Rapid City, South Dakota, United States
First Name
Kelly
Last Name
Herrin
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KFØDEX
A friend of mine, in the "Overwater" community, has one of these on his sail boat. He had a fridge, but likes this better. Makes 48lbs of ice a day, on 230 watts. Weights 41lbs. <$200.

Has anyone tried this for Overlanding?
IMG_4555.PNG

VCeXpedition

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Torrance, L.A., Cal., Earth
First Name
Dan
Last Name
Rich
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K6DHR
Does it run on 12 volts? Even so, almost 10 amps on 110v. Why would you want to haul water just to make ice? Be great for a larger rv, makes no sense to me. Like you're out of box thinking though. [emoji57]

Reactions: Kelly

Kelly

US Full-time/Long Term Travel Member Rep
Launch Member

Traveler III

First Name
Kelly
Last Name
Herrin
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KFØDEX
Does it run on 12 volts? Even so, almost 10 amps on 110v. Why would you want to haul water just to make ice? Be great for a larger rv, makes no sense to me. Like you're out of box thinking though. [emoji57]
230w @110v AC, makes it 2amp draw on your inverter, right? Is that 20 amps DC?

Kelly

US Full-time/Long Term Travel Member Rep
Launch Member

Traveler III

First Name
Kelly
Last Name
Herrin
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KFØDEX
I've had a few days to mull this over. Power consumption aside, go with me on this...

Let's say you're going out for a 3 day weekend. You know from experience that a single 5lb bag of ice will not last even 24 hours. So you get a 20lb bag. But, if you can make ice, you don't need to start off with 20lbs, right? You can just make 5lbs a day. Additionally, if you put your ice in zip lock freezer bags, you can just keep using the same 5lbs of water over and over. Because you're freezing it, and it's going in zip lock bags, evaporation is going to be minimal. In fact, 5lbs of water might supply you with a constant 5 lbs of ice for a week or two.

There! Now I can stop thinking about this, and order my fridge ;-)