Help me understand all the different farkles mounted to your dash.

• HTML tutorial

RockyMountaineer

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Laramie, WY, USA
First Name
Mathew
Last Name
Threadgill
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
N5MST
Necessity is the mother of all invention. When it comes to adding things to your vehicle form should always follow function. So what do you need? That is up to you. Navigation, GPS is great but one could do it with paper maps. Communication, you could go with nothing or you could run a multi-tiered system depending on your needs. A trailer brake, you might need one or not and it could be a factory in dash unit or an aftermarket one. Switches are required to run all your cool lights, winches, and lockers but then again some people just run a stock rig. My point is your don't need to add anything to your dash except for when you do.

RockyMountaineer

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Laramie, WY, USA
First Name
Mathew
Last Name
Threadgill
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
N5MST
You can see the sky for the most part but there are quite a few spots that GPS just doesn't or isn't reliable.
True but those trusty old compasses become less accurate the closer one gets to the poles too. I don't care hole old school the tech is they all have their weaknesses. So never rely entirely on one, even if it has been around for hundreds of years.

64Trvlr

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Northern AZ
First Name
Kevin
Last Name
Trvlr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KK7NAZ
Service Branch
MM1 US Navy
You can see the sky for the most part but there are quite a few spots that GPS just doesn't or isn't reliable.
True but those trusty old compasses become less accurate the closer one gets to the poles too. I don't care hole old school the tech is they all have their weaknesses. So never rely entirely on one, even if it has been around for hundreds of years.
LOL, the odds of a GPS not working for me is way higher than either of the poles messing up my compass while I'm driving my Willys.

Reactions: M Rose

RockyMountaineer

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Laramie, WY, USA
First Name
Mathew
Last Name
Threadgill
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
N5MST
LOL, the odds of a GPS not working for me is way higher than either of the poles messing up my compass while I'm driving my Willys.
As I said every form of tech has it's flaws. I'm not telling you what to trust or use. All I am saying don't put all your eggs in one basket.

64Trvlr

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Northern AZ
First Name
Kevin
Last Name
Trvlr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KK7NAZ
Service Branch
MM1 US Navy
As I said every form of tech has it's flaws. I'm not telling you what to trust or use. All I am saying don't put all your eggs in one basket.
I agree and I don't, I have a couple of compasses and at least 1 GPS with me when I go out.

Reactions: M Rose

RockyMountaineer

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Laramie, WY, USA
First Name
Mathew
Last Name
Threadgill
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
N5MST
I agree and I don't, I have a couple of compasses and at least 1 GPS with me when I go out.
Ok let me put it another way. How old are those maps? The poles aren't stationary, rather they move and they have been doing so faster in the last few years. Are those maps giving you the right declination? Just 10 years will change that.

Reactions: 64Trvlr

64Trvlr

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Northern AZ
First Name
Kevin
Last Name
Trvlr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KK7NAZ
Service Branch
MM1 US Navy
Ok let me put it another way. How old are those maps? The poles aren't stationary, rather they move and they have been doing so faster in the last few years. Are those maps giving you the right declination? Just 10 years will change that.
I replace them every 4-7 years as the new ones come out or they wear out from use.

Just noticed where you are, got wind Matt? ;)

Reactions: RockyMountaineer

Downs

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Hunt County Texas
First Name
Joshua
Last Name
Downs
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KK6RBI / WQYH678
Service Branch
USMC 03-16, FIRE/EMS
I'll have to get a current picture when I get out of here today.

Archtop67

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

West Palm Beach Florida
Member #

I'm just beginning my mods to my 2004 Land Rover Discovery 2. The first I did were to add "farkle" (never heard the term before, but it fits!) to the dash/console (other mods waiting on parts). Most of the farkle is not needed, but I like tech. So far, I customized the console to accept more equipment and added a pod on top for even more equipment. In the console, I installed a Pioneer Car Play system and President Lincoln II+ CB, while moving the climate control down to unused space. There's still space in the console so soon I can move things around more then add controllers for a dual battery system and power sockets for other equipment. In the pod, I added 4 extra gauges to augment the factory ones, a Yaesu FT-857 multi band all mode ham radio, and an 8 switch panel in which I will install switches for a winch, lockers front and back, lights, etc. As soon as my RAM Mounts get here, I'll put in an iPad mini to run weather apps, Gaia GPS and Waze (using Car Play only for non-nav stuff so I can see nav when other things are going on), and whatever else won't run on Car Play. The other Ram Mount will be for my iPhone, which I'll need to keep plugged in to run the Car Play and won't want bouncing all around. Up front, I'll mount a dash cam. I have a Uniden SDS100 scanner that I want to stick somewhere, and maybe if there's room left over somewhere else I'll stick in an SDR receiver run off a windows tablet. Last, I'll mount Element fire extinguishers on the pillars. For those worried, I won't be running everything while driving down the highway and promise to keep my eyes on the road. Some of the tech toys will be for whoever is my designated navigator/communicator in the shot gun seat. I have all the parts already except for the dual battery set up. Now I just have to figure out how to keep my wife from finding out what I'm doing. Hope she doesn't notice.View attachment 113685

View attachment 113685
now that is cool! my factory radio bit it and did i quick upgrade of stereo and added a magnetic mount for iphone ir ipad and not all the carplay stuff so i have full access to everything on my phone or ipad... anyway.. this is just cool! i may add a full double din setup like that and put my kenwood 701G where current radio is since seeing this! nice! any writeup on relocation a/c control? i need take better pic lol i screenshot a quick vid i made lol

Attachments

Tatankaroo

Rank II
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

Fredericksburg, VA, USA
First Name
Jessie
Last Name
Shanks
Member #

I also need a clutter free cockpit, but at the same time I need a functional cockpit.

Top center
- Dual battery control
- Dual battery voltage
- Homelink buttons
- Ram mount for mounting a smart phone (if necessary)
- Dual USB charge ports (phone/dash cam/Garmin glo/etc)

Center
- Atoto Android based radio. BCN Pro, APRS Droid, Repeater Book, Torque Pro, FM Radio, Google Maps, Music and a PDF of the FSM
- Kenwood TM 71A ham radio
- Ham radio mic mount
- Dual USB charge ports
- PL-259 antenna plug (hidden by shifter) for a Midland 75-822 CB radio if I am forced to use CB

Far left
- Auxiliary light switch

Far right
- Nite Ize Gear Tie... not sure, my wife left it there.

The windshield is terribly dirty in this pic, (hey, it was post trip) but I must say the PIAA Silicon wiper blades are phenomenal and totally worth the outrageous price they charge.

View attachment 129826
I agree about the PIAA wiper blades!!!

Reactions: KonzaLander