Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Lynden, WA, USA
First Name
Sean
Last Name
Moore
Member #

I have had this kit for years and use it often. Got it from an estate sale.

The dimensions are almost identical to the flimsy aluminum ones you see today. The skillet is carbon steel. The handle is mild steel. The pot, lid, plate, and cup are tin. I use the magnet to keep it from rattling when packed away and as a handle to use the plate as a lid for the skillet.

I haven't been able to find much about it and haven't seen another like it.20200110_211313.jpg20200110_211339.jpg20200110_211521.jpg20200110_211559.jpg20200110_211608.jpg20200110_211628.jpg

Munga Brown

US Northwest Region Member Rep Oregon
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Central OR Coast
First Name
Martin
Last Name
S.
Member #

That's cool... it reminds me of my old BS kit I had back in the '60s. Seems like you already know most of what there would be to know about it.

Road

Not into ranks, titles or points.
Launch Member

Advocate III

On the road in North America
First Name
Road
Last Name
Dude
Member #

I like the magnet idea.

You might find more info on one of these sale posts. You might have to look through forty, then will find one that will go into detail on history, dates, etc of the item they're selling or have one just like yours: BSA Mess Kits .

I do know, though don't quote me, that they started using a plastic cup in the sixties. So yours may be from the fifties or earlier unless someone substituted it later.

I have a great little carbon steel fry pan, only about 6", I got from the guy in Alaska who makes the Bushbuddy Stove (the original twig stove that spawned a ton of less well-built imitations), though they don't sell it anymore. Have some great carbon steel knives, too, from both Mora and Opinel.

Last edited:
Reactions: WAYAWAY

J.W.

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Cincinnati
First Name
J
Last Name
W
Member #

I have the same steel kit. It was my dad’s when he was in the scouts in the 40s. I even have the original cloth case.

C7654760-070B-49A0-9959-CB6DA4CAB2A7.jpeg

*not my pic, I didn’t want to dig my kit out of my pack so I found this one online

According to Dr. Google, they replaced the metal cup with a plastic one in the 1960s then everything went to stainless steel not long after. I use the stainless kit more than my dad’s old steel one because it is so much lighter. The newest BSA kit is actually very good but I don’t really like the mesh bag that comes with it.

Reactions: Seanm26 and WAYAWAY

M Rose

Local Expert
Mod Team

Advocate III

Northeast Oregon, United States
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Rose
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7FSB
Service Branch
US ARMY Retired
Wow, that video has some really good information, going by those adds, it would seam a early to mid 40’s BSA Mess kit might be worth some serious money to a collector.

M Rose

Local Expert
Mod Team

Advocate III

Northeast Oregon, United States
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Rose
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7FSB
Service Branch
US ARMY Retired
It's worth more to me as an useful kit! And it will last long enough to give to my son.
I wasn’t meaning to sell it, I meant knowing what we now know about your kit, it makes it a little more sought after because its made out of steel and iron