I hope to explore up the road but also camp around the area on top, potentially back around and down Trail Creek Rd.

Chinese Peak/Blackrock Canyon - BLM - There are 3-4 routes up this mountain, the easiest on Barton Rd being something that can be done in a 2WD car. I've ran up this and the worst obstacles are washboards. I'd like to try one of the other more difficult routes up to make a loop out of it in the area, either from Blackrock side to Buckskin Rd or vice versa. I've ridden the Blackrock area on a dirtbike but not to the top of Chinese. This might be something I'll need better beta on so I don't get stuck trying to ascend the peak and slide off the mountain or something if it's too crazy.

Inman Gulch to Lava Hot Springs - FS018->FS013->FS036orFS359 - Never done more than the initial climb up Inman so I've got little to no idea what to expect there.

M Rose

Local Expert
Mod Team

Advocate III

Northeast Oregon, United States
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Rose
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7FSB
Service Branch
US ARMY Retired
New to overlanding here (and off-roading in general) and trying to find a good list of some of the must-do or "good" trails in the state. I'm specifically in Pocatello and don't really know much to do in the area. Coming from the trail running/mountain biking world and knowing the trails around here I have my eye on some dirt roads locally that I'm aware of but that's it. These wouldn't be considered "classics" but in the spirit of collaboration, here's the trails I plan to hit here locally that may not be considered "overlanding" trails due to their length but would be a fun day trip:

Scout Mountain summit road - FS163->009 - Dirt road to the summit of Scout Mountain (8700' locally prominent peak). From my experience running it, it gets pretty loose and rocky towards the top

Kinport Peak/City Creek road - Upper City Creek lot->FS289 - I've only ran this but I hope to explore up the road but also camp around the area on top, potentially back around and down Trail Creek Rd.

Chinese Peak/Blackrock Canyon - BLM - There are 3-4 routes up this mountain, the easiest on Barton Rd being something that can be done in a 2WD car. I've ran up this and the worst obstacles are washboards. I'd like to try one of the other more difficult routes up to make a loop out of it in the area, either from Blackrock side to Buckskin Rd or vice versa. I've ridden the Blackrock area on a dirtbike but not to the top of Chinese. This might be something I'll need better beta on so I don't get stuck trying to ascend the peak and slide off the mountain or something if it's too crazy.

Inman Gulch to Lava Hot Springs - FS018->FS013->FS036orFS359 - Never done more than the initial climb up Inman so I've got little to no idea what to expect there.

Check out the IDBDR and the Nez Perce Trails... and then there are places like “Craters Of The Moon” to explore just south of you. Further south brings you into @David H and @reaver’s neck of the woods, they might be able to point you to some trails near Boise. @Sandpoint Steve is north west of you up in Sandpoint. Lots of trails all over your state to explore.

David C Gibbs

Rank VI

Member III

Boise, Idaho
First Name
David
Last Name
Gibbs
Member #

Hi Nate,
Welcome to OverlandBound. A major part of the IDBDR, is the Magruder Corridor up and over the Bitteroots/Selway. Then back over the Lolo pass. There is some very isolated, very scenic area. A trip close to you, in the summer months is to the top of Lemhi Pass at Tendoy, not for the weak of heart. It's low gear and brakes on the trip back down... I am working on "A Border to Border" going across the souther part of the state, starting in Jordan Valley, OR - taking the Owyhee Uplands Back Country Byway into Bruneau, down to Jarbidge, NV. Then on across FS 500 into Almo. Still working on the balance of the Route.

David G. - Boise, ID