Home Built Adventure Trailer out of Utility Bed Trailer

• HTML tutorial

JoeTCreep

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

Northridge CA
Member #

I posted this on another members thread and though some of you might dig it and/or give me some input on it. I took an old utility trailer that was already built on an old pickup chassis and went to work. The pickup axle and springs were ditched in favor of a trailer axle with proper springs and geometry corrected. I used 1 1\4" Schedule 40 aluminum pipe and speedrail (Hollaender) fittings to fab a basic cage around three sides of the perimeter of the trailer that I mounted two side shade awnings that kinda extend out like wings and also a small front facing led light bar and two rear led pods for lighting. My next step there is to get a hard shell roof tent and extend the pipe so that my sleeping area is directly above the storage bed. I then wired in two deep cycle batteries in parallel and installed a voltage monitor. Added a smart charger/maintainer that is mounted to the trailer and ran the port to an external Hubbell so I could plug the trailer in at home or run off a generator. I also wired in a plug that I could connect a smart solar charging panel with built in logic to properly charge and maintain batteries. I put a convertor in the electronics box that I can switch on and off as needed and ran the outlets to an exterior shielded socket so I could plug whatever I wanted into it. I then installed a cb radio with an external speaker and a firestik antenna and I keep two hand held radios so there's a base station and a couple portables that people can grab and go on a hike but still have communication. I wired led lighting into each storage bin on a master switch. I added a 30 gallon water tank under the trailer and plumbed the fill to the spot where the utility bed fuel fill neck would have been. I then added an electric pump on the side of the trailer frame with a foot actuation pedal that can be plugged in at camp then coiled up and out away for travel. I run the water outlet line through a small folding table with a sink in it. I also made sure the drain for the water tank was accessible should I need access to the water if for some reason I don't have power. I added a small charging strip inside the electronics box with two usb and two cigarette style chargers. Also on a switch to prevent any possibility of an unwanted draw on the batteries. Each electrical circuit is wired and fused independently so should one system fail it would not affect any others and it also facilitates easy trail side repairs. I installed two leveling jacks on the rear so that when extended you can disconnect the vehicle and have a stable platform climb on for access or whatever. I built a wooden sealed box that I mounted on front of the bed on top of the frame rails that I store my cords, water feed tube, patching kit, stove and tool kit in. On top of that I welded up a six bay 5 gallon can holder that I use for gas, diesel, water or tool storage based on my needs. Added some e track on front for utility and because I had it laying around. My compartments as divided up into a kitchen, electronics compartment, straps rope and medical, pantry, camping fun and bulb items area. Added d rings and carabineers on all four corners to hang gear/bags from. So far I am very happy with its design and performance. Currently adding a pintle hitch ring for better articulation when towing on trails. Its not super heavy duty, but it fits my needs and wants perfectly.

Quicksilver

Rank VI
Launch Member

Advocate III

Molalla, OR
Member #

I've been considering going this route. Someone nearby has a utility bed similar to this just sitting in his field. I really want to go make him an offer and turn it into a trailer, but funds are limited at the moment.

vegasjeepguy

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Gravette, AR, USA
Member #

Currently adding a pintle hitch ring for better articulation when towing on trails. Its not super heavy duty, but it fits my needs and wants perfectly.
The last sentence of your post I found what I was looking for. I'm a big pintle hitch fan but they are noisy. Many prefer a Maccoupler type because it is quieter. Your trailer is extremely well thought out and executed. I always get concerned with weight when I see a trailer made from a converted vehicle bed because the original axle is both unnecessary and heavy, but you've addressed that as well. Well done, sir.

I did make a comment on your profile page a while back misidentifying your avatar as the vehicle in an old 70s Saturday morning TV show called Ark 2. It's similar to the one from Damnation Alley but not nearly as robust.

JoeTCreep

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

Northridge CA
Member #

The last sentence of your post I found what I was looking for. I'm a big pintle hitch fan but they are noisy. Many prefer a Maccoupler type because it is quieter. Your trailer is extremely well thought out and executed. I always get concerned with weight when I see a trailer made from a converted vehicle bed because the original axle is both unnecessary and heavy, but you've addressed that as well. Well done, sir.

I did make a comment on your profile page a while back misidentifying your avatar as the vehicle in an old 70s Saturday morning TV show called Ark 2. It's similar to the one from Damnation Alley but not nearly as robust.
I tried to make the trailer relatively simple yet very utilitarian. Its easy to keep adding things you don't actually need but just want to be more comfortable. I wanted this to be sturdy, thought out and I am very happy with the end result. I totally agree with you about using an automotive axle on a trailer. Thanks for the kind words.

I remember Ark 2! Always loved Damnation Alley as a kid....

Reactions: vegasjeepguy

BLACK_BETTY

Rank 0
Launch Member

Traveler I

Bowling Green, Ohio, USA
Member #

I know this is an older thread but hopefully you are still active. I am just curious how it has been working out for you.

I just missed an awesome deal on a fiberglass utility bed but I am pretty set on going this route. Quite honestly I am a little surprised I havent seen more of these. They may be a bit heavier but to already have weather sealed and locking doors, a bunch of storage compartments and even some slide outs is a no brainer to me. They can be had at a fraction of the price and made exactly how you want it.

My plans are similar. I want to start with a fiberglass bed and add a trailer axle with elec brakes and hopefully matching wheels and tires. The electronics will be standalone but can be charged by the truck. (The one I missed had the generator still) My RTT and 270 awning will make it a perfect base camp for our family.

I am on the hunt now. [emoji1]

Reactions: B-R