PennStateTaco

Rank 0

Traveler I

PA
First Name
Bye
Last Name
Bye
Your opinion on the number and quality of the states off roading has no bearing on the statement you made about going into closed places. If its closed, its closed. No matter the reason. Public or private. People who dont follow the rules ruin it for everyone and deserve penalties when caught.
Good lord I am new here but no more. There are so many more things to worry about in this world than this petty nonsense. Enjoy your forums

DevilDodge

Rank IV

Advocate I

Altoona, Pennsylvania, USA
First Name
David
Last Name
Spencer
I have been pondering the argument here in this thread.

I have lived in Central PA for 43 years. When I was a child most all of the land around my hometown was a strip mine at sone point. My earliest recollections of the land use argument come from about 7 years old.

From 7 years old til I guess 22, I could get on a bike...then a four wheeler...then my RAMCHARGER and go just about anywhere I wanted through these strip mines.

It was about this time that the 10 year wait to develop a strip mine came into play. People started buying the land and posting it.

At 23 I remember a hunting friend of mine telling me about his Grandpa getting sued. A group of idiots...cut the gate to his land and proceeded to drive their 4 wheelers all over. Then one wrecked and broke an ankle. They sued the Grandpa and he didnt even get restitution for the gate.

Ok. Then the strip mine that is now Pennsylvania State Gamelands 60 happened. My cousin and I had a bunch of campsites on that land. We camped their our whole childhood. But now, it is a gameland...no camping. I took my son for a walk 2 years ago to one. Our frying pan was still there.

Fast forward to the last couple years. There have been a few ATV trails open. Because people asked for them.

They have been opening more roads for hunting season. Because people asked them.

The last 3 years I have completed the survey asking what I like to do outdoors.

They are opening more ATV trails. The state forests have opened more roads.

All this said to just ask people to follow the rules and pay attention to what the wildlife and forest organizations are asking to have a reply to.

At blue knob state park...they put in some MT. bike trails. They are for mt. Bikes...but the horse people think they should be allowed on it...but wont allow the mt. Bikes son their horse trail.

The biggest thing to understand is everyone needs their place.

For a while hunters where the only vocal group. Now the mt bikers are. And the ATV crowd has grown vocal.

Everyone is getting something. I think PA is doing a great job with the impossible task. Making everyone happy.

I follow Purple Lizard Maps. They are doing a great job showing me where i can drive my truck and dispersed camp.

Their last post about driving in the forest brought out some angry hikers wanting roads closed.

We have to be vigilant...follow the rules anf share the land.

Rant over. Hope it makes sense.

Reactions: Scout and Wildcard