Gullwing doors

• HTML tutorial

Jropelato1

Rank I
Launch Member

Contributor II

Going back and forth on gullwing doors for rear side windows on 5th gen 4Runner. Cost is high, but I think I can justify that in my head for easy access to crucial things and not having to open rear swing out and door or rear window. Things like first aid kit, fire extinguisher, air hoses etc. My concerns are: 1. Will it leak? 2. Will the holes in the thin, soft metal hold up over time and repeated use?
Anyone have these or have thoughts? Looking at the ones from Velox. 5th Generation 4 Runner Passenger's Side Rear Window Gullwing

oldmopars

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Selah Wa
First Name
Scott
Last Name
Solomon
Member #

While I think they will be water resistant and not leak under most circumstances, I would not put money on them never leaking. Once you remove the factory glass, nothing is going to be as water tight as a replacement factory glass.
Now, if you live in the southwest and park in a garage this may never be an issue.
As far as the way it mounts, I don't see any issues there. I assume there is some kind of double sided tape that acts as a seal and would also add support.

Reactions: Advtres

smritte

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Ontario California
First Name
Scott
Last Name
SMR
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KO6BI
Those are moderately popular with the FJ80 crowd. Here's a DIY. Its for an 80 but you get the idea. Gull wing windows. You may even find a DIY for yours out there. The hard part is the hinges, the rest you could draw up and have a company cut the pieces out for you. Probably $50 plus the aluminum to cut it.

The ones I've seen for sale run about that price range and up. Looking at the one you linked, the weatherstriping apears to be genaric from an industrial part supplier, hinge I couldn't tell. That means if the company goes out of business you should be able to piece parts for it. If the door is set properly that design shouldn't leak. I would have prefered a channel to push water away or at least something up top to do the same. That's something you could actually make by gluing another rubber strip just under the top if needed. Either way, that design looks to hold up unless you power wash it right at the door.

Most of these companies sprung up in the last few years filling a niche market. I know for my 80, there's only one out of four that still makes/supports the gull wings. It would be nice if worse case you could put it back if something broke and the company is gone.

One thing I have seen mentioned on your body style is the actual size of the opening. The glass is considerably larger than the hole. On one of my forums, a vender was gauging interest in your body style. The opening size and was a concern for reaching into a cooler. In your link it looks like the company installed a cabinet behind the door. While that would change things, you now lost inside room.

Over all, I keep thinking I may put them on my 80 but can't seem to justify it.

trail_runn4r

US Rocky Mtn. Local Expert. Colorado: Denver Area

Pathfinder III

Denver, CO, USA
First Name
Carlo
Last Name
Donzelli
Member #

Going back and forth on gullwing doors for rear side windows on 5th gen 4Runner. Cost is high, but I think I can justify that in my head for easy access to crucial things and not having to open rear swing out and door or rear window. Things like first aid kit, fire extinguisher, air hoses etc. My concerns are: 1. Will it leak? 2. Will the holes in the thin, soft metal hold up over time and repeated use?
Anyone have these or have thoughts? Looking at the ones from Velox. 5th Generation 4 Runner Passenger's Side Rear Window Gullwing
Have you considered side rack panels with a pelican case style box bolted to it? Cheaper and you can remove it easily if you don't need it.

Jropelato1

Rank I
Launch Member

Contributor II

Those are moderately popular with the FJ80 crowd. Here's a DIY. Its for an 80 but you get the idea. Gull wing windows. You may even find a DIY for yours out there. The hard part is the hinges, the rest you could draw up and have a company cut the pieces out for you. Probably $50 plus the aluminum to cut it.

The ones I've seen for sale run about that price range and up. Looking at the one you linked, the weatherstriping apears to be genaric from an industrial part supplier, hinge I couldn't tell. That means if the company goes out of business you should be able to piece parts for it. If the door is set properly that design shouldn't leak. I would have prefered a channel to push water away or at least something up top to do the same. That's something you could actually make by gluing another rubber strip just under the top if needed. Either way, that design looks to hold up unless you power wash it right at the door.

Most of these companies sprung up in the last few years filling a niche market. I know for my 80, there's only one out of four that still makes/supports the gull wings. It would be nice if worse case you could put it back if something broke and the company is gone.

One thing I have seen mentioned on your body style is the actual size of the opening. The glass is considerably larger than the hole. On one of my forums, a vender was gauging interest in your body style. The opening size and was a concern for reaching into a cooler. In your link it looks like the company installed a cabinet behind the door. While that would change things, you now lost inside room.

Over all, I keep thinking I may put them on my 80 but can't seem to justify it.
Thanks for your thoughtful and thorough answer. I'm in just about that same place.

Last edited:

Rubicajon

Rank VI
Launch Member

Creator III

Panama City Beach, FL, USA
First Name
RUBI
Last Name
CAJON
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KG5VLS
Service Branch
Seabee’s
Study what is available and gain the skills to fabricate what you want. In the end you usually spend about the same I find but the satisfaction you get when your asked where did you get those and you can say I built them, that the best.

Building a set now for my 2dr jk.

Lief_WJ

Rank III

Enthusiast III

Independence, MO, USA
First Name
Lief
Last Name
Humphreys
Service Branch
US Navy
I have a Jeep WJ and was thinking of doing this DIY... like you I'm not sure.

MOAK

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Wernersville Public Library, North Reber Street, Wernersville, PA, USA
First Name
Donald
Last Name
Diehl
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRPN 506
I've considered one, but it was a passing consideration. My stock rear windows slide nicely to access a couple of things I keep near them. I read that you are considering keeping a fire extinguisher back there. I would suggest keeping your extinguisher very close by. Wits End makes a carrier that keeps the extinguisher very close to you. I keep one at my feet and another in our trailer on the rear kitchen deck. IMG_0895.jpg

Reactions: Sparksalot

Old Tanker

Rank V
Launch Member

Steward I

Norfolk, VA, USA
First Name
Keith
Last Name
Reimer
Member #

Service Branch
USMC
The rear windows on the 5th Gen 4Runner are small, with a large piece of glass that makes them appear larger than they are. This makes a 4Runner gullwing less effective than other models.

Looking at the design, I wonder whether the locks are waterproof and dependable in a wet/freezing climate.

Nevertheless, I'm tempted to install the doors. They would make better use of the space blocked off by the interior Molle panels.

samba

Rank V
Investor

Member I

Los Angeles, CA, USA
First Name
Swamy
Last Name
Bachu
Member #

Study what is available and gain the skills to fabricate what you want. In the end you usually spend about the same I find but the satisfaction you get when your asked where did you get those and you can say I built them, that the best.

Building a set now for my 2dr jk.
How is the full wing door build coming along on the 2dr.

Reactions: Jropelato1

Rubicajon

Rank VI
Launch Member

Creator III

Panama City Beach, FL, USA
First Name
RUBI
Last Name
CAJON
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KG5VLS
Service Branch
Seabee’s
I have the templets made, hinges and latches are on order. Problem is I'm having trouble finding a metal shop to cut the panels. I have them dawn out in a .dxf file that can be cnc or plasma cut. So I will probably hand cut them out 3/16 aluminum.

Still deciding on gasket material and size to get it to seal tightly.

Looking to to have them mocked up in the next couple weeks. I will probably start a thread for the 2dr jk's and post all photos we are taking of progress.

Message me for updates.

Reactions: samba

samba

Rank V
Investor

Member I

Los Angeles, CA, USA
First Name
Swamy
Last Name
Bachu
Member #

I have the templets made, hinges and latches are on order. Problem is I'm having trouble finding a metal shop to cut the panels. I have them dawn out in a .dxf file that can be cnc or plasma cut. So I will probably hand cut them out 3/16 aluminum.

Still deciding on gasket material and size to get it to seal tightly.

Looking to to have them mocked up in the next couple weeks. I will probably start a thread for the 2dr jk's and post all photos we are taking of progress.

Message me for updates.
That's really cool . I will look out for your updates. I saw the Go4x4 YouTube channel and he has the gull wing doors on his rig. Really love the design.