Heading West

• HTML tutorial

monjorrow

Rank IV

Enthusiast III

US
Figured I would start somewhat of a log of our upcoming trip. Leaving Friday (12/21) for a 17 day road trip/adventure out west starting in TN. We will be mainly staying in our '18 Silverado with camper top and sleeping setup, with a few hotel stays mixed in as well. Our two dogs Frank and Clover will be riding along as well as we hike, mountain bike, fly fish and explore. States we plan to spend the most time in are AZ, NM, UT & CO.

Reactions: JCWages and BWSmith

monjorrow

Rank IV

Enthusiast III

US
Well I was planning on getting some pictures of our setup and packing strategy, but it was pisspouring rain while we were packing this morning so I'll have to get some pics from the road. T minus 16 hours till we hit the road.

Graeman

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Catalina Avenue, Tucson, AZ, USA
First Name
Todd
Last Name
Hoffmaster
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7CRJ
Service Branch
Air Force
Can't wait to see your adventure unfold here on OB. What parts of AZ are you planning on hitting and about what days?

monjorrow

Rank IV

Enthusiast III

US
Can't wait to see your adventure unfold here on OB. What parts of AZ are you planning on hitting and about what days?
The plan is to go straight into Sedona and hang out there a few days, then maybe a day checking out Flagstaff.

monjorrow

Rank IV

Enthusiast III

US
I did manage to snap a picture of our pantry. Set up behind the driver seat, enough food and snacks for a couple weeks on the road.

Pike

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate III

Weatherford, Texas
Member #

Hey there! We're in Fort Worth, TX. As it turns out, we may be headed same direction...eventually headed to CA (Sequoia area)....but considering the Mojave Road as well. PM me if you think you'd like to ride out together a ways! Will be starting out Wed, the 26th...probably camping around the Guadalupe Mountains outside El Paso...but very open ended.

Reactions: JCWages

monjorrow

Rank IV

Enthusiast III

US
Hey there! We're in Fort Worth, TX. As it turns out, we may be headed same direction...eventually headed to CA (Sequoia area)....but considering the Mojave Road as well. PM me if you think you'd like to ride out together a ways! Will be starting out Wed, the 26th...probably camping around the Guadalupe Mountains outside El Paso...but very open ended.
We'll be in Amarillo tonight, then are heading to Sedona for a few days. After that we're going to make our way north and east ending in Albuquerque on the 4th.

monjorrow

Rank IV

Enthusiast III

US
Sorry guys, I kinda completely forgot I started this thread. The trip was a blast and we can't wait to take another! I'll start sharing pics of the trip and try to do a little write up as I have time.

Reactions: brien

monjorrow

Rank IV

Enthusiast III

US
First day was 14 hours into Amarillo. Got a steak dinner and crashed in the hotel for the night. Then woke up early and headed towards petrified forest, which was closed because of the stupid government shut down. :rage::rage::rage:. Got into Sedona that evening and explored the town before going to find our first back country camp sight.

View the first night camping

Woke up early, made some coffee and started planning which trails we wanted to ride and hike.

Some jackass came in in the middle of the night and parked right on top of us, but we were friendly and made the best of it.

Last edited:

monjorrow

Rank IV

Enthusiast III

US
Rode some awesome mountain bike trails, I believe this was the highlight of the trip for me.

monjorrow

Rank IV

Enthusiast III

US
The third day in Sedona was our biggest "Overlanding" day for sure. We ( and by we I mean me) decided to take the Silverado up to White House Mountain and camp at the top for our final night in AZ. The trail was great, and the truck did much better than I expected. I rubbed and scraped in some places, lost a rear mud flap but thats all for damage. I was definitely glad to have the factory rear locker in some places.