I had to make this, because I bought that.

• HTML tutorial

retrorabbit

Rank 0

Contributor I

Kentucky
First Name
Michael
Last Name
VanBenten
We're usually off road with friends and proper recovery equipment, however, we find ourselves in predicaments occasionally where a winch wouldn't be unwelcome. So, I bought a winch and had to make a fairlead mount. Has anyone else had to make something in order to use an item previously purchased?

Fairlead by retrorabbit87, on Flickr

Anak

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Sandy Eggo
I bought a Jeep, so I find myself making a lot of things in order to use my Jeep.

I am in the middle of building a set of rock sliders for it right now. Lots of aftermarket offerings for those, but none that met my criteria for strength and removability.

I had to fabricate several components for routing the cable for my Ox Locker.

I have fabricated a number of things for my ham radio set ups.

I have a winch install project that I am part way through that will have involved fabricating several components. The custom battery tray support to go over all the relays has been done. The fairlead setup to go through the front bumper is yet to come, plus whatever I wind up needing in order to access the engage/disengage lever.

I have a WJ brake conversion project for which I have already made my own spacers (I wasn't impressed with the fit on the JKS pieces I bought). I will need to make my drag link, tie rod and track bar. Odds are good there will be something else I will have to make for that before it is all done.

And one of these days I am going to build a trailer to go along with my Jeep. I have started collecting pieces for that project.

Making things is what I do in an effort to retain what little sanity I may have left.

Dilldog

Rank V
Launch Member
Investor

Influencer I

Spokane, WA.
First Name
Dillon
Last Name
Wilke
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7LVO/ WRQL275
Service Branch
USAF
I used to wheel an early Isuzu pickup, so I had to make everything. You dont fully appreciate aftermarket support until you get laughed at when looking for parts, lol.

Reactions: Jim SoG and smritte

smritte

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Ontario California
First Name
Scott
Last Name
SMR
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KO6BI
Making things is what I do in an effort to retain what little sanity I may have left.
I used to wheel an early Isuzu pickup, so I had to make everything
YES
Making stuff is part of the fun also, no one seems to make aftermarket parts that actually fit. I think they do this so we learn to fab.
This is how most of us relax.

JCWages

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Grass Valley, CA, USA
First Name
Justin
Last Name
Wages
Member #

I always have to make or modify stuff because I'm too cheap to buy the proper yet expensive part. So I spend the same amount of money, sweat, bleed and curse a lot to make the part myself.... :expressionless:

Reactions: smritte and J.W.

smritte

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Ontario California
First Name
Scott
Last Name
SMR
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KO6BI
This is funny, reading these post's. Sometimes we swear were not going to mod what we just bought or add anything new. I got a 2019 Tacoma a couple of months ago. I swear I am not going to mod it at all.

Well....except for the Ham and CB. OH... I need to upgrade the wiring, add a better USB and another fuse block. Have you seen how horrible the head lights are? Absolutely NEED to upgrade that. Did you know Toyota put car (P rated) tires on a 4WD?. Those NEED to be changed.

Other then that NO mods at all.

JCWages

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Grass Valley, CA, USA
First Name
Justin
Last Name
Wages
Member #

This is funny, reading these post's. Sometimes we swear were not going to mod what we just bought or add anything new. I got a 2019 Tacoma a couple of months ago. I swear I am not going to mod it at all.

Well....except for the Ham and CB. OH... I need to upgrade the wiring, add a better USB and another fuse block. Have you seen how horrible the head lights are? Absolutely NEED to upgrade that. Did you know Toyota put car (P rated) tires on a 4WD?. Those NEED to be changed.

Other then that NO mods at all.
You forgot the new +6bd gain antenna! lol

Reactions: smritte