How can we help you be better land use stewards?

• HTML tutorial

uss

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Odessa TX
First Name
Todd
Last Name
Ockert
Member #

I'm sad to see my concerns about share trails organization is confirmed by Navy Jeeps attitude toward conservationists.
I think if you look at our web site, you will see that we say that Wilderness has it's place.
Lately, some of the Wilderness and Monument designations were done with little to zero input from the local people on the ground in those areas.
Conservationist
noun
noun: conservationist; plural noun: conservationists
  1. a person who advocates or acts for the protection and preservation of the environment and wildlife.

End of the day, I know we all want the same thing for our public lands. For them to be protected for ALL of us to be able to recreate.
We all have our different forms of recreation on public lands, and we all need to have the same rights and for it not to be exclusionary to a specific group!

I hoped we would all count ourselves among their number. After all, wilderness is the one thing we'll never get back... I am uncomfortable with this new partnership.
I appreciate that you took the time to join our organization.
Please tell me what you are uncomfortable with?
If it is that we promote responsible use, compromise in land use decisions?
We have promoted Monuments before and when they made sense.
Don Amador, our Western Representative helped craft and formulate the Monument designation in Northern California and the name escapes me at the moment.
Wilderness locks the land to the exclusive use of exclusionist. I am older, have a disability from my military days, and am not able to get into the Wilderness like I use to be able to.
I need either the use of a bike or OHV to help me get to my destination.

But I'm damn sure that a hostile attitude is the wrong one. Starting to wonder if I should have bought by membership after all...
We are not trying to be hostile towards anyone.
We have people working in collaboration on projects in different places.
One is in the Sierra National Forest with the Dinky Lakes Restoration Collaborative.
This is a group of folks from all the different groups have an interest in the forest and setting the ground rules with the forest on how it should be managed.
If that is not conservation and collaboration, I am not sure what is.

Please feel free to reach out to me if you have other questions or concerns.

Thanks

Todd

Justinwrites

Rank III
Launch Member

Advocate I

Olympia, WA
Member #

Here's the problem. I didn't join the BRC or Share Trails, I wouldn't have. But Overlandbound, which I am a new member, essentially just signed us all up.

Anyone with eyes can read the oppositional tone you and the various incarnations of your group use in reference to conservationists.

It's not like you're taking a cooperative stance, partly due to the opposition toward Wilderness Designation.

I'll continue in my other thread so as not to totally hijack this one.

Captain Chaos

Rank VI
Launch Member

Traveler III

No
First Name
No
Last Name
No
As @Road mentioned earlier, I too would like material to hand out to land users as I encounter them. I would be happy to pay for any material and time.
Yesterday, Mrs. Lorax and I went on a day trip to a popular atv, side by side destination in Idaho. Most of the riders we encountered were courteous. We came across a large group that happened to be going the same direction as us. You know this group, the one that stops every few miles to have a beer and wait for the stragglers. A few members gave ol’ Number 7 (built jk) the stink eye as we slowly rolled past. One young rider, approximately 10-12, tried to throw rocks at us by spinning his tires and rocking the bars when he passed us.
I let this slide, as I’ve been a member of this group of riders in a past life. Someone that young man respected said some words about us as we passed. Whether out of jealousy or ignorance, those words touch our youth and affect their future actions.
For those who don’t know me, I’m intimidating. I’m not real tall, but barrel chested and my nicest smile entices photographers to coax me to “smile big”. I have a long mustache that makes me look like the Lorax in the wind. I’m afraid of little, but I’m VERY respectful.
After leaving them behind, it took me a few miles to realize that I missed a golden opportunity to hand out a couple flyers and say a few words about land closure. From here on out, I would like to be better prepared.

Reactions: Del Albright

uss

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Odessa TX
First Name
Todd
Last Name
Ockert
Member #

As @Road mentioned earlier, I too would like material to hand out to land users as I encounter them. I would be happy to pay for any material and time.
Yesterday, Mrs. Lorax and I went on a day trip to a popular atv, side by side destination in Idaho. Most of the riders we encountered were courteous. We came across a large group that happened to be going the same direction as us. You know this group, the one that stops every few miles to have a beer and wait for the stragglers. A few members gave ol’ Number 7 (built jk) the stink eye as we slowly rolled past. One young rider, approximately 10-12, tried to throw rocks at us by spinning his tires and rocking the bars when he passed us.
I let this slide, as I’ve been a member of this group of riders in a past life. Someone that young man respected said some words about us as we passed. Whether out of jealousy or ignorance, those words touch our youth and affect their future actions.
For those who don’t know me, I’m intimidating. I’m not real tall, but barrel chested and my nicest smile entices photographers to coax me to “smile big”. I have a long mustache that makes me look like the Lorax in the wind. I’m afraid of little, but I’m VERY respectful.
After leaving them behind, it took me a few miles to realize that I missed a golden opportunity to hand out a couple flyers and say a few words about land closure. From here on out, I would like to be better prepared.
If you would like additional information, like magazines or membership brochures to hand out, let me know, and we can have the office supply you with some.
PM me your address, and I will relay the info to the office in Pocatello.
If you are every passing through Pocatello, please feel free to stop in and say hi.

Thanks

Todd