First Name
Parker
Last Name
Lee
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K6PWL
Hey OB!

New member here (waiting on number), but I've been a lurker for a while and I've got a huge chance here! My 2010 DCLB tacoma was stolen, recovered, and hence totaled due to the lovely tweakers that smoked meth in/on(?) it and walked on the roof. I had built my baby out kind of piecemeal as I got into overland adventure so it was pretty slapdash to be honest. USAA being the adoring insurance company that it is, has given me $28k because it seems they have as much sentimental value in my old beast as I do. We had a drawer system and sleeper platform in it which we loved but had its drawbacks.

Real question here is: If you could start over, what would your base rig be and how would you start?

waterfield

Rank IV
Investor

Off-Road Ranger III

Manteca, CA
First Name
Parker
Last Name
Lee
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K6PWL
Motoboss, that’s slick. I hadn’t thought of splitting it from my daily driver. A 2002 Camry and a gen1 taco sounds affordable on that line of thought for me lol

Reactions: Motoboss

HappyOurOverlanding

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Verdi Nevada
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KI7RAM
Hey OB!

New member here (waiting on number), but I've been a lurker for a while and I've got a huge chance here! My 2010 DCLB tacoma was stolen, recovered, and hence totaled due to the lovely tweakers that smoked meth in/on(?) it and walked on the roof. I had built my baby out kind of piecemeal as I got into overland adventure so it was pretty slapdash to be honest. USAA being the adoring insurance company that it is, has given me $28k because it seems they have as much sentimental value in my old beast as I do. We had a drawer system and sleeper platform in it which we loved but had its drawbacks.

Real question here is: If you could start over, what would your base rig be and how would you start?
That's always a hard question since we all have different wants and needs. I have a kitted out 4Runner which I understand is built on the Tacoma chassis so I am a bit Bias. If you want a camper then stick to a truck, if you are going towards a roof top tent then both platforms can be built for this along with the other glamping supplies.

Motoboss

Rank V
Launch Member

Traveler II

Martinsville, Indiana, USA
Member #

Motoboss, that’s slick. I hadn’t thought of splitting it from my daily driver. A 2002 Camry and a gen1 taco sounds affordable on that line of thought for me lol
Yeah, a lot of folks try to build one vehicle to do everything. It usually makes more sense, and money savings, to have a dedicated daily driver and have a dedicated "overland" rig set up and ready to go. Insurance, plates and such are the consideration but daily driving a fully kitted rig is generally excessive in wear and tear, damage and theft vulanurability.

waterfield

Rank IV
Investor

Off-Road Ranger III

Manteca, CA
First Name
Parker
Last Name
Lee
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K6PWL
Yeah, a lot of folks try to build one vehicle to do everything. It usually makes more sense, and money savings, to have a dedicated daily driver and have a dedicated "overland" rig set up and ready to go. Insurance, plates and such are the consideration but daily driving a fully kitted rig is generally excessive in wear and tear, damage and theft vulanurability.
Theft is what has me in this boat to start with...

Thinking early 2nd gen tacoma like I had and snagging a beater for work commuting.

Been torn between a ram1500 and another tacoma but I've still got time to mull it over.

Magic Mike

US Full-time/Long Term Travel Ambassador
Launch Member

Expedition Master I

Rapid City, South Dakota, United States
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Lee
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KM6YKV
Service Branch
Army & Marine Corps
Hey OB!

Welcome to Overland Bound. I am your U.S. West member representative. If you have any questions or concerns feel free to contact me @Magic Mike. You can also contact our Regional Director @Narbob if you feel the need.

Make sure to browse through the new member threads, for some great information and it will help you navigate the Overland Bound website.

Also make sure to check out Rally points and the calendar for your local meetups, trainings and trips. These are great areas to help you meet new like minded people.

Look forward to meeting you out on the trail.

P.S. I'm partial to the 4Runner:

qHf1XbFzR%qLdGIAEmtjZg.jpg5KZjy9xOTZG9qruW5l7kWQ.jpg

PNW EXPLR

Local Expert Southeast Washington, USA
Investor

Explorer I

Kennewick, WA, USA
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Denniston
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7LYZ
I would love to build a Chevy Colorado Diesel Z71 with a 4 Wheel camper.

Wallygator

Rank III

Contributor II

USA
I'm partial to the 4Runner also but I do like the new Ranger. Can get a Ranger XL with a locker for a pretty good price.

Dustinfromohio

Rank III

Enthusiast II

Wooster, OH, USA
First Name
Dustin
Last Name
Parsons
X2 on this. So nice to tear into a multi day project and leave everything out until finished without having to worry about getting it all reassembled before work. It also lets you run more aggressive/larger tires than you would with a long commute.

Reactions: Motoboss