Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Sacramento, ca
First Name
Brian
Last Name
Brodsky
I'm planning a high rock canyon trip over Thanksgiving. Another family will be joining us so in total we have 4 kids ages 4-7yr old. Was hoping some of you could share some attractions along the Black Rock High Canyon route we should keep an eye out for.

genocache

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

Boulder Creek, CA, USA
First Name
gene
Last Name
L
Member #

I haven't been to the Black Rock since the mid 90's and unfortunately Burning man has changed a lot of it for the worse, IMHO.
There used to be the remnants of a petrified forest to the west of the road, 217, to Soldier Meadows , Used to be able to go into Wheeler Ranch and cool off in the water trough, there used to be a fee dig opal mine, still on googleEarth, Royal Rainbow Opal Mine. There are pioneers names on the canyon wall. I've never been all the way through so can't comment on more Northerly stuff.

It is likely to be very cold, so keep an eye on the weather, Mossies shouldn't be an issue. In the past Empire had cheaper gas than Gerlach, just make sure you fuel up at one of them, if still open.

Used to be able to drive out to Fly geyser and camp there, but Burning Man bought the property and keep it for themselves. Almost across the road from Fly there used to be access to camping in the trees of Cottonwood Creek, but Burning Man bought it and closed it off.

Fremont came through the area in 1843-44 and discovered the Great Boiling Springs of Gerlach one frosty day when they could see the steam rising in the distance. Used to be able to go in the springs, well the non-boiling one at least, until partiers from Reno came up too often and got drunk and stepped in the boiling waters flowing from the pools. It' was an hour + for the ambulance to come from Fernly to help them. So Gerlach fenced them off in the late 80's.

There is/was a Treasure map of the area showing geodes and petrified wood and such. IDN if it is still available.

Have fun it is a beautiful area!

Reactions: Norcalocal