Contributor I

Beaverton, OR
First Name
Phillip
Last Name
Pedigo
Ham/GMRS Callsign
KG7PWW
I have put together a system that will let my Jeep send and receive SMS messages anywhere via the Iridium satellite network. I would be happy to work with anyone wanting to replicate this for themselves and will provide source code on request.

This is not entry level stuff as it requires some knowledge of programming, embedded systems, internet servers and does cost a little bit to acquire and keep up and running. But hey, now you can receive texts from the spouse while in the wild to let you know that the kids are misbehaving ;)

The system consists of two separate pieces of software, one on an internet connected server, the other running in your vehicle, laptop, etc. that is with you (and connected to the Iridium modem). You will also need an Iridium modem (mine is a 9602)

Server - software running here communicates with Twilio to send/receive SMS messages to/from anybody's iGadget (back home). The server also is capable of communicating with Iridium's internet servers to send and receive short text messages over their satellite system. In short the server brokers messages between SMS (Twilio) and satellites (Iridium). My server also injects APRS packets into the APRS-IS stream - which may, or may not, be appropriate for you (are you a HAM?).

Jeep - the second bit of software runs in my Jeep on a Raspberry Pi and interfaces with the Iridium modem. This software presents a set of web pages that someone, connected to the Jeep's WiFi access point, can use to send and receive messages.

Costs
1. Iridium modem - $300 to $500. I had planned on purchasing one but lucked out and found one in a lab cleanout at work that was about to be tossed (I work in satcom).
2. Twilio account (cheap) to send/receive SMS messages to iGadgets in the city.
3. Internet server to run your gateway on. You may have already as I did, or you may be able to do this from your home machine.
4. Iridium account. Fairly cheap but each send/receive costs up to $0.25. There is an activation fee as well as a monthly fee (~$15). I got my Iridium service through SatPhoneStore but do not recommend them. Rockblock has a similar service that makes it easier to access Iridium server at a slightly higher cost.

We desire some connectivity to communicate in/out of the wild but do not desire full on internet because nobody wants to sit around a campfire with someone glued to their phone... If you desire full mobile internet connectivity talk with me - but make sure you have a very fat wallet. Really, very fat, obscenely fat, morbidly obese wallet.

I created the system recently during Seattle's "snowmaggedon" and still have bit of cleanup work to do but it works very well.

If you are inclined to try this yourself let me know. If we ever find ourselves on the trail together feel free to drop by and see the system and send an SMS to a loved one.
First off, this is AWESOME. Great job! I want to get started myself. I see the Garmin inReach would have the same up front and month to month service cost, but this is way cooler. Can you send me your source code? Many thanks from Portland, Phillip

Reactions: Drifterman

Ubiety

Rank VI

Explorer I

Sammamish, WA, USA
First Name
Greg
Last Name
Ubiety
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
Ribs
First off, this is AWESOME. Great job! I want to get started myself. I see the Garmin inReach would have the same up front and month to month service cost, but this is way cooler. Can you send me your source code? Many thanks from Portland, Phillip
Absolutely. I’ll need to scrub my keys out of it, etc. Are you interested in the flask UI to interface with the modem and/or the server code? It’s all python.

Reactions: Drifterman

gadid

Rank 0

Contributor I

j-m
First Name
Gadi
Last Name
Doron
I'll be happy to have access to your code. Have you put it on github?

Gadi

Sibetribe

Rank 0

Off-Road Ranger I

Huntington Beach, CA, USA
First Name
Rhameen
Last Name
Kolyani
Ham/GMRS Callsign
KM6CVW
Amazing! Sorry for my ignorance but why this over a Garmin inreach? Was this for the challenge? I'm sorry I dont have the knowledge to fully understand your system, therefore I'm bit sure what the differences are

dgorman

Rank 0
Launch Member

Contributor I

Sacramento, CA, USA
First Name
Dan
Last Name
Gorman
Member #

Hello, I’d love to give this a try, we are looking to send position and power telemetry to our own systems via the inReach and RPI.