How much lift should i get

• HTML tutorial

slomatt

Rank V

Influencer I

Bay Area, CA
Another benefit when driving on sand is light weight. Years ago a friend had a 72 Datsun 510 which we would load up with 4 guys and drive out to the end of Pismo Beach past where all the big lifted trucks would go. In many ways it was more capable on packed sand then the larger trucks were, and when it did eventually get stuck we'd chuck some pieces of wood under the wheels and get moving again.

Reactions: Andrew95

JCWages

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Grass Valley, CA, USA
First Name
Justin
Last Name
Wages
Member #

You'll need about 2" of lift and a cab mount chop (CMC) plus a little trimming of the inner fender well plastic as nedded. You may be about to avoid a CMC with enough caster added to you alignment but generally speaking most people that take their Tacomas offroad end up doing it. Assuming you do the typical 285/75/16 or 285/70/17. For sand you could look into a 275/70/17 (32.4") which may fit easier or just stick with a 265/75/16 or 265/70/17 (31.7"). Remember, the higher you lift the more the wheel will get pushed into the wheel well which may require lower offset wheels or wheel spacers to keep the tire from rubbing the frame or swaybar, UCA etc. At the end of the day, tire pressure will make the biggest difference in sand. Plus or minus 1" of tire height won't make a huge difference.

Check Tacomaworld for hundreds of threads on the subject.

Reactions: Andrew95