• HTML tutorial

Contributor II

Florence, Ravalli County, Montana, United States
First Name
Kristyn
Last Name
Wardlow
Member #

So I'm looking to get a jeep to convert to an overland vehicle slowly but it's already got over 200k miles and needs a lot of work, I don't have the best job and not much in savings, would a project vehicle be something I should consider? I'm also not the best with vehicles and have little to no knowledge on rebuilding engines or anything like that.

ThundahBeagle

Rank V

Advocate I

Massachusetts
First Name
Andrew
Last Name
Beagle
Member #

Those 1999's have the 4.0 six cyl engine or the 4.7 8 cyl. The 4.0 is practically unkillable and is. Very easy to work on. It's the same 6 cyl as in the Wranglers of the same time period. Everything is within reach and nothing is really too difficult. Starter, oil filter, spark plugs, fuel rail. I know because I have one

Brakes on these are all disc, so the easiest brake on a production vehicle.

You could learn a lot while repairing and building this thing - IF you have a place to park it off the street and a decent place to work on it.

You said it needs a lot of work. If you dont know much about cars, that's ok. But what makes you say that, then? What is the work it needs, if you know?

4L_Warrior

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

East Bay Ca.
First Name
Ed
Last Name
Galvan
Member #

Like ThundahBeagle said...

That era of Jeeps especially with the 4.0L are bulletproof and fairly easy to work on. I have a 1998 Grand Cherokee Laredo that I would drive to Montana today!!! LOL...

A couple of things. How much do they want for it?? And does it have the more desirable SELECT-TRAC drivetrain?

Like TB said, parts are pretty cheap and YouTube will be your best friend.

Reactions: ThundahBeagle

ThundahBeagle

Rank V

Advocate I

Massachusetts
First Name
Andrew
Last Name
Beagle
Member #

Right on, 4L ! Selec-Trac all the way! That's more like the 1990's GMT-400 select between 2wd, neutral, 4hi and 4lo. That's what you want. The other one is sort of an all-wheel-drive all the time option, most often coupled with the 4.7 liter 8 cyl, but not always.

Interestingly, the '98 is the last of the ZJ while the '99 starts the WJ generation, but they share so much drivetrain. I was actually looking for a ZJ when I found this WJ. Needed a little work but the guy selling bragged about being a BMW guy, but early knowing NOTHING about cars. He thought the gas tank needed to be replaced when it was just the pump, just above and slightly forward of it.

I put a 2 inch Iron Rock Offroad lift (full springs, not spacers), Pro Comp 9000 shocks, new spring perch isolators and Moog antosway bar links. Took it for a ride. Tight in the parking lot but total death wobble at 55 over potted highway. So I checked and replaced the steering drag link with one from Crown and it was tight as a drum.

Reactions: 4L_Warrior

DocAldo

Rank IV
Investor

Enthusiast III

Tijuana, Baja California, Mexico
First Name
Doug
Last Name
Alderson
Member #

Service Branch
US Army
Got a awesome 2008, 130K miles (extremely low driving miles vs year), 1500 Quad Cab Ram fully outfitted, ROCK SOLID 5.7l HEMI. has Lietner modular, RIDg ultimate swing away, 5 new TOYO all terrain and matching 5 x 20" FUEL wheels all less that 500 miles on, K&N air, Thrustmaster 3" exhaust, smoking sound system, GFC with 220wat solar panel, Dometic CX90, 6" Rough Country lyft for 35" Toyos, new brakes rotors and pads, pulse one extra set of un used rotors. UHF/VHF digital FM radio pulse CB, Procomp 3" LED on bull bar, 5" over windshield, 4 x Baja Design amber fogs, 2 x ProComp ditch lights and 4 x ProComp exterior in camp lights, Black Rapter liner, front and rear Road Armor "Lone Star edition" steal bumpers, Warn 1200 winch, man/BT. Clean title,. single owner ordered from factory, via Carson Dodge Carson City Nevada. Oil changes every 4k miles or four months which ever came first, all service completed either by Bob Baker Dodge Carlsbad CA., Balboa Dodge San Diego CA. or Pierson Dodge National City, CA. "Mile of Cars." Again SOLID this truck has never broke down, ZERO warranty issues. Bough when they offered a COMPETE Drive Train (both pumkins, transition and engine) Warrenty. Which explains why it was made to last. lol

40k non negotional, basically you are getting the truck at $0, paying for only equipment. Again no issues, no worries about selling, sound truck, but selling will advance my 2022 Powerwagon to a Prospector XL $24k and my Alucab $33k price tags..

Also I have my 2017 Grand Cherokee Summit, 35k in milage, 5.7L HEMI, Brown, FULLY LOADED (safety, security) only option not ordered was Video Cams VCR for head rests, again ordered from the factory via Carson Dodge. Currently garaged in Carson City Nevada.

Jeep was to be my tradein for my 2022 Powerwagon, but they only wanted to give me 35K as tradein and sell it for 50k lol, didn't happen paid new truck out right just under $77 TT and Title, but that money was from a home sell and was earmarked for the upgrades on my new truck. if sold it would be a FIRM $45 USD, ZERO accidents, super low milage fully loaded. SERIOUS INQUIRES 775-870-5411

Attachments

Last edited:

Shakes355

Rank V
Launch Member

Traveler III

Bellingham, WA, USA
First Name
Chris
Last Name
Adams
Member #

Without knowing what the Jeep needs or how your finances are, I don't think anyone here can offer you sound advice.

There are just as many Jeeps out there that become hardcore money-pits as there are nice projects. I say that having been there and set myself back multiple years of financial stability dumping money into a project I didn't know any better about (at the time). I don't necessarily regret it because the experience was valuable, but the rewards are not without risk.

If you're having second thoughts, I'd recommend putting together a hard list of expected costs (the things you know it needs and who's fixing it) then doubling it and adding tax. If that number doesn't make you snort, then it might be worth a try. Otherwise, it's worth waiting until it feels less uncomfortable.

Best of luck

ThundahBeagle

Rank V

Advocate I

Massachusetts
First Name
Andrew
Last Name
Beagle
Member #

Got a awesome 2008, 130K miles (extremely low driving miles vs year), 1500 Quad Cab Ram fully outfitted, ROCK SOLID 5.7l HEMI. has Lietner modular, RIDg ultimate swing away, 5 new TOYO all terrain and matching 5 x 20" FUEL wheels all less that 500 miles on, K&N air, Thrustmaster 3" exhaust, smoking sound system, GFC with 220wat solar panel, Dometic CX90, 6" Rough Country lyft for 35" Toyos, new brakes rotors and pads, pulse one extra set of un used rotors. UHF/VHF digital FM radio pulse CB, Procomp 3" LED on bull bar, 5" over windshield, 4 x Baja Design amber fogs, 2 x ProComp ditch lights and 4 x ProComp exterior in camp lights, Black Rapter liner, front and rear Road Armor "Lone Star edition" steal bumpers, Warn 1200 winch, man/BT. Clean title,. single owner ordered from factory, via Carson Dodge Carson City Nevada. Oil changes every 4k miles or four months which ever came first, all service completed either by Bob Baker Dodge Carlsbad CA., Balboa Dodge San Diego CA. or Pierson Dodge National City, CA. "Mile of Cars." Again SOLID this truck has never broke down, ZERO warranty issues. Bough when they offered a COMPETE Drive Train (both pumkins, transition and engine) Warrenty. Which explains why it was made to last. lol

40k non negotional, basically you are getting the truck at $0, paying for only equipment. Again no issues, no worries about selling, sound truck, but selling will advance my 2022 Powerwagon to a Prospector XL $24k and my Alucab $33k price tags..

Also I have my 2017 Grand Cherokee Summit, 35k in milage, 5.7L HEMI, Brown, FULLY LOADED (safety, security) only option not ordered was Video Cams VCR for head rests, again ordered from the factory via Carson Dodge. Currently garaged in Carson City Nevada.

Jeep was to be my tradein for my 2022 Powerwagon, but they only wanted to give me 35K as tradein and sell it for 50k lol, didn't happen paid new truck out right just under $77 TT and Title, but that money was from a home sell and was earmarked for the upgrades on my new truck. if sold it would be a FIRM $45 USD, ZERO accidents, super low milage fully loaded. SERIOUS INQUIRES 775-870-5411
?

The OP is looking for advice on a 1999 Jeep Grand Cherokee. Not sure he is soliciting sales ads

Reactions: 4L_Warrior

OTH Overland

Local Expert Washington, USA
Investor

Trail Blazer III

Camano Island, WA, USA
First Name
Dave
Last Name
Ballard
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
N7XQP
Service Branch
Fire/EMS/SAR
We have a 2000 Grand, with over 200k an still going strong, ours has the 4.7 with the Quadra Drive II all wheel drive transfer case. Other than leaky valve cover gaskets that I have to fix one day, it still runs strong. The Limited version comes with the full time 4 wheel drive and vari-lock front and rear axles. the 4.7 V8 is a lot tighter fit in the engine bay than the 4.0 I6, but overall not too horrible to work on. only real work other than maintenance we have done is replacing several sensors, alternator, radiator. On the models with the dual zone heating system, the blend doors in the heater box tend to fail, which is a PIA to fix by the book, but there is an aftermarket kit that lets you cut a hole in the box, fix it and patch back up without having to remove most of the dash. We have lifted ours 4" and abuse it off road often, gets us where we want to go in comfort. Lots of aftermarket parts and tons of used parts, they made millions of them. As others have mentioned, if you provide a list of what you think needs to be done to the one you are looking at, and we may be able to give you some idea of what your up against, also what trim level, motor etc would help.

Contributor II

Florence, Ravalli County, Montana, United States
First Name
Kristyn
Last Name
Wardlow
Member #

Sorry for my late response. It's a jeep my dad got as a spare parts or a fixer upper for his other jeep, same model and everything. His was an anniversary gift back in the early 00's and is his baby. The second jeep he got 3 years ago. I have little to no clue what all is wrong with it, he says if it was to be fixed up to drive it would take some small repairs and would drive maybe a year or two before needing the entire engine reworked. It's currently sitting in the yard with a windshield protector. I haven't had the chance to really sit down and talk to him about any of it but I brought up the idea of wanting to buy it off him or help fix it up for myself to drive when my current vehicle can't drive me anymore.

I know it has the 4wd lol and hi, as well as part time and full time. The interior and seats are fine it's the engine that is messed up from what I understand. I'll need to talk to him more about it to see what all really needs fixed, and I'm a hands on person so fixing it up with him will help me learn to do all the repairs for future by myself. I'll get back with more details on it and you guys can tell me if it's worth it