How should I begin my build?

• HTML tutorial
I've got a 1989 Jeep Cherokee, which isn't usually turned into some awesome overland rig, but why not? It's all I've got. I'm just a 21 year old student! I'll attach a pic so you can see what I'm working with and what I have done so far. No interior mods as of yet, other than scanner, CB, wood dash, upgraded speakers, stereo, etc. No "overland" modifications! Lol. Got some rear body armor on the way, as well as some rock sliders. I've got plenty of light up front. LED headlights plus a 50'' curved lightbar, as well as the two 7-inch LEDs mounted to the bumper. Anybody have experience with Cherokees and have recommendations for roof racks, storage setups, etc?

Last edited by a moderator:

scubasteve2002

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Colorado, USA
First Name
Steve
Last Name
Lap
Member #

Doesn't matter what you drive. As long as you make it work for your needs! :) We got guys using Imprezas, Kias, and many other kinds of vehicles.

If I remember correctly the owner of Expedition Portal or Overland Journal owns a Cherokee like yours. There are also a few other members here with the Cherokee!

But my biggest suggestion for you is make it as reliable as you can, get as much recovery gear as possible and make sure you practice using every piece of it. Because when the time comes you want to be very proficient at it.

The grand scheme of things though is build it to your needs. If you are a weekend warrior there is no real need for a RTT and other extreme pieces of kit like that. A cooler and camping gear will do. Overlanding isn't about the style of vehicle and trying to fit in.

Just get outfitted to what you need and get out there to explore! I know many other people will chime in! :)

TreXTerra

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Salt Lake City, Utah
Member #

Looks like you are off to a good start, the rig is more than capable as it sits. One thing I would do, though, is consider removing the scanner. If you will be traveling between states, many states prohibit the use of scanners in a vehicle. Make sure you won't run afoul of any local LEOs because if your gear.

Honestly, you are way farther along on your build than I am. If it was me, I would consider a utility rear bumper with can carriers for fuel or water. I have something like this on my XTerra and it has been incredibly useful, you can also get a tire swing to reclaim some of your cargo space inside. A roof rack would probably be next, the inside of an XJ isn't spacious and there are lightweight items that can be stowed up there (chairs, camp table, etc).

I think you are more than ready to just throw some camping gear and water in the back and hit the trail as it sits right now. You are already of "need" and deep into "nice to have" territory.

xKennyx

Rank III
Launch Member

Traveler I

Your XJ looks killer man. If I were you, I would skip the roof rack. You already have a tire carrier on the back, so do what you can on the inside of your Jeep to keep your center of gravity low. The only thing I would really consider with your rig is a better rear axle (assuming yours is stock). Try to find a Dana 44 or a Chrysler 8.25 to just beef it up a little. Don't wanna be out on the trails and all of a sudden your axle bends. You can also get stuff like 1-Ton steering for XJ's or just a thicker tie rod from a Grand Cherokee I think (it's a direct swap-in). Killer looking rig though man.

Edit: there are actually some pretty great low profile roof racks out there that would be good to hang a canopy from and stuff like that. Amazon has a ton, and you can also check out sites like Quadratec.com and JCROffroad.com for good stuff.

vegasjeepguy

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Gravette, AR, USA
Member #

I am a big fan of using a "military-style" trailer for overland applications. Your rig is already a solid off-road vehicle and requires nothing more to enjoy the great outdoors and can get you virtually anywhere you want to go. What a trailer does is give you flexibility. The overlanding mods can be focused on the trailer and it's a project that can be completed in stages.

The hardest part is finding a reasonably priced trailer. If you have thoughts about going that route then start looking now as it took me over two years to find my M101 CDN trailer. IMG_1242.JPG

trikebubble

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

Penticton, BC
Member #

That's just plain awesome looking, pretty much the way she sits. If it were me, I'd get a roof rack or some sort....you can never have enough room to stow stuff. And maybe a winch, depending on where you go and if you head out solo. Aside from that , I've been learning as I tread deeper into the waters of this overlanding thing is a couple hings that seems to separate setting up an overland style rig from a more conventional "4x4" are the care and attention put into long term reliability, and the ability to be self reliant when one is far down the road less traveled.