I hate to ask but can someone dum down all this gps talk for some of us

• HTML tutorial

Dunewheeler12

Rank III

Traveler I

I’m new to the overlanding but not to off-roading id like to get out a explore more just looking for the easiest gps to use Ive been using navmii also have a stand alone basic garmin and have been happy with it but would like to learn and have a good back up plan in place

Thank

Reactions: Drifterman

James Deaton

Rank V

Pathfinder I

I use an iPad Air2, with Gaia mapping app. The iPad connects to a Bad Elf GPS PRO+ via bluetooth.

I mount the iPad over my factory radio when overlanding, and run music from the iPad into the factory radio.

I can also hotspot the iPad to my iPhone while driving to have internet access on the iPad while underway.

The Apple universe makes things pretty simple.

James

RootedWanderers

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Pelham, Alabama 35124
First Name
Wayne
Last Name
Sullivan
Member #

I have a Samsung Tab S3 running Gaia mounted with Ram mounts mounted to a Vector Offroad edock bar on the dash. Extremely happy with it.
This isn't my Jeep but similar to the way I have it set up..I have a ram mount for my phone and one for my tablet. I will have one for my ham head once I get my mobile unit.

James Deaton

Rank V

Pathfinder I

My iPad is wifi only, so it doesn’t have a GPS chip inside, therefore I needed the Bad Elf GPS PRO + to connect to satellites.

The iPads with wifi and cellular have GPS chips inside them, but I am skeptical as to whether they are as good as a dedicated GPS receiver that costs $350... They may be though, I’ve just never tried one out off the grid to verify.

James

James Deaton

Rank V

Pathfinder I

If you buy the iPad new, they may require a data plan depending on the deal you get at the store.

If you buy the iPad used, no dataplan ia required.

Regardless of those two factors, you do not need a data plan for the satellite chip to work. Data plan would be for cellular, satellite chip is separate. They just only put the satellite chip in the cellular model.

The beat way to test the chip is to put the iPad in Airplane mode, then open the Maps app, drive around, and see if it tracks you. *Airplane mode turns off the cellular chip, but not the GPS chip.

(I know they aren’t really chips, I’m just keeping it simple)

James

James Deaton

Rank V

Pathfinder I

Correct. Standard iPads are a great middle ground for price and screen size. IPad pros are larger and more expensive. I bought the 128GB size and we have like 40 movies on it, our entire music library, and downloaded Gaia maps... plus you can use it as a computer and phone where you go...

James

Rooster & Donna

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast II

Mountain View, AR, USA
First Name
Donna
Last Name
Brocka
Member #

I have a Samsung Tab S3 running Gaia mounted with Ram mounts mounted to a Vector Offroad edock bar on the dash. Extremely happy with it.
This isn't my Jeep but similar to the way I have it set up..I have a ram mount for my phone and one for my tablet. I will have one for my ham head once I get my mobile unit.
Love the look of this setup. Appears to give easy access while driving. Ordered the bar and the mounts.
Any idea if I can use the bluetooth on my garmin GPS and link it to my tablet so can use the gaia app?

1Louder

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member II

AZ
First Name
Chris
Last Name
K
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K1LDR
So if u use a iPad with cellular does the data plan need to be active
No...
Yes...
Maybe.

If you pre-download all of your maps you do not need an internet connection.

If you don’t pre-download then yes at some point your map will disappear. Most apps like Gaia do some data caching. Meaning as you are looking at maps while connected the app will save that data. It can’t be relied on though.

The cellular iPad does have a GPS chip but depending on where you mount one it may need an external GPS to be more reliable. Lots of debate and discussion on that in other threads.

James Deaton

Rank V

Pathfinder I

You must definitely download all maps related to the trip, as you may likely be offline. If you create a route, it will give you an option at the very end to download all maps associated with the route. I always choose full resolution when I download.

In addition you can download individual squares that are selectable in size, that way you can download a specific area unrelated to your route.

James

brien

Sonoran Space Program
Staff member

Off-Road Ranger I

Tucson, AZ
First Name
Brien
Last Name
Wankel
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K7XPO
WARNING: Hopefully it will never happen, but if for some unfortunate reason your passenger airbag goes off, that IPad may become a projectile possibly headed directly at the driver's head. I have a similar setup, but I have mounted my tablet just a bit higher and just a bit farther towards the driver above the radio head unit so it is hopefully fairly clear of any airbag deploy.

1Louder

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member II

AZ
First Name
Chris
Last Name
K
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K1LDR
No new comments :<
Plenty of good tutorials on YouTube. Look up the one that Lifestyle Overland did on Gaia GPS. Also, Swellrunner and a bunch of other Overlanders have created videos.