Humming noise

• HTML tutorial

904pathy

Rank 0

Contributor I

Hey guy got a tech question. My rig is 2005 Nissan Pathfinder with 2" leveling kit 265/70/17 tires I'm hearing a loud humming noise coming from the front driver side tire. I rotated and inspected not seeing anything abnormal. What could this be?

4xFar Adventures

Rank VI
Founder 500
Launch Member

Benefactor

San Francisco,CA
First Name
Brenton
Last Name
Corns
Member #

What conditions cause the humming noise? When turning, only under acceleration, all the time? I assume the noise didn't move with the tire. Does the hum change pitch or speed based on engine rpm? Can you post a video of it?

Reactions: mmnorthdirections

mmnorthdirections

Rank VI
Founder 500
Investor

Off-Road Ranger I

Dixon Ca
First Name
mason
Last Name
north
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6EUR
It can be hard to determine. You said you rotated the tire, to another position and the sound did not move with the tire? If you rotate to another position you can rule out the tire. Then you need to determine if the sound increases with speed or go's away and only is heard at a particular range like 45-60. Have the tire checked for balance and uneven tire wear. A wheel bearing would usually be a constant, a worn half shaft axle cv joint can be intermittent at first signs of wear. They can make sounds at different times do to harmonics of the entire rotating assembly. And this could be a reach but is the fresh air snorkel snug and not causing turbulence and noise.
I hope this helps in your trouble shooting. You could also check a vehicle specific forum for like noises and trouble shooting ideas.
I have an FJ and I use the FJ cruiser forum as a resource.
Good luck!

mmnorthdirections

Rank VI
Founder 500
Investor

Off-Road Ranger I

Dixon Ca
First Name
mason
Last Name
north
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6EUR
What conditions cause the humming noise? When turning, only under acceleration, all the time? I assume the noise didn't move with the tire. Does the hum change pitch or speed based on engine rpm? Can you post a video of it?
We need more info!!!!!

Reactions: 904pathy

904pathy

Rank 0

Contributor I

Sorry mmnorthdirections. It hum at 40-60mph. It stops when I turn right for a bit but come back. A little vibrations but nothing to hard in the steering wheel

WJ - Firefly

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Casey County, Kentucky
First Name
David
Last Name
Goodyear
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KL7JKC
Sorry mmnorthdirections. It hum at 40-60mph. It stops when I turn right for a bit but come back. A little vibrations but nothing to hard in the steering wheel
Hub bearings. I just ordered new hub bearing assemblies for my WJ. Got the same noise. Will get louder as you put more miles on it.

Reactions: 4xFar Adventures