Rank V

Influencer II

Lubbock, TX, USA
First Name
Bryan
Last Name
Hildebrand
Member #

Looking for rig to rig handheld comms for a group of 4 rigs going to Ouray/Silverton/Evans/RMNP. Most of the time we will be together, but may be away from one another for photo ops, spotting, etc. Not sure where to start.

Prerunner1982

Local Expert, Oklahoma USA
Launch Member

Member III

Navina, Oklahoma
First Name
Jon
Last Name
B
Member #

As far a license free radio services FRS and MURS are your two options.
FRS radios can be purchased at almost any sporting goods stores typically in packs of two.
MURS radios can be most easily found online such as those from B-Tech ()

Reactions: RoarinRow

USStrongman

Rank V

Influencer II

Lubbock, TX, USA
First Name
Bryan
Last Name
Hildebrand
Member #

I am as versed with comms as you might be with suture applications! I don't know squat! Dont plan on using the radios often, just to be able to talk about where and when to stop, issues, etc. Assuming simple short distance radios wont work in the mountains? Was looking at something like this:

Prerunner1982

Launch Member

Member III

Navina, Oklahoma
First Name
Jon
Last Name
B
Member #

I am as versed with comms as you might be with suture applications! I don't know squat! Dont plan on using the radios often, just to be able to talk about where and when to stop, issues, etc. Assuming simple short distance radios wont work in the mountains? Was looking at something like this:

Those would work but are GMRS radios which is a licensed radio service. The license is $70, no test, good for 10 yrs, and covers your immediate family. Every non-family member of your group would need to have their own license.
Midland also sells FRS radios. X-Talker | Midland Radio ("License Free FRS Radio" noted in the descriptions)

Also if you purchase directly from their website use the promocode OverlandUSA and get 20% off.

Reactions: TerryD

USStrongman

Rank V

Influencer II

Lubbock, TX, USA
First Name
Bryan
Last Name
Hildebrand
Member #

Thanks for the discount code. Exactly what I was looking for. When I get ready for my Alaska trip, then it will be a licensed learning curve. Thanks again.

Prerunner1982

Launch Member

Member III

Navina, Oklahoma
First Name
Jon
Last Name
B
Member #

Thanks for the discount code. Exactly what I was looking for. When I get ready for my Alaska trip, then it will be a licensed learning curve. Thanks again.
License for GMRS?
GMRS in Canada is limited to handhelds with up to 2 watts ... sounds like our FRS so you might not want to use any mobile GMRS radios in Canada though I won't speculate on the likelihood of you even being caught.

Reactions: M Rose

AA1PR

Rank III

Enthusiast III

Vermont Mountains
First Name
Mike
Last Name
Parie
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
AA1PR
for a radio that can do almost everything and allows you to obtain your ham radio license I say the anytone 878

building a codeplug is the worst part, once you learn that its a breeze

I have mine with dmr, analog fm, and alomst every public service I want to listen to as well as GMRS/frs too for receive purposes

its part 90 accepted for gmrs/business purposes if you never get your ham ticket too

Reactions: NØMAD

Alanymarce

Rank IV

Trail Mechanic III

Colombia
We use UHF radios of 2W (I think - haven't gone to look) - they give us more than enough range for convoy chat. We use a separate UHF radio with an external antenna for safety comms (contacting other travellers in the area).

Reactions: AA1PR