Contributor III

Petaluma, CA, USA
First Name
Dan
Last Name
Rotwein
Member #

Hey there,

Looking for input on the best hardhsell roof top tent from members experiences. The tent will be going on a 4Dr bronco and will need to sleep 2 people at the most, typically just 1. What’s important to me is it’s relatively lightweight, its small and compact when in its stowed position, it maintains some load rating for mounting items on top and that I can mount items like an awning and shower on the sides.

The ones I’ve looked into are:
Go Fast Campers
AreaBFE
Alucab
FSR Tents
iKamper

Thank you!

trail_runn4r

US Rocky Mtn. Local Expert. Colorado: Denver Area

Pathfinder III

Denver, CO, USA
First Name
Carlo
Last Name
Donzelli
Member #

Hey there,

Looking for input on the best hardhsell roof top tent from members experiences. The tent will be going on a 4Dr bronco and will need to sleep 2 people at the most, typically just 1. What’s important to me is it’s relatively lightweight, its small and compact when in its stowed position, it maintains some load rating for mounting items on top and that I can mount items like an awning and shower on the sides.

The ones I’ve looked into are:
Go Fast Campers
AreaBFE
Alucab
FSR Tents
iKamper

Thank you!
Roofnest, CVT, TuffStuff Overland, Ironman 4x4, OVS

bhayes423

Rank II

Enthusiast III

Knoxville
First Name
Blake
Last Name
Hayes
The Alu Cab is not lightweight and not something you take on and off.. but it’s been the best for us by far after 3 previous RTTs. It has Anderson plug connector on the outside to power the light and USB outlets. You have a ton of options with mounting everything from kayaks to solar on the top.

We've got their Shadow Awning mounted to the side and just like their RTT the quality is too notch. Huge shaded area and not having to use the legs makes for super quick setup / tear down.

We really enjoyed our iKamper but the Alu Cab is best out there IMO.

walkabout_ca

Rank IV

Off-Road Ranger I

Bay Area, California, USA
First Name
Gwendolyn
Last Name
vdL
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6YFJ
We're quite happy with our GFC RTT (v2) on our 4Runner. It's sturdy, fairly light, and has really nice slim mounts for the 4Runner (no roof rack needed). Downside is that it's a pretty tight space. We're both 6' 1" and we fit okay, but you need a (not included) DIY net of some sort to put your clothes. Also, I don't think the insect mesh is fine enough for no-see-ums, and the doors don't zipper at the bottom. Gail winds and rain might be a problem...

We put thin air mattresses on top of the provided mattress, to make it a bit more comfy. With those and our sleeping bags it still closes up, but that's about the limit.

Last edited: