Walla walla wa
First Name
Butch
Last Name
Drake
Member #

Service Branch
Navy
I hope this is the right thread… I run w the top off or windows down a good part of the year. But I also have hearing issues so I’m wondering if anyone has a midland GMRS setup that they use headset with either voice activated mic or a push to talk button that would allow the wife and I to converse AND monitor the midland 275?

Reactions: OTH Overland

OTH Overland

Local Expert Washington, USA
Investor

Trail Blazer III

Camano Island, WA, USA
First Name
Dave
Last Name
Ballard
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
N7XQP
Service Branch
Fire/EMS/SAR
I hope this is the right thread… I run w the top off or windows down a good part of the year. But I also have hearing issues so I’m wondering if anyone has a midland GMRS setup that they use headset with either voice activated mic or a push to talk button that would allow the wife and I to converse AND monitor the midland 275?
I have not used headsets from Midland, nor for overlanding, but something I am considering as the Jeep can be pretty noisy top on or off. I have used headsets a lot with motorcycles and in fire engines, both with radio and intercom abilities. I far prefer using push to talk for the radio portion and VOX for the intercom, not good to have somethings transmitted over the air by accident that were meant to stay in the cab, either not for public language or screams of fear from your passenger lol.

• Haha
Reactions: Sparksalot

GFB_Steve

Rank III

Off-Road Ranger I

CA
First Name
Steve
Last Name
gfb
Ham/GMRS Callsign
KM6WJH
Any of our (Rugged Radios) intercoms can be interfaced with just about any radio, including Midland. Talking inside the vehicle is automated and transmitting over the radio is done by pressing a Push To Talk button. Communications in high-noise environments is our specialty and I can tell you with confidence, it makes all the difference in the world, especially on long trips. If you have any questions, give me a call at the office. 805-541-1696

Reactions: OTH Overland

Alanymarce

Rank IV

Trail Mechanic III

Colombia
Probably not a popular comment, however it's far more important to hear what's happening outside the vehicle than inside - horns, sirens, tyres screeching, pedestrian warnings, engine noises, etc. In some parts of the world driving with headphones on is illegal for this reason.

Reactions: Sparksalot

GFB_Steve

Rank III

Off-Road Ranger I

CA
First Name
Steve
Last Name
gfb
Ham/GMRS Callsign
KM6WJH
Probably not a popular comment, however it's far more important to hear what's happening outside the vehicle than inside - horns, sirens, tyres screeching, pedestrian warnings, engine noises, etc. In some parts of the world driving with headphones on is illegal for this reason.
Well, I wouldn't say it's an unpopular opinion, but maybe a little misinformed. Coming from someone that has a lot of experience wearing a helmet, or headset, or ear plugs, etc., in all sorts of vehicles... I get what you're saying. But I think what people don't realize is that a headset does not block ALL noises. You're still hearing everything, it's only at a lower (not hearing-damaging) level. And, often times, the noises things (bearings, suspension components, tyres, etc.) make when they're failing, well, those are virtually always at frequencies that can be heard through almost any hearing protection device. Often times, you're actually more in tune with these noises when using hearing protection because you're not distracted by all the other superfluous noises that are just annoying and not useful to a driver. Anyway, I'm happy to expand on that, but at the end of the day, I'm all about whatever floats your boat or gets you into the dirt!

WTSMatt

Rank V

Advocate I

Monterey, CA, USA
First Name
Matt
Last Name
Stoddard
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6TZY
Service Branch
Fire
I wear a headset in my work vehicle and can hear sirens pretty well. I find that wearing them in hot weather with no AC, I assume with top down there won’t be AC on, they get uncomfortable after a bit. Also, if they don’t fit your head well like some cheaper one’s available they are very uncomfortable. Just my 2 cents.

GFB_Steve

Rank III

Off-Road Ranger I

CA
First Name
Steve
Last Name
gfb
Ham/GMRS Callsign
KM6WJH
I like cloth ear seal covers for the heat. They don't stop the heat but help some of the stickiness. If you want to try some, let me know and I'll send you a pair.