Launch Member

Contributor II

Lynnwood, WA, USA
First Name
Joe
Last Name
Ulman
Member #

Wife and I are shopping for a larger camp rig, we just got a dog and will be having a kid within the next two years. She has put her foot down on 4 doors so that means JKU or Series 80 LC. Anyone know of a good shop for LCs in the area. I'm considering buying a high mileage LC and having the motor rebuilt. I'm in Lynnwood so closer the better but willing to travel for a good shop.

Doggo pic so I don't get asked later.
20190813_184301.jpg

Reactions: Gabriel Bozeman

alexdnick

Rank IV

Enthusiast III

Washington, USA
First Name
A
Last Name
N
I don’t have a recommendation for shop but I do have an idea for a rig that I wish I went with over my JKU.

Down in Oregon there is a guy that builds kits for turbo diesel converted Land Rovers in case you like those but want a better more reliable engine than what they offer in NA. Plus the earlier models have great lockers and lots of room/light.

He has packages where he can source the vehicle for you and do everything, or you can bring it to him.

This is one he has for sale he did a build on. Really just ready to go right now, and he knows which shops to take it to in Seattle for work.

Last edited:

Gabriel Bozeman

Rank V
Launch Member

Traveler II

Oak Harbor, WA, USA
First Name
Gabriel
Last Name
Bozeman
Member #

Wife and I are shopping for a larger camp rig, we just got a dog and will be having a kid within the next two years. She has put her foot down on 4 doors so that means JKU or Series 80 LC. Anyone know of a good shop for LCs in the area. I'm considering buying a high mileage LC and having the motor rebuilt. I'm in Lynnwood so closer the better but willing to travel for a good shop.

Doggo pic so I don't get asked later.
View attachment 113114
What about Land Rovers? Maybe a Disco or a LR3?

Reactions: alexdnick

CascadeTraveler

Rank I
Launch Member

Contributor II

Lynnwood, WA, USA
First Name
Joe
Last Name
Ulman
Member #

What about Land Rovers? Maybe a Disco or a LR3?
I would consider for a diesel swapped Rover but other than that I don't want the unreliability. Too used to owning jeeps that I can fix with a toolbox and $100 in parts at any parts house.

I don’t have a recommendation for shop but I do have an idea for a rig that I wish I went with over my JKU.

Down in Oregon there is a guy that builds kits for turbo diesel converted Land Rovers in case you like those but want a better more reliable engine than what they offer in NA. Plus the earlier models have great lockers and lots of room/light.

He has packages where he can source the vehicle for you and do everything, or you can bring it to him.

This is one he has for sale he did a build on. Really just ready to go right now, and he knows which shops to take it to in Seattle for work.

interesting option, I don't know how financing would work with one of those. I purchased a house last year so I don't have $25K+ in cash to drop.

Torfab - Everett, WA
Thanks for recommendation

Reactions: Gabriel Bozeman

NickS

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Lakewood, WA
Member #

X2 for Torfab.

I am in Lakewood and drive up there to have them do anything I’m not willing to do.

Well worth your time/money for anything Toyota Land Cruiser.

CascadeTraveler

Rank I
Launch Member

Contributor II

Lynnwood, WA, USA
First Name
Joe
Last Name
Ulman
Member #

Thanks for all the help, the cheap LCs dried up pretty quick so we test drove some JKUs and the Wife didn't like them. Opened the door back up on an LJ. Picking up a 2005 6-speed LJ this afternoon.