Hello from Oregon

• HTML tutorial

Mbert

Rank 0

Traveler I

Oregon
New guy here from Oregon, Portland metro area

Right now driving a 2005 Subaru Forester
Looking to get into overlanding as a way to get some adventure. Father of four kids all pretty young, would like to get them out with me. So we can experience the adventure together as a family. Thinking that means getting a full size. Any advice on a rig for a family of my size?

Reactions: Chadlyb and DanR

Jake Wettern | iamjake

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Wisconsin Rapids, WI
Member #

Looking to get into overlanding as a way to get some adventure. Father of four kids all pretty young, would like to get them out with me. So we can experience the adventure together as a family. Thinking that means getting a full size. Any advice on a rig for a family of my size?
Hi Mbert and welcome to OB! Nice rig! Safe travels and enjoy those open roads!

DanR

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer II

Silverdale, WA, USA
First Name
Daniel
Last Name
Reed
Member #

Hello, and welcome from Albuquerque! Overlanding is great fun for the family. If you are looking for a bigger rig, you can spring for a 3-row vehicle like a Land Cruiser or Land Rover, or you can do two smaller vehicles and have a two-car team on your outings!

As Michael says, "It doesn't matter what you drive," so long as your vehicle is properly equipped to safely travel where you go, you're good. He did a walk-around on a member's Forester a while back; they're quite capable!
My best vehicle advice is to research and plan the costs to purchase, outfit, run, and maintain each vehicle. Don't be afraid to ask members about their own rigs! We are here to help each other!

Mbert

Rank 0

Traveler I

Oregon
Thank you for the link to the video, my kids and I watched it after dinner tonight. I will start doing my research and go from there, thanks for the advice.

Reactions: DanR

NightCrawler

Rank VI
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Moreno Valley, Ca
First Name
Steven
Last Name
DeLong
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7DTH

Hello Mbert from Southern California and welcome to OB!!! I think you are on the right track...getting the family out of the house to explore the world around them is far better than doing it from the comforts of any living room...plus the memories will last a life time.

Chadlyb

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate III

Bend, OR, USA
Member #

Hello northwest neighbor and welcome to the OB crew