History of My Past & Present Vehicles (Australia)

• HTML tutorial

RobMac

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Brisbane, Queensland Australia
First Name
Rob
Last Name
Mac
Member #

Guys, thought I would do something different and post up a History of my past and present 4WD's here in Australia (hope this is ok?):

So, here goes... starting back in 1986

With my parents always taking me camping, I always wanted to eventually get a 4WD, but since $$ was hard to come by back then, I eventually bought my 1st 4WD - 1982 Toyota Blizzard. This was basically a rebadged

Daihatsu F50/Scat. It had a 2.2ltr Diesel engine which was also found in the 1st Diesel Hiluxes.
This 4WD served well in gaining experience in 4WDriving. We hit the bush back then as often as we could and also the beaches as well.

In 1987 saw our 1st attempt at a touring trip when we headed up to do The Cape in north Queensland. It was fairly wild country back then but it was this trip that gave me the passion for exploring/touring around the

country whenever the opportunity came up. After coming back from the Cape, I realised I needed a bigger/roomier 4WD, so in 1988 this lead me to buy my 1st real tourer - 1984 2.4D Hilux Single Cab. This vehicle basically

was unbreakable with what it was put through. In its 1st trip took me around Australia of sorts, crossing the Oodnadatta Trk; The Gunburrel Hwy; The Canning Stock Route(CSR); The Gibb River Road(GRR) - some

15,000kms in 6wks. The vehicle was put through hell and made it back in one piece. From there it completed more trips across the central Aust Deserts,etc.

During our very muddy CSR Trip back in 1989, I realised how much easier the 60's Cruisers handled the conditions with the taller tyres, so I continued to save my $$ and in 1993 I eventually had enough to buy my 1st

Cruiser - a 1984 Blue Landcruiser HJ60 Wgn. This Cruiser was to become the best 4wd tourer that I owned for a long time. I set it up for touring mainly and completed many trips in it which included Simpson Desert;

Litchfield & Kakadu NPs; Lawn Hill NP; Flinders Ranges NP; The Great Ocean Road; the Victorian High Country. As time went on, I changed the setup where by I ended up sleeping in it as I was mainly touring around by

myself.

From there, I sort of went off track a bit and bought a 89 Subaru "L" series Wagon (sold it a few years later after I realised I could achieve what I wanted to do):

After I got my head back on straight... I bought a '92 Landcruiser 80's HZ Wagon. I thought this would have been a long term keeper for touring but that's not how things turned out with myself only doing a couple of smaller

trips in it before I got married and that's where things slowed down a bit...

After settling down & getting married and with the wife not wanting to drive a manual, it was time to say farewell to the 80's Cruiser and hello to my '99 105's Cruiser Wgn (Auto). This vehicle at the time was the biggest

financial outlay I had ever done when buying a vehicle... With now having kids, this 105's Cruiser became our family tourer as we bought a Campertrailer and when that became too much, we bought our 1st caravan and

this combination stayed with us for a few years as the kids grew

During this period, I realised how expensive the 105's was as a daily driver, which lead me towards my next purchase - 1993 Suzuki Vitara 5dr Wgn. This was to become my daily driver + my weekend 4WDriving/Exploring

Toy and is also where I started learning more mechanical skills as I found I broke more things on the Zook as I became more confident in where it would get me. With this being my very 1st Independant Front Suspension

(IFS) 4WD I was constantly impressed as to where this little 4WD would take me. I fell in love with the little Zook (& I still own it to this day as well). I found it would keep up with a lot of the solid axle Suzuki Sierras as

well. Being narrow it was great for exploring those narrow tracks too.

During this period, I was a member of the local Suzuki 4WD club and I found a Suzuki Sierra LWB in a guy's shed. I bought it with grand plans but it just didn't turn out that way and ended up selling it.

As time went on, I sold the 105's Landcruiser and bought our 1st brand new 4WD - a Toyota Landcruiser Prado 150 D4D Auto and this was to become our family tourer for years to come. As a family we did a Van trip

through NSW/VIC country when we 1st got it, then moved on to Tent camping with Trips across the Simpson Desert; Central Australia; Cape York; along the Darling River through NSW. This quickly racked up the kms as it

was also the Wife's daily driver as well.

During this time, I bought myself another 4wd as I wanted to go further a field and the little zook had limited in range, so I ended up buying a Nissan Navara D20 DualCab ute. The thought was that it may become our family

tourer and take some yearly kms off the Prado - I was wrong and sold it again within a few years...

As I was doing more & more self 4wdriving/exploring I wanted something with more range and cousin of mine had bought and old Landrover Discovery-1 Diesel. He had to pick me up one weekend when I snapped a rear

axle in the Zook coming out of Sundown NP and I was taken back by the ride & comfort of the Disco. It wasn't too long before I had sold the Nissan and had bought myself my very 1st Landrover - 1996 LR Disco-1 Tdi300

Diesel Auto. This vehicle was simply brilliant in its comfort on and off road and it's 4wd ability was fantastic.

By this time I had come to realise that all the stories I had heard about Landrovers weren't necessarly all true as it basically came down to your maintenance, so I started thinking about Defenders and what they would be

like, so one day I made the mistake by driving down the coast to just "have a look" at a Defender that this fella was selling. Like most old Defenders, it had been used for what it was built for and it showed with dents, etc

but I just wanted to see what they drove like so I took it for a drive. Two weeks later it was sitting down in my back paddock (unregistered). For nearly 2yrs it sat there before I grew tired of seeing it there, so I decided to

get it fixed up and registered purely so I could sell it... This is where the Defender Community kicked in when I put the shout out for help and I was blessed to meet a guy that was super patient and helped me restore the

old Defender back on the Road. Once registered and I started driving it around, I simply fell in love with it and set about making it our family Touring Vehicle with its 1st Family Trip being down through the Victorian High

Country(VHC) towing our Campertrailer. By this time the number of registered vehicles I had grown to 4, so it was time to de-register the Zook as the Disco & Defender became my daily drivers and weekend explorers near and far.

The VHC went well, except now my nearly fully grown 3 teenage kids felt too cramped and the rear seats in old Defenders don't come with headrests, so on our return home I started looking at a newer versions of the Defenders (called Defender Pumas) that had better seating front and rear and had a more modern interior of sorts. These later Defenders were starting to rise in price in the 2nd market due to them not being made anymore but I eventually found the right one that had been highly modified and with most of the LR issues sorted out - so I bought it - a 2009 Defender110 2.4 Tdci Wgn. This gave me a dilemma though, I was back to having 4 registered 4WD's again, so something had to go....this is the dilemma I'm still faced with to this day :( (especially now that I've re-registered my little Zook so my Daughter has a car to drive). We took the newer Defender Puma on its first big overland Trip across the desert twice last year in 2019. We did the Madigan Line East to West (an complete off-track journey of some 700-900kms), then returned via the south via the Rig Rd and French Line to Birdsville and home. Trip went well, except for a dose of dirty fuel in Alice Springs. In these newer Modern CRD engines, it doesn't go well but we were fortunate to get ourselves home to where the fuel tanks had to be removed and cleaned...

So... that's pretty much where we are at currently.... 5 Registered 4WD's... The plan for this year was to sell the wife's Prado and get her a little run around and then also sell the LR Disco as I no longer really use it too much as the 2 Defenders I have is what I drive now. The Disco is good for the kids to learn to drive in though and as I have another child getting his learners this year, I'll see how things go but due to the COVID-19 issues, there's no real point in trying to sell any cars in this climate...

Sorry for the long drawen out story but I thought this would be just something different to posting the normal vehicles pics w/o a bit of a history story...

cheers...
Rob

NotGumby

Local Expert Germany
Investor

Influencer II

Frankfurt, Germany
First Name
Rick
Last Name
Vinnie
Member #

Service Branch
Army Veteran 11B 54E
Well, that's a vehicle choice evolution story! Mine much shorter. Jeep Wrangler, Jeep Cherokee, Jeep Grand Cherokee, to a Prado, which is the best vehicle I've ever owned. They are rare here in mainland Europe. Too bad your Prado has to go, but they really are expensive to keep as a daily driver.

Reactions: RobMac

RobMac

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

First Name
Rob
Last Name
Mac
Member #

Well, that's a vehicle choice evolution story! Mine much shorter. Jeep Wrangler, Jeep Cherokee, Jeep Grand Cherokee, to a Prado, which is the best vehicle I've ever owned. They are rare here in mainland Europe. Too bad your Prado has to go, but they really are expensive to keep as a daily driver.
Yes, u are correct... It's been a very reliable vehicle but it also has been the most expensive vehicle that we have owned. This is probably due to always paying for servicing for the past 9yrs of ownership, with only now myself doing the Engine Oil/Filter servicing. The Prado has now done a bit over 223,000 kms, so it's time to move it on...
It's been reasonably reliable over the past 10yrs of ownership with only having the Alternator fail on us while we were on a remote Trip to Cape York. We did replace the injectors at 160,000km mark as a precaution...

NotGumby

Local Expert Germany
Investor

Influencer II

Frankfurt, Germany
First Name
Rick
Last Name
Vinnie
Member #

Service Branch
Army Veteran 11B 54E
Yes, u are correct... It's been a very reliable vehicle but it also has been the most expensive vehicle that we have owned. This is probably due to always paying for servicing for the past 9yrs of ownership, with only now myself doing the Engine Oil/Filter servicing. The Prado has now done a bit over 223,000 kms, so it's time to move it on...
It's been reasonably reliable over the past 10yrs of ownership with only having the Alternator fail on us while we were on a remote Trip to Cape York. We did replace the injectors at 160,000km mark as a precaution...
Mine is at 188K, I'm hoping to get at least 250K - 300K out of her. She hasn't been a daily driver in a while so only a few long trips in the year. I did the injectors at 127K because #3 was acting up. My only problem has been a KDSS cylinder leak, which was pretty expensive to replace. In general, Toyo services are expensive in Europe too. They're up there with the big German names like BMW or Audi. The best picture is the the Subi on the trail.

Reactions: RobMac

Matthew Reed

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Georgia
First Name
Matthew
Last Name
Reed
Member #

That’s quite the history! Mine is a little bit easier. I’ve owned quite a few vehicles over the years (I think I’m up to 13 or 14) but only 4 have actually been 4WD, and only 2 of them really capable on anything worse than a dirt road.

In high school I had a 2001 Chevy Blazer. Great first car. Mine had a bench front seat so I could cram 5 friends in with me for trips to the beach or mountains. After delving into the sports car scene I wound up with a 1997 Ford Explorer. Awesome vehicle, never let me down until the body started rusting away. Years later I picked up a 2000 Jeep Cherokee to build for fun and that’s when I actually started getting into overlanding. After having dealt with 3 subs of a similar vintage (which couldn’t have been more different from one another) I bought my current vehicle, a 2018 Nissan Frontier (Navarra in Australia). All of the other cars I had in between were a mix of econo boxes for commuting and a couple of sports cars for fun.

Reactions: NotGumby and RobMac

RobMac

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

First Name
Rob
Last Name
Mac
Member #

That’s quite the history! Mine is a little bit easier. I’ve owned quite a few vehicles over the years (I think I’m up to 13 or 14) but only 4 have actually been 4WD, and only 2 of them really capable on anything worse than a dirt road.

In high school I had a 2001 Chevy Blazer. Great first car. Mine had a bench front seat so I could cram 5 friends in with me for trips to the beach or mountains. After delving into the sports car scene I wound up with a 1997 Ford Explorer. Awesome vehicle, never let me down until the body started rusting away. Years later I picked up a 2000 Jeep Cherokee to build for fun and that’s when I actually started getting into overlanding. After having dealt with 3 subs of a similar vintage (which couldn’t have been more different from one another) I bought my current vehicle, a 2018 Nissan Frontier (Navarra in Australia). All of the other cars I had in between were a mix of econo boxes for commuting and a couple of sports cars for fun.
Yes, I was surprised at where my little Subaru Wgn went. I tried to set it up as a touring vehicle for one person and had it in a way that I could sleep in the rear of it but I had to leave the rear tailgate up so I had enough length... Only ever did 1 touring trip in it and realised I was kidding myself if I really wanted to do any real long-distance outback trips, so I ended up selling for my 80's Cruiser.

I did forget to include was a Subaru Brumby Ute that I had for a short period... I never had photos it but having a family, it wasn't going to be very useful for our family...

My Nissan Navara as also a little bit of a mistake in the end as it was just too small for a family of 5 but it had plenty of storage in the rear cargo area though...

I reckon I'll be keeping my Defenders for quite some time yet as I just like the simplicity of them and I reckon they are such an iconic vehicle and the Defender Community around the world seems to be an awesome community...

Reactions: NotGumby