Pueblo West, CO
First Name
Neal
Last Name
Tew
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
N1TEW
From what I can tell there's only been a couple inches of snow on each side of the mountain and it's melting fast or is forecast to. It's supposed to be sunny from mid-day today through the weekend.

Our worst forecast is at the pass (which is only 9900') which is a high of 43 on Saturday with some 20 mph winds. The forecast for both camping areas is about 10 warmer. We're looking at highs in the 50s and lows in the 20s. Most of the trail is protected by trees and adjacent mountains.

From what I can tell right now it will be sunny and cool during the day and a few degrees below freezing at night. I talked to the Dune visitor center and the lady there felt like Medano would be in good shape by Saturday.

As for me, I'm still game as long as some others are. I don't think the trail is going to be in bad shape. We can always have @JCarter run lead and let us know how it looks. If there were some surprises we could always turn back if necessary. Will it be a cold night without a campfire? Yes. Will we be fighting snow on the trail? I don't think so.

@Cgtowns01 and @chucktowns, we'll sure miss you guys. Consider just packing an extra layer and a tent heater and come on. :D

Read and watch the video for more info if you haven't already:

Last edited:

Neal A. Tew

US Rocky Mountain Local Expert
Mod Team

Member III

Pueblo West, CO
First Name
Neal
Last Name
Tew
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
N1TEW
Here's another option:

We could start on the far end at the Dunes. In that way if for whatever reason we didn't want to do Medano we wouldn't miss seeing the Dunes.

For example, Friday night camp is somewhere around the Dunes (TBD - I have ideas). We'll have a meeting place for those coming Sat and we'll spend the bulk of the day in the park. Saturday afternoon we'll head up Medano Pass traveling as far as we desire and pitch camp. Sunday AM we'll continue on out that way. In this way the worst section (that's not even that bad) has several more hours or even a whole day to melt. If for whatever reason we don't want to continue, we can return back to the Park.

Feedback everyone! Please chime in!

@Cgtowns01 and @chucktowns, would this help you guys any?

Last edited:

JCarter

Rank V
Investor

Member III

Firestone, Weld County, Colorado, United States
First Name
John
Last Name
Carter
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KE0LRZ
Here's another option:

We could start on the far end at the Dunes. In that way if for whatever reason we didn't want to do Medano we wouldn't miss seeing the Dunes.

For example, Friday night camp is somewhere around the Dunes (TBD - I have ideas). We'll have a meeting place for those coming Sat and we'll spend the bulk of the day in the park. Saturday afternoon we'll head up Medano Pass traveling as far as we desire and pitch camp. Sunday AM we'll continue on out that way. In this way the worst section (that's not even that bad) has several more hours or even a whole day to melt. If for whatever reason we don't want to continue, we can return back to the Park.

@Neal A. Tew I am jonesing to get out and explore and have an adventure, if not with the group this weekend I will be blazing my own path. By chance, did you ask the visitor center if there was snow on the ground is the fire band lifted in the immediate area?

I don't mind leading as long as the vehicle following has the ability to pull me back, and there is no ice. Ice is where I draw the line without tire chains.

Adventure is necessary, about the journey, not the destination, and if you get to share it with quality folks the experience is even better.

chucktowns

Rank I
Launch Member

Contributor I

New Mexico, USA
First Name
Chuck
Last Name
Townsend
Member #

Here\'s another option:

We could start on the far end at the Dunes. In that way if for whatever reason we didn\'t want to do Medano we wouldn\'t miss seeing the Dunes.

For example, Friday night camp is somewhere around the Dunes (TBD - I have ideas). We\'ll have a meeting place for those coming Sat and we\'ll spend the bulk of the day in the park. Saturday afternoon we\'ll head up Medano Pass traveling as far as we desire and pitch camp. Sunday AM we\'ll continue on out that way. In this way the worst section (that\'s not even that bad) has several more hours or even a whole day to melt. If for whatever reason we don\'t want to continue, we can return back to the Park.

I appreciate the change offered, but still won't be able to make it this time. Doggone real world is getting in the way of my playtime!
:-)

Neal A. Tew

US Rocky Mountain Local Expert
Mod Team

Member III

Pueblo West, CO
First Name
Neal
Last Name
Tew
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
N1TEW
Guys,

Out of the seven RSVPs we've got only 2 possibly still interested besides myself.

While I was sitting here stressing over the concerns previously discussed ( and others), I got a calendar reminder for the memorial for a friend's deceased wife. She passed away several weeks ago and the delayed memorial got scheduled on this weekend about the time I was putting this trip together. I had all but forgotten it because I previously dismissed it due to this conflict.

Combining all the above reasons, I'm just going to cancel this dune trip so we're not sitting in the freezing mountains without a campfire and so that I can make the memorial after all. It should also make some brownie points with the wife who hasn't been feeling well lately.

I especially want to thank John & Jeff/Lisa for hanging in there and apologize to you for bailing at the last minute.

Everyone, think of places that you'd like to go that are still accessible and while watching the weather let's try to get something in before winter gets here. Share what time frames are good for you and we might do something short notice.

-neal

trail_runn4r

US Rocky Mtn. Local Expert. Colorado: Denver Area

Pathfinder III

Denver, CO, USA
First Name
Carlo
Last Name
Donzelli
Member #

Guys,

Out of the seven RSVPs we've got only 2 possibly still interested besides myself.

While I was sitting here stressing over the concerns previously discussed ( and others), I got a calendar reminder for the memorial for a friend's deceased wife. She passed away several weeks ago and the delayed memorial got scheduled on this weekend about the time I was putting this trip together. I had all but forgotten it because I previously dismissed it due to this conflict.

Combining all the above reasons, I'm just going to cancel this dune trip so we're not sitting in the freezing mountains without a campfire and so that I can make the memorial after all. It should also make some brownie points with the wife who hasn't been feeling well lately.

I especially want to thank John & Jeff/Lisa for hanging in there and apologize to you for bailing at the last minute.

Everyone, think of places that you'd like to go that are still accessible and while watching the weather let's try to get something in before winter gets here. Share what time frames are good for you and we might do something short notice.

-neal
Sorry to hear that.

I personally have time Saturday morning until mid afternoon if anyone wants to run some trail. The weather should be good!

JCarter

Rank V
Investor

Member III

First Name
John
Last Name
Carter
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KE0LRZ
Guys,

-neal
@Neal A. Tew My condolences about your friend.

Reactions: Neal A. Tew

JCarter

Rank V
Investor

Member III

First Name
John
Last Name
Carter
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KE0LRZ
Sorry to hear that.

I personally have time Saturday morning until mid afternoon if anyone wants to run some trail. The weather should be good!
@carlodonz I am still going down to the Great Sand Dunes tonight and attempting the pass in the morning, but if you are free another weekend let me know and I will go with you.

JCarter

Rank V
Investor

Member III

First Name
John
Last Name
Carter
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KE0LRZ
Sounds good! Have fun and let us know how it goes.
@carlodonz I have survived!

@Neal A. Tew The campsite was big and luckily empty. As you can see from the snowless spots, the last campers were there after the snow fell. I camped at the drop pin you had originally suggested the first night and then went west to the park over the pass. I then camped just outside of the park the second night and drove east over the pass on my way out. My biggest hiccup was blindly following Google Maps to the original drop point, it does not lead you to the correct turn off for the forrest rd, but trys to take you through a ranchers property, this lead to some major confusion and required me to drive back from wich the way I came to get cell/data service and to reread the trails off-raod write up to finally get the correct turn off point and to camp at 22:30.

With the conditions on the pass, this would not have been a good trip for an inexperienced Overlander. Night temps were in the mid-'30s.

IMG_7311.JPG

However, not being on anybody's time table allowed me to take the exorbitant amount of time I needed to force my fat body (and it was a struggle) to the top of one of the taller dunes to get to see what I could see.
IMG_7370.JPG
(Pictures will never give that view justice)

trail_runn4r

US Rocky Mtn. Local Expert. Colorado: Denver Area

Pathfinder III

Denver, CO, USA
First Name
Carlo
Last Name
Donzelli
Member #

Wow those dunes are stunning! So there is a trail that goes through that?

JCarter

Rank V
Investor

Member III

First Name
John
Last Name
Carter
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KE0LRZ
Wow those dunes are stunning! So there is a trail that goes through that?
No, you can not take any motorized vehicle into the dunes. You are allowed to hike and camp (with a permit and you have to be a certain amount of distance into the dunes); some areas you are allowed to ride horses.
GSD.jpg

Here is a better picture from the top of the dune: Google Maps

I recommend (at least once) hiking into the dunes, and do it barefoot ( the different elevations provide different coarseness, different angles to the sun provide wild temperature swings, but there is a magic zone that has the most enjoyable feeling on your feet).

It is a spectacular place, that you would think is void of life, but surprisingly has what appears to be its own ecosystem.
IMG_5730 (2).jpgIMG_7352.JPGIMG_7387.JPG

Charles Drives Things

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate III

Highlands Ranch, CO, USA
First Name
Charles
Last Name
Townsend
Member #

No, you can not take any motorized vehicle into the dunes. You are allowed to hike and camp (with a permit and you have to be a certain amount of distance into the dunes); some areas you are allowed to ride horses.
View attachment 124504

Here is a better picture from the top of the dune: Google Maps

I recommend (at least once) hiking into the dunes, and do it barefoot ( the different elevations provide different coarseness, different angles to the sun provide wild temperature swings, but there is a magic zone that has the most enjoyable feeling on your feet).

It is a spectacular place, that you would think is void of life, but surprisingly has what appears to be its own ecosystem.
View attachment 124505View attachment 124506View attachment 124507
That looks amazing! Hopefully we can make something work next year!

Reactions: JCarter