HELP! Western US Roadtrip

• HTML tutorial

mfsiemens

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

Hello everyone,

First of all I'll let you know I'm very excited to have joined this community. Thanks to all of you in advance for helping me with what I'm about to ask.

I'm planning a great road trip of the western United States. I'll be leaving early in June for about 20 days, traveling South from Calgary Alberta, Canada, through Yellowstone to Denver, then head West to LA, then North through Portland and back into Vancouver, Canada. Loosely laid plans...

I'm starting this thread as a kind of live & interactive travel planner, and I'm hoping for the community's input and expertise to avoid the unexpected. I'm comfortable with camping, but I'm not at all familiar with overlanding in the USA.

MY RIG (This is the foundation of my overland rig):
- 2008 Toyota Tacoma, TRD Off-Road (96,000km, 5MT, tip-top shape),
- Toytec Boss Suspension System,
- 285/75R16 BFG KO2s,
- composite sleeping platform,
- Softopper on the way
- Wilco Solo Hitchgate soon to be added with full sized spare

MY TRIP:
- Head South from Calgary toward Yellowstone, hopefully boondock on the North side of the park
- Spend a day ripping around Yellowstone and boondock on the South side of the park
- Head South to Denver to meet up with some homies
- From Denver we'll head West to LA, some stops along the way:
- The Alpine Loop Scenic Byway (?)
- Arches National Park
- Lake Powel
- The Grand Canyon
- Havasu Falls
- Mojave Road (?)
- Joshua Tree Nat. (Before or After LA depending on Mojave Road)
- From LA I'll head North, and from here I haven't made many plans... I'll drive as close to the coast as possible, probably stop at Sequoia, SanFran, and some other spots along the way (looking for recommendations at the moment, maybe the Rubicon?)
- I'll go through Portland, Seattle, and end up back in Vancouver Canada, before driving back to Calgary

MY QUESTIONS:
1) Where's Public Land in the US? Are BLM maps my best resouces? How about National Parks?
2) Do I need a fire permit for each National Park I camp in? How about on Public Lands?
3) How remote is the Alpine Loop Scenic Byway? Can I do it in a day? Do I need a SAT phone? Can I do it alone?
4) How challenging is the Mojave Road? Can I just do a short section of it? Do I need a SAT phone? Can I do it alone?
5) I'll have a full sized spare, but not a HiLift Jack (I don't have any trail armor) I'm just planning on using my emergency jack, and some blocks of wood... thoughts? I've never swapped a tire on a trail.

Thanks again everyone for reading and considering. Looking forward to what everyone has to say, and please make suggestions on where else I should go, so long as it's not too far of the planned route. Mostly I'm hoping for suggestions on easy overland trails that end in beautiful spots to spend the night.

Best regards,
Mike

P.S.

Rig photos:
18090570_10155989460643219_1445601995_o.jpg 18053230_10155989461358219_2081888875_o.jpg

Attachments

Reactions: NW David

MarioDidIt

Rank III

Advocate II

Great trip planned!
Here are some suggestions..

1. Havasupai Point at the Grand Canyon (you overland/off road there, easy trail and you get to sleep on the edge of the grand canyon)
(Going to the falls is going to be at least 1 day, if you want to camp there, at least 2 days since its about 8 miles to the falls, hiking, or you can rent a Burro)

2. In CA, definitely check out Alabama Hills on the lower eastern Sierras. You can take 395 north from there than cut across to the i5 near Yosemite/Sequoia.

3. For Mojave/Death Valley there are a ton of things to check out but by June, youre looking at 100+ degree weather. At that temperature, I wouldnt visit that place even for a day trip. hah

4. Maybe check out Big Sur/ Santa Cruz if you head to the CA coast. Definitely check out the Redwoods up north if possible.

5. When you get to Oregon, Klamath Falls, and Toketee Falls.
Also check out Crater Lake, then head north to the Bend, OR area. Check out Smith Rock, then head towards the Portland area. Before getting to Portland, you go through the Mt. Hood area. Badger Lake trail! My favorite. (I used to live in Portland) also check out Abiqua Falls, then head to the coast and drive on the beach at Seaside, OR and have a bonfire.

Ill add more as I remember.
Will you be traveling through B.C. at all?

mfsiemens

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

Great trip planned!
Here are some suggestions...
Hey thanks for the great response! I'll definitely check those places out this weekend as part of my planning and get back to you.

I've spent a fair amount of time in B.C. so I'll probably crash with a friend in Vancouver and straightline it back to Calgary the next day, hahaha.

Reactions: MarioDidIt

MarioDidIt

Rank III

Advocate II

Hey thanks for the great response! I'll definitely check those places out this weekend as part of my planning and get back to you.

I've spent a fair amount of time in B.C. so I'll probably crash with a friend in Vancouver and straightline it back to Calgary the next day, hahaha.
I had the opportunity to a B.C. trip before moving down to California. Man, I think about that place everyday. haha

Did a 550+ mile overland route through B.C. and I dont know if ill ever see anything as nice in the states

vonfogel

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast II

Burbank, CA
First Name
Andrew
Last Name
Fogel
Member #

Seconding @MarioDidIt's recommendation to drive up from LA through the Eastern Sierras - Highway 395 is my absolute favorite road trip route, and there's a TON of stuff to see along the way. Alabama Hills is definitely a good one. I also recommend Red Rock Canyon State Park (esp. Last Chance Canyon trail), Fossil Falls, Volcanic Tableland, Ancient Bristlecone Pine Forest, and Bodie ghost town. Good food along the way, too, at Alabama Hills Cafe (Lone Pine), Copper Top BBQ (Big Pine), and Schat's Bakkery (Bishop).

Reactions: MarioDidIt

Anchor Mtn

US Rocky Mountain Region Member Rep
Launch Member

Influencer II

Fruita, Colorado
Member #

MY QUESTIONS:
1) Where's Public Land in the US? Are BLM maps my best resouces? How about National Parks?
2) Do I need a fire permit for each National Park I camp in? How about on Public Lands?
3) How remote is the Alpine Loop Scenic Byway? Can I do it in a day? Do I need a SAT phone? Can I do it alone?
4) How challenging is the Mojave Road? Can I just do a short section of it? Do I need a SAT phone? Can I do it alone?
5) I'll have a full sized spare, but not a HiLift Jack (I don't have any trail armor) I'm just planning on using my emergency jack, and some blocks of wood... thoughts? I've never swapped a tire on a trail.
The Alpine loop is about 60 miles and takes the better part of a day. There is no cell service over most of the route but I doubt you will be on the trail alone. Your rig will have no trouble completing the trails... if its open. We have had a LOT of snow this year and the trails might not be open in early June. I know they are working on digging the road out now but a lot depends on the weather in May at this point.

DaveD

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Sacramento, California. USA
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KG6GMX
Great trip planned!
Here are some suggestions..

1. Havasupai Point at the Grand Canyon (you overland/off road there, easy trail and you get to sleep on the edge of the grand canyon)
(Going to the falls is going to be at least 1 day, if you want to camp there, at least 2 days since its about 8 miles to the falls, hiking, or you can rent a Burro)

2. In CA, definitely check out Alabama Hills on the lower eastern Sierras. You can take 395 north from there than cut across to the i5 near Yosemite/Sequoia.

3. For Mojave/Death Valley there are a ton of things to check out but by June, youre looking at 100+ degree weather. At that temperature, I wouldnt visit that place even for a day trip. hah

4. Maybe check out Big Sur/ Santa Cruz if you head to the CA coast. Definitely check out the Redwoods up north if possible.

5. When you get to Oregon, Klamath Falls, and Toketee Falls.
Also check out Crater Lake, then head north to the Bend, OR area. Check out Smith Rock, then head towards the Portland area. Before getting to Portland, you go through the Mt. Hood area. Badger Lake trail! My favorite. (I used to live in Portland) also check out Abiqua Falls, then head to the coast and drive on the beach at Seaside, OR and have a bonfire.

Ill add more as I remember.
Will you be traveling through B.C. at all?
4. Sections of Highway 1 are still closed from south of Pfeiffer Big Sur State Park. Due to road damage from winter storms Check with Caltrans for latest road updates

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-T337A using OB Talk mobile app

Boort

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Colorado
Member #

Mike

BLM and Natl. forest lands are usually good for boondocking Call the local Field office for current road info and any restrictions. For Colorado I use this list http://csfs.colostate.edu/districts/ Here is a Nationwide list from the folks at ufwda.org I've used before https://www.ufwda.org/pdfs/USDAForestServiceRangerDistricts.pdf

National parks are all a little different they will generally provide a pamphlet with details and a park newspaper with any current restrictions when you pay the entry fee.
Public Lands even more so look for fire danger signs along the highways (often with a Campfire, Red firefighters helmet or Smoky the Bear imagery) for warnings. Fire restrictions on Public lands can also be imposed by the County, so again call the local NFS or BLM office for current restrictions.

Suggestions:
Pick up a 1 year all Natl. parks pass at the first park you hit. I think they will set you back $80 US

Spend some time in Waterton/Glacier NP if you've not already done so. Lots of beauty there.
Nice on-the-gird camp sites at both Flathead lake and Swan lake more remote sites nearby.

If you find that Alpine Loop Scenic Byway is still closed think about going through Rocky Mtn. NP over Trail Ridge Rd to Grand Lake. The road is usually opened by Memorial day weekend and they already got one lane open to bikes as of this week.

Another option that MIGHT be open is Haggermans pass. Easily doable in your truck (been over it many times in my 97 stock taco.) On the west side at that time of year there is a water crossing that may be too deep. Most of the year it's a little 3-5" deep cold trickle but it could be 2-3 feet deep and running hard this spring.

I'd second DavD's note to beware of closures on the 101 in CA. Got friends making that trip now and they've been hitting detour after detour between OR and CA the last 2 weeks. Note they are enjoying these detours and getting to see lots of tight curvy roads but they do add lots of time to the trek and have often not been well marked.

Boort

Reactions: NW David